ADVERTISEMENT

Covid--contingency plans

Condolences to you and your family for your loss. However, I am not intending to get into the discussion about the vaccine more than I am challenging the attitude towards people who bring up the actual fact that the vaccine does not slow the spread. Its effectiveness on the severity may well be worth getting the vaccine for some regardless. My point, is that given the fact that it does not prevent you from getting the virus and spreading it, there is no reason to treat the vaccinated any differently than the unvaccinated and there is no logical reason to mandate it.

We make choices for our health every day. The whole idea that you are being selfish by not thinking about other people if you choose not to get vaccinated is a political tactic to pin us against each other. We never treated people differently for choosing not to get the flu shot. And as you pointed out, this is much like the flu. Fact is, we need to take care of ourselves and not worry about whether someone else is vaccinated or not. This is a completely manageable virus that can be mitigated through healthy life choices and treatment. We could have learned to live with this virus and not hide from it long ago by focusing more on the above than the unrealistic goal to get everyone vaccinated. We are almost a year in to the mass vaccine roll out and there is no reason to believe that the vaccine is the answer to ending the pandemic.

I am vaccinated, I did so by choice. But I fully understand and RESPECT people's choice not to. Especially if they are in good health and/or have already had covid.
Couldn’t have said this better myself.

Reactions: sheyduke
Talk about good news/bad news... omicron may not be as severe but it's much more contagious and could do more damage simply by infecting more people.

Except for the inconvenient truth that for the vast majority who get it the symptoms will be runny nose, sore throat, mild fever you know kind of like the common cold that’s been around forever To my knowledge about 10 people have died worldwide of omicron. More are shot and killed in a weeks time in Chicago. If we allow our exalted leaders to shut down our lives again for this, we are doomed

Just saw this but also saw a post earlier that I can't find that Coach K believes there should be regular covid testing. I'm leaning on Coach Martin's sentiments in this situation.

Just saw this but also saw a post earlier that I can't find that Coach K believes there should be regular covid testing. I'm leaning on Coach Martin's sentiments in this situation.
As we are slowly seeing, this vaccination will end up being one of the biggest con jobs ever pulled on the people.....pharma and others are capitalizing all in the name of guilt and shaming.

As we are slowly seeing, this vaccination will end up being one of the biggest con jobs ever pulled on the people.....pharma and others are capitalizing all in the name of guilt and shaming.
Elizabeth Warren tweets that she is grateful that she has mild covid symptoms which she attributes to getting the vaccine and booster. Maybe or maybe she’s ignoring the fact that most people with covid had mild or even no symptoms before there was a vaccine

Coach Martin is using too much common sense. Coach K has been brainwashed by the duke medical team and whoever else that are still requiring masking and testing on a campus where they have over 95% of the population vaccinated. It’s actually pretty sad. Duke is so stupid that they were testing employees that were working REMOTE! Like they were required to come in one day a week to get TESTED! Think about how stupid that is. You’re working remotely because of Covid but still requiring them to come in one day a week just to take a Covid test. But yeah, anyone that opposes any of this is the crazy one.

Surprisingly, the NFL is taking a common sense approach going forward by not testing asymptomatic players. This is going to cut back on about 90% of the covid cases in the NFL. If we did this as a general rule, most people wouldn't know covid still existed.

Surprisingly, the NFL is taking a common sense approach going forward by not testing asymptomatic players. This is going to cut back on about 90% of the covid cases in the NFL. If we did this as a general rule, most people wouldn't know covid still existed.
And then all of a sudden it’s, oh, I have a cold. Carry on.

And then all of a sudden it’s, oh, I have a cold. Carry on.
The nfl finally grew a pair. Or they didn’t want to lose millions of revenue again.
I’d like to think it’s that they grew a pair, but either way, they made the right move.

The best comment made during Duke’s game the other day was by the announcer that used to be on Duke’s staff, when he said there’s no leadership in the ncaa. I couldn’t agree more. At least Coach Martin has stepped up.

I never thought I’d see a day where another coach has bigger balls than K.

Last edited:
I am glad Duke basketball is aggressively pursuing the fight against Covid. Duke tests more frequently than most other schools, and this nugget from Jeff Goodman I feel shows the fallacy of less testing:

Why wait til the kids feel bad to test in this flare-up which threatens the season? JMO, thx-

OFC

I am glad Duke basketball is aggressively pursuing the fight against Covid. Duke tests more frequently than most other schools, and this nugget from Jeff Goodman I feel shows the fallacy of less testing:

Why wait til the kids feel bad to test in this flare-up which threatens the season? JMO, thx-

OFC
So by this logic you’ll test until the end of time.

Or you could use common sense and say if you don’t feel well, treat yourself accordingly and stay away from other people. Like we’ve done for literally ever before this craziness.

It is the testing of healthy people that threatens the season. It's time to move on from the failed attempt to hide from the virus and start living with it. Covid is not going anywhere, it is a permanent entity in the world, just like rhe rhinovirus. We keep testing healthy people, we keep finding cases we would have never known existed and we keep making guidelines based on irrelevant case numbers. It's ridiculous.

It is the testing of healthy people that threatens the season. It's time to move on from the failed attempt to hide from the virus and start living with it. Covid is not going anywhere, it is a permanent entity in the world, just like rhe rhinovirus. We keep testing healthy people, we keep finding cases we would have never known existed and we keep making guidelines based on irrelevant case numbers. It's ridiculous.
“Irrelevant case numbers”. Exactly; you notice how the patron st of wuhan fraudci never talks about herd immunity anymore?

And just like that Duke University is now requiring all students and employees to get the booster in January.

And just like that Duke University is now requiring all students and employees to get the booster in January.
Another example that education doesn’t mean intelligence.

The saying going around is true that the most washed part nowadays isn’t the hands, it’s the brain.

Reactions: KDSTONE
The problem is that not enough people are vaccinated. Of everyone got it, this goes away. Bottom line. Yes, vaccinated people can carry and spread it. But if everyone is vaccinated, no one gets sick. And yes, I know, vaccinated people are still having symptoms, SOMETIMES, but they are t being hospitalized and dying. At that point, this is just the flu. Get the stupid vaccine

The nfl finally grew a pair. Or they didn’t want to lose millions of revenue again.
I’d like to think it’s that they grew a pair, but either way, they made the right move.

The best comment made during Duke’s game the other day was by the announcer that used to be on Duke’s staff, when he said there’s no leadership in the ncaa. I couldn’t agree more. At least Coach Martin has stepped up.

I never thought I’d see a day where another coach has bigger balls than K.
Worst take ever

The problem is that not enough people are vaccinated. Of everyone got it, this goes away. Bottom line. Yes, vaccinated people can carry and spread it. But if everyone is vaccinated, no one gets sick. And yes, I know, vaccinated people are still having symptoms, SOMETIMES, but they are t being hospitalized and dying. At that point, this is just the flu. Get the stupid vaccine
This is the biggest lie being spread. One day you people will wake up.

Worst take ever

Wow. This is a laughable post, and opinions like yours are why we are still stuck.

When you cough, you probably spit out wool.

Wasn't the point of the Lounge was so that these conversations would be in one place and would not leak out into the basketball discussions?
You’re just upset because your precious admin screwed the pooch in handling covid....

You don’t have any idea how sars vaccines work, do you?

Reactions: KDSTONE
You don’t have any idea how sars vaccines work, do you?
Could you tell us how they work? And since it is too easy to misunderstand the tone an email is written in, I want to make clear that I am not being sarcastic or starting to pick a fight. I am not a scientist and I agree with GHC so if he has gotten it wrong then so have I and am more than willing to be corrected. Thanks.

Could you tell us how they work? And since it is too easy to misunderstand the tone an email is written in, I want to make clear that I am not being sarcastic or starting to pick a fight. I am not a scientist and I agree with GHC so if he has gotten it wrong then so have I and am more than willing to be corrected. Thanks.
His statement that if everyone gets the shot,this goes away is criminally false. Let's start there.

His statement that if everyone gets the shot,this goes away is criminally false. Let's start there.
Well that was not quite his statement. It was a tad bit more nuanced than that. But again, just telling me that something is false does not help. I would like an explanation for why that is wrong.

How are vax mandates working out for the NBA and NFL? Highest positivity rates the past week since it all started when over 95% have been jabbed No one is going to the hospital but no one was in the first place before the vax

And if you need an explanation for why that is wrong, you haven't paid attention to the reality of what is happening and it is probably intentional.

And if you need an explanation for why that is wrong, you haven't paid attention to the reality of what is happening and it is probably intentional.
Of course I have been paying attention. From what I am reading, one of the problems is a lack of access to the most efficacious of the vaccines. Also, it is the unvaccinated who are getting sick and swamping the hospitals and that includes young people, unlike before In fact, even in places like Michigan where they had a better compliance rate than a lot of other states, still millions were unvaccinated. Also, so far, while things look positive, scientists are preaching caution because there is not enough robust data to conclude that Omicron does not pose much a of problem for the vaccinated. This leads me to conclude, like GTHC that the issue is that there is not enough vaccination compliance. Now, Fourteen44 has said that that is the wrong conclusion to draw. and that we are drawing that conclusion because we don't understand how vaccines work He works in the healthcare industry so knows more than me so I would like to hear where we have gone wrong. And as I made clear in my initial post, I was not being sarcastic or trying to pick a fight. I was simply asking so that I could learn.
Why it is that you feel the need to weigh in mostly to tell me that I am stupid/ignorant is beyond me. But, if that makes you happy, rock on. It does not advance the discussion but you are entitled to say whatever you want. I also want to point out that the DBR forum discussion about covid is incredibly helpful. People voice their opinions and when the scientists think that they have drawn the wrong conclusions, they provide useful explanations for why; Very few engage in the name calling and insulting that goes on here.

Of course I have been paying attention. From what I am reading, one of the problems is a lack of access to the most efficacious of the vaccines. Also, it is the unvaccinated who are getting sick and swamping the hospitals and that includes young people, unlike before In fact, even in places like Michigan where they had a better compliance rate than a lot of other states, still millions were unvaccinated. Also, so far, while things look positive, scientists are preaching caution because there is not enough robust data to conclude that Omicron does not pose much a of problem for the vaccinated. This leads me to conclude, like GTHC that the issue is that there is not enough vaccination compliance. Now, Fourteen44 has said that that is the wrong conclusion to draw. and that we are drawing that conclusion because we don't understand how vaccines work He works in the healthcare industry so knows more than me so I would like to hear where we have gone wrong. And as I made clear in my initial post, I was not being sarcastic or trying to pick a fight. I was simply asking so that I could learn.
Why it is that you feel the need to weigh in mostly to tell me that I am stupid/ignorant is beyond me. But, if that makes you happy, rock on. It does not advance the discussion but you are entitled to say whatever you want. I also want to point out that the DBR forum discussion about covid is incredibly helpful. People voice their opinions and when the scientists think that they have drawn the wrong conclusions, they provide useful explanations for why; Very few engage in the name calling and insulting that goes on here.
First. I would like you to point out where I told you that you were stupid or ignorant and where I called you any names.

Where is the data that is showing that young people are being hospitalized significantly? Where is the data that shows that hospitals are being swamped? The goal was to get 70% of the population vaccinated. That was ambitious, but we are very close. The goal was never 100%. It doesn't take 100% to achieve herd immunity, if it does, that means the vaccines are not effective. 100% is a ridiculous and unachievable goal which would make most reasonable people question the motives of our government destroying people's livelihoods and telling everyone what to do with their own health.

I have given examples of just my own personal experience on the knowledge of many people who were fully vaccinated who got sick. 4 were hospitalized including my brother who was in ICU fro 10 days. A Captain of the sheriff's department who died. A nurse who told me straight up that her hospital doesn't disclose vaccine statuses, so the numbers of the vaxxed vs unvaxxed are lies. She, btw, got vaccinated because she was forced to or lose her job and got sick with covid a month after her second shot. This after working around covid patients for over a year without a vaccine and never got sick. We have our head prosecutor and two judges out with covid. I bet you could guess that they are fully vaccinated. These are just local examples from me. There is no doubt that the misinformation and flat out lies regarding the health of the vaccinated is much higher in bigger cities.

How this ends, is we stop the mandates, stop testing healthy people, stop pinning us against each other. Start encouraging better health, start taking the vitamins that have been proven to provide preventative protection from symptomatic illnesses, start promoting therapeutics for those who do get ill and encourage those who are elderly or at increased risk to get the vaccine. Hell, we can encourage everyone who wants to, to get the vaccine. We just need to quit acting like the vaccine is the way out.

I posted on the lounge thread a short video with Dr McCullough, in relation to treating the virus. If you’re sincere about wanting to know more, check out what he says.

Reactions: Another#1Dukie
I posted on the lounge thread a short video with Dr McCullough, in relation to treating the virus. If you’re sincere about wanting to know more, check out what he says.
Thanks Mac. I listened to it and then did a little research on McCullough and let's just say I would not be relying on his advice. But, more to the point, the section you posted did not address how vaccines work, which is what I hope to learn.

In a nutshell vaccines trigger the creation of proteins that strengthen our immune system and enable us to fight disease, without the getting sick part. This is the idea anyway. This particular vaccine is actually more akin to a shot than a vaccine but we’ve discussed that ad nauseum.

Thanks Mac. I listened to it and then did a little research on McCullough and let's just say I would not be relying on his advice. But, more to the point, the section you posted did not address how vaccines work, which is what I hope to learn.
Where did you get your research? What makes you say you wouldn’t rely on his advice? Sure, if we look hard enough, we can find someone who discredits anyone. Which I believe you are doing here. Looking to discredit anyone who isn’t ONLY promoting the vaccine.

I looked at it as a doctor who’s not a politician, and is practicing treating patients. Not a tv doctor, like Fauci, who’s offered nothing but pushing a vaccine. I’m no doctor, nor expert on Covid. But, what I’ve seen, and read, is the vaccine effectiveness wanes after several months.

I firmly believe what McCullough says about treatments for the actual virus. There are other ways as well. Like an oral gargle, combined with a nasal swab, with peroxide that’s diluted with warm water. I’m sure this sounds crazy. Especially since msm hasn’t said it works. They have all the answers.

But, for some strange reason ($$$) our leaders are pushing elsewhere.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Where did you get your research? What makes you say you wouldn’t rely on his advice? Sure, if we look hard enough, we can find someone who discredits anyone. Which I believe you are doing here. Looking to discredit anyone who isn’t ONLY promoting the vaccine.

I looked at it as a doctor who’s not a politician, and is practicing treating patients. Not a tv doctor, like Fauci, who’s offered nothing but pushing a vaccine. I’m no doctor, nor expert on Covid. But, what I’ve seen, and read, is the vaccine effectiveness wanes after several months.

I firmly believe what McCullough says about treatments for the actual virus. There are other ways as well. Like an oral gargle, combined with a nasal swab, with peroxide that’s diluted with warm water. I’m sure this sounds crazy. Especially since msm hasn’t said it works. They have all the answers.

Meanwhile, Kamala shows the first glimmer of political savvy by distancing herself from Sloppy Joe’s vilify the unvaxxed tactics. Saying it’s nobody’s fault. Joe seems to be under the impression still that only white deplorables are refusing the jab when in reality minority groups are lagging behind as well. They love to point out that red southern states have high unvaxxed rates without pointing out that these same states have 30-40% Black populations as well

She is taking a page out of Datts playbook: ad hominem attacks when you are losing an argument and you don’t have a race card to play

Reactions: Mac9192

Glad you stated you aren’t a doctor. That’s good to know. And what about your research?? I love how the anti-vax or COVID deniers say don’t trust the science but then try to use science that works for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT