ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

How many different combinations have we seen already this year?

When is the last time we played 10 games and showed the ability to be this interchangeable?

Did anyone think we could have won with Vernon, Cassius and Matthew combining for less than 15 total minutes played in the second half.

Who wants another beer?
This is a great oh s**t note for other acc opponents.

Great road win. They came out hot but we settled and K made great adjustments. We need this K every game please. Cassius must not be all the way ready yet. I had a feeling Wendell would do good in this game. This is the type of game for him. He will excel in games when the pace is fast like this. Defense locked down in the second half. 22 points.

Reactions: Quavarius
Wasn’t able to catch the game but see we had a huge second half! Great road win!

I’m happy Alex finally saw a few go through, but I was more happy after he missed a jumper and on the very next possession pull the ball on the deck, drove and made a great pass. I thought that was a huge confidence builder.
Hopefully he can build off of this

Not that I disagree with you, but K actually broke a habit in not sticking with his standard 6 man rotation.

That’s the story with this team and the beauty of 10 deep. It doesn’t mean 10 guys will play every game. It means you have 10 guys to choose from when the chips are down. I loved K’s decision making with the lineups tonight.

That’s the story with this team and the beauty of 10 deep. It doesn’t mean 10 guys will play every game. It means you have 10 guys to choose from when the chips are down. I loved K’s decision making with the lineups tonight.

Great post. I was thinking along the same thought. Joey didn't score but 2 points tonight. The last couple of games he has made some really big shots. I don't think we have but one or two guys that are going to be consistent scorers every game but we have several that can have big nights. Then we have guys like Jack that silently is consistent in their own way playing solid D, getting loose balls, getting a block here or there and grabbing rebounds. Doing those things that sometimes go un noticed on a consistent basis. OFC

Last edited:
This team has a chance to be really good come March. Hope they continue to grow and develop. I love how balanced we are.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Sorry to ask, someone that watched; how did Cassius look? I saw he only played like 7 minutes. Did he look hobbled at all or just other players were playing better?

Good gracious what a wonderful night in Blacksburg.

I will say this though....young is a good coach and they will be a handful when he gets his system running fully with all the players he wants

Reactions: timo0402
QUOTE="retiredsoldier, post: 11389256, member: 32325"]Should be some kind of state law for being that dumb![/QUOTE]

They must have read my post about the payment getting there at halftime. Things really changed after that. ;) OFC

Last edited:
Just a heads up if your are going to the game in Blacksburg tonight...

Notice for Friday
The Blacksburg Christmas Parade is also taking place Friday from 7 – 8 PM. This may affect traffic to/from the basketball game. Please plan accordingly. We recommend fans avoid using Prices Fork (at the intersection of Toms Creek Road/Stanger Street), the roundabout at Prices Fork/Main Street, and Main Street from the roundabout to Eheart Street, as this is the parade route and staging will occur as early as 6 PM. Additionally, College Avenue to Draper will be closed from Noon – 10 PM for holiday festivities. Parking downtown will be limited.

So that's why the refs payment didn't get there until halftime. My contact told me it was a traffic jam. I didn't believe him. I apologize to him. ;)OFC

I honestly can't get over how good Carey is already. He seemed to be dropping in the rankings and some here seemed concerned about his motor, but he's the best player on the team right now. He's been terrific.

Moore was much more patient and much more composed tonight. Great to see.

Great to see Goldwire, the Slim Reaper and Baker all contribute as well.

I think the eventual ideal lineup will be Tre-Carey-Hurt-Baker and someone else. Double or triple Carey and you've got Hurt and Baker waiting at the arc.

2 really great road wins. This team is scrappy and is getting better.

How many different combinations have we seen already this year?

When is the last time we played 10 games and showed the ability to be this interchangeable?

Did anyone think we could have won with Vernon, Cassius and Matthew combining for less than 15 total minutes played in the second half.

Who wants another beer?

after several seasons of low bench utilization it is so refreshing to see coach K use his bench effectively.

Shooting is still spotty from 3. Key ones in the first but not great overall last night. If we shoot well from 3 over the course of a game we will be very hard to beat. I hope that continues to come on for Trey and others.

Defense was not super in the first half but essentially we held VT to 18 points over the first 19:30 of the 2nd half. That’s quality even if they shot poorly. I love that this team is capable of playing very good D - including the freshmen.

As much as last year had explosive flash and notoriety, this team has the potential to go just as far or further depending on how confident we shoot and how well they continue to grow and develop overall.

I missed the game last night. The N&O said K was coming off one of the toughest weeks in a long time, what were they referring to?

Edit - found it:

"This is a tough week for our team. This is the toughest week I’ve had in years for a basketball team. We played at Michigan State in a 9:30 game and got back at four in the morning on Wednesday. This is the biggest week academically for us, it is the week before exams. Our kids have projects due, two of them took tests up at Michigan State. We had to stay in Roanoke last night, we got in early so we gave them time because some of them had projects due by midnight. We didn’t want to come here for a shoot around because of the bus ride and we play this game on the road. For us to play the last 18 minutes like that is just sensational. We played great, great defense."

Amazing how they have to do school work.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT