ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Vs Pittsburgh

just dont understand throwing 3 straight times and freezing the clock so we leave pitt time to go down the field and score the game winner. not when we are averaging 6.6 yards per carry for the game!!!!!!!
and that includes the "sneak" plays of quinton harris coming in and running 6 times straight up the middle. who doesnt know thats coming? FRAAACCKK
cutcliffe record vs the new hires in acc
0-3 vs mendenhall
0-4 vs narduzzi
0-3 vs fuente
dont mind getting beat but these self inflicted losses are driving me nuts. helm drops easy td pass. jones fumbles inside pitt 10 before half to take points away. defense never adjusting to pitts game plan. calling three straight passes (although to be fair the second pass the receiver was wide open, jones just missed him) to leave time for pitt at end of the game. just bad karma for all involved.

Well... That... Sucked... Offense was great for stretches, but also had bad stretches because of questionable play calling... Defense never got off the bus. Period. Pathetic.

Our staff is married to the passing game even though we have good sized boys now, unlike the days we couldn't run on anybody. We're missing Britton bad. Not because we don't have other good running backs, good lord we can run when we want to. But he is a game changer and gives us a great one-two punch that we don't get without him.

Daniel is a great athlete but is struggling to realize he's not a pure pocket passer. Maybe that's on the staff, I don't know. Maybe it's his own mentality.

Our defense has been considered a strength and got exposed last week against Virginia. We can do well against passing teams with 5 dbs, but the run defense suffers. When a team is ramming it down your throat, substitute linebackers or another tackle for those safeties and run a 46 bear defense.

I am not happy... And at this point we need a serious revival from within the unit to win another game. Carolina is looking better than their record. We look worse.

Defense was exposed vs Va Tech also. Worst tackling I have seen in a Duke team in a long while. We have no one "spotting" opposing team qb's. No perimeter defense. No half-time adjustments. Even with all of the supposed pass coverage, their receivers get wide open. Hell, UNCheat gave UVA a better game than we did. Clemson may score 100 against our defense. I never thought I would say this, but bring back Knowles.

Agreed guys its not a pretty picture as we head to Miami....If Cut cant right the ship for another win, he'll have presided over back to back seasons of six game losing streaks. Its time regardless for Kevin White and Cut to take a serious and realistic look at state of the program.

Cut is 64 years old, still fairly young, but looks like an extremely tired man to me. Is the grind catching up.???After blowing the Pitt game, he said "we're down as we can be." We'll find out if he has the savvy to rally this group.

Enough about injuries already. The Pitt game was there for the taking w/one more first down late.....OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
I am dumbfounded. Just watched an interview with Cutcliffe in which he actually said that the defense against Pitt had improved, yes improved, from the UVA game. Go figure.

DI I saw the SAME INTERVIEW and thought I was hearing the SAME VERBAGE!!! Is the man going SENILE right before our eyes!!!:confused:

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Wow, I can't believe the biggest Duke football fans on here are giving up on Cut.

I remember 1971 (I'm sure Hart does too) when Duke started well and then ran out of steam because when injuries came, Duke just didn't have the subs to play at the same level. It's the same way now. When you are recruiting 2 and 3 star athletes and coaching them up to start in the ACC, you can't expect the subs to play at the same level.

College Football is a war of attrition and the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world have 4 star athletes waiting their turn on the bench. Duke doesn't have that luxury. So every coaching decision that goes wrong is magnified because the players aren't athletic enough to compensate.

I'm as frustrated as anyone but I remember where we were 10 years ago and I"m glad to be where we are.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Wow, I can't believe the biggest Duke football fans on here are giving up on Cut.

I remember 1971 (I'm sure Hart does too) when Duke started well and then ran out of steam because when injuries came, Duke just didn't have the subs to play at the same level. It's the same way now. When you are recruiting 2 and 3 star athletes and coaching them up to start in the ACC, you can't expect the subs to play at the same level.

College Football is a war of attrition and the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world have 4 star athletes waiting their turn on the bench. Duke doesn't have that luxury. So every coaching decision that goes wrong is magnified because the players aren't athletic enough to compensate.

I'm as frustrated as anyone but I remember where we were 10 years ago and I"m glad to be where we are.
You are missing the point. Cut has been claiming that this was his deepest team ever. Our recruiting classes supposedly have vastly improved over the last 2-3 years(although I do not see it). The gap between the first and second string defenses should therefore be relatively small. The Pitt game tells us that it is huge. Even before Cut got here I do not remember teams running against us with the ease that Pitt did. So it boils down to this. Do we satisfy ourselves with annual 5, 6, or 7 win seasons, and concede that no one can do better than Cut at Duke; or do we try our best to improve, even if it means eventually replacing Cut. Remember, teams like Boise State, Navy, Northwestern, Cincinnati, and others have had really good seasons without 4 and 5 stars. Cut is entitled to a few more years (no more than 3) to prove his worth, and he needs to start by hiring legitimate OC's and DC's.

No one said anything about "giving up on Cut Liftee." I well remember that '71 team, but I contend those injuries were WORSE because at least a couple defensive guys ( Rich Searl and Ernie Jackson were forced to play both sides of ball).

Also, the "where we used to be" and "where we are now" argument has become stale.Sure i am glad we compete for bowls now, and the Franks/Roof days are over. However we are slipping into mediocrity since the '13 coastal title, and '15 Pinstripe Bowl win. We are 16-17 since 2016 and losing ground by the second in the Coastal.Since coaching changes at UVA, Va Tech, Pitt and Miami, Cut is 0-12 against those 4 coastal teams. Thats a telling sign Cut needs some wholesale changes amongst his staff. However for the record Duke Football is dear to my heart, and I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM!

QUOTE="Devilinside, post: 11291529, member: 1802"]You are missing the point. Cut has been claiming that this was his deepest team ever. Our recruiting classes supposedly have vastly improved over the last 2-3 years(although I do not see it). The gap between the first and second string defenses should therefore be relatively small. The Pitt game tells us that it is huge. Even before Cut got here I do not remember teams running against us with the ease that Pitt did. So it boils down to this. Do we satisfy ourselves with annual 5, 6, or 7 win seasons, and concede that no one can do better than Cut at Duke; or do we try our best to improve, even if it means eventually replacing Cut. Remember, teams like Boise State, Navy, Northwestern, Cincinnati, and others have had really good seasons without 4 and 5 stars. Cut is entitled to a few more years (no more than 3) to prove his worth, and he needs to start by hiring legitimate OC's and DC's.[/QUOTE]

Preach my friend!!!!

OFC

I actually agree with both you guys and we are all on the same side. I also agree that in 3 years or so it will be time for a change to take Duke to the next level. I thought we would have greater depth this year but it hasn't worked out that way. Let's see what the rest of the season looks like and have this discussion again.

I love Coach Cut. He did what I never thought possible by making Duke actually be relevant to the point of being spoken about without being the worst team in division 1 football.

However, I do get frustrated because I believe we have not made adjustments to the times. What worked just 5 years ago no longer has the same effect. Football is evolution and you either go with it or get stuck.

Even Tom Osborne did this. He had a pro style offense in the 70s, a option attack in the 80s and was among the first to run option from the Gun in the 90s. He also changed from a 5-2/3-4 to a 4-3 when the Florida schools kept beating him.

Nebraska is a blue blood and lives in a different world when it comes to getting athletes. However, the principal remains the same.

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT