ADVERTISEMENT

Duke expectations for the New Year!

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
I don't know about the rest of you but I have high hopes for this team IN '19!!! Only loss to a SOLID GONZAGA team on really a controversial ending (K said Barrett was likely fouled), and otherwise some impressive wins. Kentucky win looks much better now after they beat the holes, and Auburn, Texas Tech were solid wins too...

This group is exciting, seems to genuinely like one another and does something lost on couple past Duke teams. It plays Defense! I am not a Seth Greenberg fan but agree with a quote he had recently: "A couple years ago they were uke w/o the D." He went on to add the D is back and they are Duke with the defense. One of the few times I agreed with him.
#SightsOnSix

OFC

Last edited:
Play solid basketball and win us a natty. I really want Coach K to win at least one more. This team has better than a good chance of winning it. We got to avoid injuries and that period which seems to happen every year where we don't play well for a couple of games but still win then lose a couple in a row we should have won. The expectations should be high with this team but there are a lot of teams that can win it. Play each game one at a time without looking ahead and stay focused , hustle, play hard to win and show no mercy no matter what the lead is. I remember how intense and focussed players like Laettner, Hill, Hurley, Battier, Scheyer, Smith! Singler, Ty Jones and others of course had. They had the look in their eyes. Who has the look on this year's team? OFC

step0002.jpg

The expectations every year, no matter how far-fetched, are the same. Win. Then win on the biggest stage.

Since New Year’s Day of 2013, I think this team is positioned best to win a championship. People forget how good we were prior to Ryan getting hurt that season. And in general, that was a ‘down’ year by NCAA standards. Losing to Maryland in the ACC quarters still drives me mad. Not only did it cost us a #1 seed, it put us in Louisville’s bracket.

Now I know I left the 2015 team off the list, but they struggled guarding their shadow at the turn of the new year, and I don’t need to remind anyone about how frustrating January was that season.

Last edited:
I don't know about the rest of you but I have high hopes for this team IN '19!!! Only loss to a SOLID GONZAGA team on really a controversial ending (K said Barrett was likely fouled), and otherwise some impressive wins. Kentucky win looks much better now after they beat the holes, and Auburn, Texas Tech were solid wins too...

This group is exciting, seems to genuinely like one another and does something lost on couple past Duke teams:plays Defense! I am not a Seth Greenberg fan but agree with a quote he had recently: "A couple years ago they were uke w/o the D." He went on to add the D is back and they are Duke with the defense. One of the few times I agreed with him.
#SightsOnSix

OFC
Good post Hart. Really like this team, and hope they keep playing together. This has the feel of the Duke teams of old, where defense makes offense, and seeing K get on to them for lackluster play. One game K got mad at them and slammed his chair down. That’s the K I love seeing, and the kids did what his old teams did, respond to the a** chewing by going on a run.

I like our chances.

This group is exciting, seems to genuinely like one another and does something lost on couple past Duke teams:plays Defense! I am not a Seth Greenberg fan but agree with a quote he had recently: "A couple years ago they were uke w/o the D." He went on to add the D is back and they are Duke with the defense. One of the few times I agreed with him.
#SightsOnSix

OFC

This is gonna be a good thread I feel. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Good post Hart. Really like this team, and hope they keep playing together. This has the feel of the Duke teams of old, where defense makes offense, and seeing K get on to them for lackluster play. One game K got mad at them and slammed his chair down. That’s the K I love seeing, and the kids did what his old teams did, respond to the a** chewing by going on a run.

I like our chances.
Thank you Mac and I like the fight K showed there too!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Who has the look on this year's team?

I think Tre and Zion absolutely have it. Especially Zion. He just looks so intense and hustles big time. That doesn't mean the rest of the players aren't just as focussed. I believe this entire team really wants to win and prove they are as good as their ranking coming in. And they have a great chance to do it. When playing well, I believe we are better than anyone else playing well also. When the tournament starts, I feel like for us to lose, we have to be a little off and the other team has to play really well. I think it will take a lot to beat this team when they are locked in.

I just want K to look happier and Javin to shoot more 3’s.
K is happier, this team is coachable. And yeah, I would like for Javin to occasionally ‘want’ to shoot.

You think maybe smart a** posts like you just made keep things divided around here? You act like others are pissy, yet you bring up posts like this just to poke people, and because I’m one who doesn’t share the exact same views as you.

Thank God I don’t.

Last edited:
I think the overreaction to such posts is more likely to have that effect.
Yep, one day in and already failed at one of my new year resolutions.

I should realize that the board can’t even make it to Jan 2nd before we take little pot shots at each other.
Happy new year to you too Datt.

LoL , Mac you play “victim “ so well, you should be an actor. Poke a lil fun at ya and yo go all temper tantrum. At least Hart can take a joke.

Just want the coaches and players to stay healthy. Also, would love to continue watching the team defense improve as well as the team’s 3 point shooting.

Reactions: skysdad
My expectation is us by double digits in every game, the rest of the year...now I know that's not going to happen, but Everytime we tip, I expect us to look like we did against ky!!

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
I'd like to hear that the entire team has been holed up at the practice facility since the day after Christmas shooting foul shots and everyone has improved by at least 5%. I think that could save a win somewhere down the road.

20 year anniversary of what I feel was the best Duke team ever, and arguably one of the best college basketball teams ever.

I want the same type of season from this group but a different ending in the title game.

That's not to much to ask for is it. Hahaha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT