ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K: Duke's Best Defenders

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/150/

Amaker, Wojo, and Battier.

Have to agree.

I will not soon forget watching Amaker and Dawkins play D. They were the first I recall slapping the floor. That whole team (along with Bilas, Alarie, and Henderson) was really solid defensively.

But, the steals they would get and pressure they would apply to other guards with their D was so phenomenal. I was a K fan and a Duke fan - but watching that D from those two sold me.

Wojo was also a very good defender. Not the quick-style that Amaker had, but Wojo's footwork in his on the ball D was absolutely phenomenal.

Not much really need be said about Battier. One of the most instinctive CBB players in history. He played perfect fundamental D but he had the ability to come up with huge plays on D at just the right time.

I miss a lot of that.

Not to hijack the thread or change the subject but did you notice the article linked inside the article you linked about Grayson having hernia surgery?

Reactions: youngman42
Grayson and I now have something in common. I was 12 at the time. :D OFC

Last edited:
Add Shelden to that list. OFC

Last edited:
Battier, the Landlord, everyone got Branded, Nolan Smith.

FWIW, I always thought JJ was a sneaky good defender. Loved to jump into those passing lanes.

Grayson will be able to resume all basketball activities within six weeks. He's fine.
Yeah I saw that in the article. It just caught my attention when I saw it below the originally mentioned article, so I just thought I'd mention it. As for the original topic, we've had some great defenders at Duke.

I think the top three have to be Battier, Amaker, and King with Shelden a close fourth.

We don't see defenders like that almost anywhere in college basketball anymore that not only impact plays on D, but they impact game plans. This guys you had to game plan around what they were going to do on defense.

Between the offensive Renaissance and the rules changes from 2014, I don't know that we'll see that much anymore.

K was answering off the top of his head. In a later clip, in fact, he said he never said that.

I think the top three have to be Battier, Amaker, and King with Shelden a close fourth.
If you meant Amaker second and King third, I might reverse them, but yes, that would be my Top 4. Grant 5th and Wojo 6th. I could probably round out my Top 10 if I thought about it, and someone else might crack the Top 6. Carrawell, probably. He happened to play in the shadow of Shane Battier, but he could defend every position. Others... Bobby was underrated... Duhon, Nolan, Kyle, Brand... Dahntay, Snyder... Demarcus Nelson, Dock... I'm sure I'm overlooking someone, but I'm also sure there's no clear place to stop.

Wojo took it as far as he could w/ his physical abilities. He was tenacious and smart.
Grant's overall athleticism helped him excel, but he was so balanced his defense sometimes played second fiddle to his offensive ability.
Shelden's shot-blocking was amazing. He struggled away from the paint, though.
Tommy was so quick, hands and feet.
King was quick enough to guard the perimeter, but also long enough to contest shots.
Shane was Shane.

Maybe one day we'll realize just how good a defender Shane Battier was. Not saying anyone is saying that he isn't, but everything from his timing to his thought process each possession was incredible. I really have never seen anything like it.

Reactions: sgrooms
Wojo is my all-time favorite player but he had his limitations against strong or athletic guards. His final game showed that. He just got so much out of his ability.

The landlord was overrated IMO. He was a great shot blocker off the ball...maybe the best I've seen at Duke...but struggled 1v1 against a talented big.

Battler was amazing...the best overall at Duke IMO. Winslow was the best freshman defender I've ever seen. McRoberts was underrated.

He was only here 1 year, but hard to leave Winslow off the list. Best Freshman defender I have ever seen, AT ANY SCHOOL. And helped win us a National Championship.
If he played at Duke 3-4 years, he would have racked up all the Defensive Awards available.

Wojo may have been a good defender by his senior year. Bur during his first two years he could not stay in front of anyone's point guard.

He was only here 1 year, but hard to leave Winslow off the list. Best Freshman defender I have ever seen, AT ANY SCHOOL. And helped win us a National Championship.
If he played at Duke 3-4 years, he would have racked up all the Defensive Awards available.

Lord forgive me for saying this, but Anthony Davis had a better freshman year on defense. 186 blocks on defense,the kid was an absolute nightmare to come across.

I prefer Winslow though for everything else! :)

Singler was awesome on defense. Miss having all these tough d guys on our team.

I wouldn't argue with any of the names listed but I also thought Robert Brickey and Vince Taylor were very good defenders.

How about that in your face and jock strap defense first Taylor King. :D OFC

Last edited:
Lord forgive me for saying this, but Anthony Davis had a better freshman year on defense. 186 blocks on defense,the kid was an absolute nightmare to come across.

I prefer Winslow though for everything else! :)

Singler was awesome on defense. Miss having all these tough d guys on our team.
As far as I'm concerned, NCAA basketball took the year off in 2012 so nothing counts for that season.

For starters, who am I to question Coach K's evaluation of that? He clearly spent far more hours than me looking into it.

With that said, Battier & Shelden would probably be at the top of the list for me (ahead of wojo). I'm not old enough to have watched Amaker. I think Winslow may have had even more natural defensive talent than both, but I just don't think you can compare his overall impact as a freshman than what those guys were doing for the team as a jr. and a sr.

Last edited:
Battier has to have the mantle by a good margin. He was something else.

Wojo's true quality was relative to his physical limitations. And as far as Shelden, he is the reason a lot of people know the phrase "the principle of verticality."

Maybe one day we'll realize just how good a defender Shane Battier was. Not saying anyone is saying that he isn't, but everything from his timing to his thought process each possession was incredible. I really have never seen anything like it.

Yes, what made Shane so good is that he not only defended his own guy well, but he was incredibly astute at putting himself in the right positions to help cover up for defensive lapses by others. Battier was truly a defensive anchor his final couple seasons at Duke -- which is pretty amazing considering the position he played.

Really, the only recent Duke guy I've seen offer that kind of help defense is Singler -- but Singler just didn't have Battier's quickness and athleticism.

Reactions: dukehokie
I always thought that Robert Brickey was a good defender. I would imagine he would be a top 10 defender at Duke.

Reactions: youngman42
Wojo may have been a good defender by his senior year. Bur during his first two years he could not stay in front of anyone's point guard.
Yep, God forbid a kid to work on his game and reach an all time elite level. Instead, lets sit back and ignore the greatness in which he worked his ass off for!

Reactions: dukehokie
Wojo definitely worked his butt off to be a great defender. However, we beat UK in 98 and most likely win the Natty Title if he was one of Duke's best defenders ever. He got picked apart that game.

Wojo definitely worked his butt off to be a great defender. However, we beat UK in 98 and most likely win the Natty Title if he was one of Duke's best defenders ever. He got picked apart that game.
That doesn't even make sense.

That doesn't even make sense.
How does that not make sense?? If he was as good of a defender as Battier or Winslow (which I know, is 0.00001% of players) than UK's guards don't shred us in the 2nd half.

How does that not make sense?? If he was as good of a defender as Battier or Winslow (which I know, is 0.00001% of players) than UK's guards don't shred us in the 2nd half.
So because we lost that game it takes all of his amazing defensive accomplishments away? The way he played the second half of that game who could've guarded Turner? To say he isn't as good of a defender as Winslow because of 1 half is just Ludacris. How many defensive player of the year awards does Winslow have?

He was named defensive player of the year for three years. What part isn't being realized?

Reactions: crazyduke3
So because we lost that game it takes all of his amazing defensive accomplishments away? The way he played the second half of that game who could've guarded Turner? To say he isn't as good of a defender as Winslow because of 1 half is just Ludacris. How many defensive player of the year awards does Winslow have?
Wojo was a heck of a defender, probably the most underrated ever at Duke.
Battier was an annual ALL NBA defender, and Winslow appears to be on track to be an annual ALL NBA defender as well. How many of those does Wojo have???

Again, underrated and tough as nails, but I'd have him on the "second tier." WIth Battier being on the first tier all alone. The case can be made for WInslow along with Battier, but you would have to use his NBA career to get a big enough sample.

He was also here for only 1 year, but Luol Deng was AND STILL IS a heck of a defender. I may be wrong, but I think he has at least been on an ALL NBA defensive team once or twice.

Last edited:
Battier was an annual ALL NBA defender, and Winslow appears to be on track to be an annual ALL NBA defender as well. How many of those does Wojo have???

Again, underrated and tough as nails, but I'd have him on the "second tier." WIth Battier being on the first tier all alone. The case can be made for WInslow along with Battier, but you would have to use his NBA career to get a big enough sample size.
gotcha, so you are using accomplishments that haven't been made yet to argue against accomplishments that have. I agree with you on Battier. But I just feel like you are giving Winslow WAY to much credit while at the same town downplaying just how good of a defender Wojo was.

gotcha, so you are using accomplishments that haven't been made yet to argue against accomplishments that have. I agree with you on Battier. But I just feel like you are giving Winslow WAY to much credit while at the same town downplaying just how good of a defender Wojo was.
Winslow was the best defender on a National Championship team, in 1 year.
How many times was Wojo the best defender on a National Championship team, in 4 years???? Fair or not, Winslow was longer and quicker than Wojo. Strength and defensive IQ are up for debate, but length and quickness are some of the main ingredients to be a good defender. Winslow could guard positions 1-4 in college, Wojo could not, obviously.

And you may believe that foreshadowing is unfair, but my eyes (and NBA writers) tell me that Winslow will be an ALL NBA defender for 10+ years, starting next year.

Please stop

1986–87 Tommy Amaker Duke Point guard Senior
1987–88 Billy King Duke Forward Senior
1992–93 Grant Hill Duke Shooting guard / Small forward Junior
1997–98 Steve Wojciechowski Duke Shooting guard Senior
1998–99 Shane Battier Duke Small forward Sophomore
1999–00Shane Battier (2) Duke Small forward Junior
2000–01 Shane Battier* (3) Duke Small forward Senior
2004–05 Shelden Williams Duke Power forward Junior
2005–06 Shelden Williams (2) Duke Power forward Senior

These are the guys that have been named The Defensive Player of the Year for college basketball from Duke. Not the best on the team, not the best shot-blocker, box-out-man, pickpocket, not the best in the conference, not the best at the tournament, just THE BEST (complete) DEFENDER in the country at that time.

Now when I'm looking at this list, I'm thinking -- "That's a pretty good list of Duke players". I am also thinking that they were not hiding under a rock when this honor was given to them.

There are only 2 freshman that have gotten the honor (and none of them have gone to Duke). So how is Wojo under-rated? He won the highest honor in 98.....AND he did not get drafted. How have we not realized that Shane a great defender? He is the only guy that has won it 3 times. That record is going to stick for a LONG time, because NOW someone that good is going to go pro.

If you want a really interesting topic on best defender at Duke -- Pick the best defender at Duke that has NOT won the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER award.

I think Winslow could be a good guy to think about. David McClure comes to mind as well. Lance was great. I think that is more interesting.

Reactions: harttochesson
This is all about the angle that you look at it from. I am speaking about Winslow due to an NBA defending standpoint (mainly because he only played in college 1 year so not a large enough sample) And comparing him to Wojo is quite laughable from MY perspective, because Wojo went undrafted.

But yes, Wojo won the award for the best defender in college basketball as a senior. He was a heck of a college defender, but due to size and athletic limitations, was not given the chance to showcase his abilities at the next level. If you look at it strictly as a DUKE CAREER, than it's Battier then Amaker then Wojo (And always will be, due to the elite not sticking around long anymore)

However, if Winslow played 4 seasons at Duke, the defensive player of the year award would have been mailed to him before his senior season even started. Different times, wish we could have seen him (and many many many others) for 4 years.

Again, underrated and tough as nails, but I'd have him on the "second tier." WIth Battier being on the first tier all alone. The case can be made for WInslow along with Battier, but you would have to use his NBA career to get a big enough sample.

He was also here for only 1 year, but Luol Deng was AND STILL IS a heck of a defender. I may be wrong, but I think he has at least been on an ALL NBA defensive team once or twice.

Would you argue Michael Jordan was the greatest college player of all-time? And, the greatest collegiate defender of all-time? (he was arguably both of those at the NBA level).

In fact, I'd put college Christian Laettner over college Jordan. As well as several others. Most pundits would. Most have Alcindor, Walton, 1-2 in the all time rankings of college players. But, Walton would not make top 15 or even 20 NBA. Does that mean he was not that? To say nothing of great NBA players who were only "good" in college.

The fact that Wojo could not make it in the NBA as a player does not negate what he did at the college level and how great a defender he was there.

The fallacy is mixing college level accomplishment with NBA level. It's a different league, it takes different features, and greatness at one level does mean greatness at the other (either direction).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT