ADVERTISEMENT

Could Duke actually make the NCAA tournament?

I stand by what I posted in the WF game thread...

We need to beat UVA and go 4-1, but in my estimation, if we do that, we are in unless we have an embarrasing acc tournament loss (i.e. the year VT under Seth Greenberg in 09-10 missed out of ncaas, with the nail in the coffin being a second loss to the worst team in the league in the acc tournament). Couple of things...

1. Let us call a duck a duck: we are Duke. Do not tell me teams do not get a push to be in the tournament because of name (see, the year Zona made the sweet 16 as a 12, the year Zona made the tournament as a 9 and loss to Seton Hall in the first round where the winner played Duke, and the year UCLA beat SMU as a 12 seed when at best, UCLA should have been a play-in).

2. We had what, 5 games cancelled? If we go 4-1 in that stretch, which we would have most likely, how different would the argument look at 13-9?

3. It is hard to justify a road loss at a power 5 as a bad loss. You could argue last year's home loss to SFA was worst than at Miami.

4. There are a lot of teams with WTF losses.

5. Other than vs Illinois, a top 4-seeded team imho, there is no blowout losses. Very few teams can say that...

Plus, it is clear the committee takes into account the team you are going into the tournament. That is why I was so disappointed about last season because with Robinson playing, I really felt Duke was going to have a strong ACC tournament, nab a two, and be a force in the tournament.

And if Duke goes 4-1 the rest of the regular season, picks up a 5-8 seed in the ACC tournament, make the semis (so 2-1), lose a very competitive game in the semis, Duke is 8-2 in their last 10. Do not tell me the committee really does not look at how you are playing going into the tournament. Regardless of winning the dang thing, you cannot convince me UCONN deserved to go from a bubble team to a 3 seed in 2011. So contrary to what they say, the committee puts a lot of emphasis on the conference tournament.

But the fly in the ointment is the committee a lot of times make sh*t up as they go along (Duke being top 2 seed in 13 and put in overall top seed Louisville's bracket in 13. Duke being a 3 in the pod system, being sent to play Colorado State in a fellow conference member's arena and them being sent to Anaheim for the regional semis and finals...

Reactions: Showenuff
Duke can still make it but a win tomorrow vs UVA is a must imo. I think UVAs defense will end up being to much for a bunch of young guys. I’d love to pull it off someway though....

Its still Duke and coach K...they will do everything they can to get us in if it’s close...

We are ranked 8th in the conference. Only 2 or 3 games behind teams that are currently in. We don’t have room for error but if we beat UVA, things will get interesting. The way we been shooting lately, I can see this team winning the ACC Tourney

Reactions: christophero
I too believe we make it if we;

1 - Beat UVA
2 - Go 3-1 against Syracuse, Louisville, Ga Tech & UNC - Not sure what's happening with the Pitt and FL State make up games.
3 - Win 2 games in the ACC tourney

Reactions: christophero
We need a statement win. I think we get it on Saturday then win three of the next four. That should position us really well.

Reactions: skysdad
Cards looked to have had a false positive test and will play Unc full team with Malik Williams first game of season. So they are rested and stacked with him back unfortunately we play them after they get some games and practices. But if cards beat Unc they then play fsu a likely lose. They will be 7-7. We beat cavs and cuse then we are 9-6. Funny how we are so bad but we just about same spot as Unc

If Duke can knock off Virginia, their tournament hopes have a pulse again. Still would have work to do, but would be a huge step in the right direction.

Reactions: sheyduke
I stand by what I posted in the WF game thread...

We need to beat UVA and go 4-1, but in my estimation, if we do that, we are in unless we have an embarrasing acc tournament loss (i.e. the year VT under Seth Greenberg in 09-10 missed out of ncaas, with the nail in the coffin being a second loss to the worst team in the league in the acc tournament). Couple of things...

1. Let us call a duck a duck: we are Duke. Do not tell me teams do not get a push to be in the tournament because of name (see, the year Zona made the sweet 16 as a 12, the year Zona made the tournament as a 9 and loss to Seton Hall in the first round where the winner played Duke, and the year UCLA beat SMU as a 12 seed when at best, UCLA should have been a play-in).

2. We had what, 5 games cancelled? If we go 4-1 in that stretch, which we would have most likely, how different would the argument look at 13-9?

3. It is hard to justify a road loss at a power 5 as a bad loss. You could argue last year's home loss to SFA was worst than at Miami.

4. There are a lot of teams with WTF losses.

5. Other than vs Illinois, a top 4-seeded team imho, there is no blowout losses. Very few teams can say that...
We had 3 non conference games that were cancelled and 2 conference games that were postponed. They could end up being cancelled because it could be difficult to reschedule them before the end of the regular season but as of right now they haven’t been cancelled yet.

Last edited:
Duke can still make it but a win tomorrow vs UVA is a must imo. I think UVAs defense will end up being to much for a bunch of young guys. I’d love to pull it off someway though....

Its still Duke and coach K...they will do everything they can to get us in if it’s close...

Oh Dukes still playing?? Last I heard the season was over weeks ago

SMFH

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT