ADVERTISEMENT

Gabriel and Giles Recruitment

bmbritt

Cameron Crazy
Feb 5, 2003
Any idea why we are pushing so hard now with Gabriel unless Giles is no longer lock? Definitely wouldn't have room for him at small forward.

Any idea why we are pushing so hard now with Gabriel unless Giles is no longer lock? Definitely wouldn't have room for him at small forward.
Giles projects as a one-and-done, and Gabriel might be viewed as a more raw player who projects to be a 3- or 4-year player.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
Gabriel, Giles and Tatum could play front line together for stretches easily. I don't see any conflict there.

Also, not sure Giles was ever a lock.

Other possibility could be that they are no longer comfortable where they stand with Michael Porter in 2017 class, so they will just take Gabriel in 2016 class in hopes that he develops by Sophomore and Junior year and can contribute in the front court to make up for not getting Porter.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Nobody is a lock until they have officially signed their LOI, but I don't think we would trade places with anyone when it comes to Giles.

As far as Gabriel goes, pretty sure Giles has no effect on the staff expressing interest in another PF.

10 minutes backing up tatum and giles up = 20 minutes right there...

Have a feeling Ingram will still be around when/if Giles, Tatum and Gabriel make it to Durham. Also could see Jeter play PF some this year or next year. A lot of really great players trying to split time at the SF and PF position especially if we are able to land Marques Bolden in class of 2016, as he seems to me to be a pure Center where Jeter is a bit of a tweener.

The only position that seems to mean anything to K is center. That applies to guys like Plumlee who can't dribble well. Everything else is open to experimentation.

Barring injury, I doubt Ingram comes back for a Sophmore season. Could that change? Absolutely, but as of now I'd be shocked, even factoring in his frame/strength.

As for Jeter; he's more than capable of being a dependable 5 because he's aggressive on the boards and has, IMO, the best post footwork of any of the 5 bigs (although Antonio has solid footwork as well, he's just slower and more deliberate).

Sean Obi, by the time conference rolls around, is gonna own the center.

He's a load, but I'm still hearing incredibly raw. I hope you're right, but I'm not expecting more than 10-12 minutes per games this season from Sean. Amile will most definitely play minutes, and I can't see those two sharing a ton of court time.

Reactions: DukeDenver
He's a load, but I'm still hearing incredibly raw. I hope you're right, but I'm not expecting more than 10-12 minutes per games this season from Sean. Amile will most definitely play minutes, and I can't see those two sharing a ton of court time.
Yeah, if Josh Hairston got as many minutes as he did as a senior, Amile will see plenty of time unless he's playing horribly.

If Sean owns the 5, then he will have made record progress, and would have suddenly developed a consistent back-to-the-basket game. The kid is going to be important, and he's tough, but if he's Dukes main 5, then I see trouble in the post in the long-term.

How has Sean been here for 2 years (essentially going into his year 3) and still so under developed as a Center? I don't understand.

Well he is essentially going into his second year at Duke and his first eligible year. Some players love the game of basketball but never develop into good basketball players. Not saying Obi will never be a good basketball player, but it wouldn't be completely ridiculous to suggest that he is not far enough along at this point. There was a reason he was never a highly ranked recruit.

How has Sean been here for 2 years (essentially going into his year 3) and still so under developed as a Center? I don't understand.

Sean has been on campus 13 months. That's not three years. So I don't understand where in the world you came up with that.

Every player has strengths and weaknesses. Sean has many strengths, but right now an explosive offensive game isn't one of them. That doesn't mean he hasn't developed.

His year 3 means, he should really be a Junior by now. If he's a PF then, w/e, the point stands. He's going into his third year as a front court guy.

I understand strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure I understand how by what should be his Junior year, we have to continue to use the "raw" description for him. Sounds like a word used for a guy with very little skills on offense.

I'm not knocking him, btw, I'm excited about him actually and looking forward to his contributions.

His year 3 means, he should really be a Junior by now. If he's a PF then, w/e, the point stands. He's going into his third year as a front court guy.

I understand strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure I understand how by what should be his Junior year, we have to continue to use the "raw" description for him. Sounds like a word used for a guy with very little skills on offense.

I'm not knocking him, btw, I'm excited about him actually and looking forward to his contributions.

You simply aren't making much sense here......

Annnnnyways.....someone mentioned Hairston getting a lot of PT his senior year. Amile is light-years ahead of Hairston so I definitely agree that he will be spending a ton of time on the floor. I'd like to see Coach make it a point to run some offense through Amile which will give him some added confidence to take that elbow jumper and then use his pump-fake ala Chris Bosh to get to the rim where he has shown a nice touch since his freshmen season. Not having to worry about taking offense away from Okafor should open things up this year.

Maybe your not very bright then. I don't now how else to explain this thing.

Yeah I'm done on this one Denver. I've already derailed this thread as it is.

Wow, just wow. Perhaps you should touch-up on the grammar skills prior to trying to insult someone else's intelligence.

Thank you for letting it go; you were going nowhere, fast.

Let's stay on track fellas and cease with the petty insults. I will, however, add that the two most moronic things I consistently see on Rivals messageboards are:

1) Criticizing someone's grammar as a way of retorting to an insult.

2) Calling someone butthurt. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I doubt I'm alone in noticing these.

Let's stay on track fellas and cease with the petty insults. I will, however, add that the two most moronic things I consistently see on Rivals messageboards are:

1) Criticizing someone's grammar as a way of retorting to an insult.

2) Calling someone butthurt. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I doubt I'm alone in noticing these.

Let's get past this and go on with the thread. It's too good of a thread for it to go in this direction. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
It's funny b/c this year we have 4 guys that can play the 4-5 spots together- like we did in 2010, which we've all said. As for the OP question....Gabriel is a huge big time talent, no reason we should not go after him. I dont think he's a OAD and while he will play behind HG, he would definitely play. This year we'll rotate 4 guys in that spot (not even counting Ingram if/when he plays some 4). Minutes will be there, and more importantly SO. year they will be his. No reason not to go after him and it has nothing to do with our recruitment of HG positively/negatively/otherwise.

Mark, really, I am far from a grammar-king, but to attempt to insult someone for being "stupid" and then not being able to formulate a decent sentence? You should add that to your definition of "moronic", or just add:

3) taking an indirect jab at someone AFTER recommending that "we cease with the petty insults".

Priceless.

I suggest that all of you bickering in this thread, please move on. This thread is a good one that if you read close enough has some good stuff in it. (namely timos last post)

Thank you in advance.

I wonder if Antonio factors in anywhere in a potential rotation, or does he get redshirted this year (barring injury of course)? It just appears to be too crowded for him if everyone stays healthy.....

I wonder if Antonio factors in anywhere in a potential rotation, or does he get redshirted this year (barring injury of course)? It just appears to be too crowded for him if everyone stays healthy.....
I would hope, given the numbers we have heading into this upcoming season, that Antonio gets redshirted. I think he could follow the same trajectory as Marshall, who also redshirted, when it's all said and done.

Hey guys, let me try to steer this back to the original subject. Just saw @ESPNRNHoops from @Reggie Rankin that Harry Giles official Visit dates are:

Sept. 19 - Wake Forest
Sept. 25 - North Carolina
Oct. 10 - Kansas
Oct. 16 - Kentucky
Oct. 31 - Duke

Let's keep our fingers crossed, hope nothing changes, and give Mr. Giles a big Duke welcome on the 31st.!!!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

I'd be shocked if Antonio or as I like to say, "Tone", doesn't redshirt this season. Makes zero sense for him not too. He'll be a role player his whole career, and if he approaches that with the attitude that Marshall did during his career, he will be successful.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
I'd be shocked if Antonio or as I like to say, "Tone", doesn't redshirt this season. Makes zero sense for him not too. He'll be a role player his whole career, and if he approaches that with the attitude that Marshall did during his career, he will be successful.
Before we anoint "Tone" as a "role player his whole career," maybe K (not we) should see him play some hoops. And when you compare him to Marshall as being successful, I ask, "Successful at what, exactly?" If he wants to hang around college for five years, and maybe even get an advanced degree, then, fine, I agree, as long as it's paid for.
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT