ADVERTISEMENT

Free Throws

crazyduke3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2010
So now that we celebrated and our boys fought there way back for a deserved win...

can we talk about what we all were ripping our hair out over?

I was sure on my life those free throws were going to do us in. But by some miracle we survived.

What do you fellas think?

Nothing is more frustrating than watching a team shoot FTs the way Duke did last night. Especially when the PG goes 0-3 and shoots at a 60% rate.

It can cost you in March. See Memphis 2008.

Bagley, Carter, Javin, and Duval should be putting in 500 FT makes a day from here on out.

We have to lead the country in missing the front end of a one-n-one, even Grayson did last night.
It's definitely a flaw of ours, but ultimately if we play our A game, I don't even think we will need to worry about icing a close game at the end with free throws.

We had improved so much with our free throw shooting through the middle of the year, now it seems we have gone backwards in a hurry. This will bite us in the tournament. Let's hope our defense and rebounding can bail us out!!!
OFC

Free throws definitely were frustrating. We had been shooting great from the line. But missed free throws are not from a lack of effort or basic discipline.

What should be intolerable is zero effort to box out. Repeatedly from almost the whole team. For years. I am so tired of watching multiple Duke players star gazing up at the rim after a shot at the defensive end. We just lost a game on a follow shot with 3 seconds left from a guy who was smaller than both of our bugs who had a body on nobody. Last night our only senior lets Pinson cruise right past him for a follow and one near the end of the game that could have derailed us. Hell,, just the foul alone-Carter, I think could have been disastrous.

I just don't get it. I cannot remember a Duke player in the last 15 years who plays harder than Grayson. He does it all the time. Matt Jones did it all the time too, so it is not just offensively oriented guys. Why can't this be fixed?!

Coul
I hate even saying this....but I think free throws are ultimately what does this team in.

Could very well be. Sooner or later it's gonna get you. I keep rec league scores and the players there shoot a higher per cent than Duke. OFC

It's really strange how some guys make most,other guys miss most.they've been doing it since they started school,most have taken thousands,maybe 10's of thousands either in games or practice,they should be able to be taught technique,so the rest must be mental

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT