ADVERTISEMENT

Cassius Stanley

Seems like were gonna get him. I really want this kid.

Take Zion out because he's an actual alien from another planet.....Cassius would be the best dunker at Duke since???? Gerald Henderson, however I think Cassius jumps higher.

Reactions: dbav and bfort2223
I want him but only if we keep Alex. I just don't want to keep getting younger. It's not solely about talent.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
I'd rather have AOC. Cuse game on road & S16 game against VT showed his mental toughness. Junior Alex is better in March than a freshman.

Reactions: christophero
He’s shown no indication of doing anything but sticking around and working hard. Seems like that’s what the staff expects to happen.

It isn’t always about talent. As we know, only one team wins it all.

Takes talent, and some some luck, but often comes down to a few small plays.

In those moments freshman can be big...but we continue to see experience and kids that fight for a school for years often make the difference.

Reactions: hart2chesson
AOC is not immune to boneheaded plays, like not shooting on an inbounds pass with the shot clock expiring and leaving Outlaw wide open for a game winning 3 at VT.

And he wasn’t a freshman, either

Reactions: truth321
Seems like were gonna get him. I really want this kid.

Take Zion out because he's an actual alien from another planet.....Cassius would be the best dunker at Duke since???? Gerald Henderson, however I think Cassius jumps higher.
Is that the general consensus?

Cassius over Alex all day long. Alex has been here two years and hasn’t progressed in any part of his game or gotten stronger. Cassius is already further along physically and he can do more than Alex. Alex is a good shooter but he’s gun shy. Plus he looks rattled every time he puts the ball on the floor. What’s we do know is Cassius can play defense and put the ball on the floor.

AOC is trying to play 20 minutes in 5. I really thought he looked better when he got a longer run in a game.

I really believe he would improve quickly if needed.

AOC is trying to play 20 minutes in 5. I really thought he looked better when he got a longer run in a game.

I really believe he would improve quickly if needed.
A streaky shooter who cannot created his own shot, turns the ball over, and is a liability on defense. If he is ever our full time starter we are screwed at SG.

Reactions: Duke937
A streaky shooter who cannot created his own shot, turns the ball over, and is a liability on defense. If he is ever our full time starter we are screwed at SG.

This is a bit extreme....probably even more so than the takes that if he got a chance to play 30 minutes every game he'd be All-ACC caliber.

AOC isn't as good as some paint, but he's nowhere near as bad, either. We have to remember he's 19 years old and just hasn't physically matured at the rate we'd like. He's shown us those flashes of being really productive....the question now becomes is he able to do it on a consistent basis? Right now, I'd say no....but I'm not ruling it out for the rest of his career.

This is a bit extreme....probably even more so than the takes that if he got a chance to play 30 minutes every game he'd be All-ACC caliber.

AOC isn't as good as some paint, but he's nowhere near as bad, either. We have to remember he's 19 years old and just hasn't physically matured at the rate we'd like. He's shown us those flashes of being really productive....the question now becomes is he able to do it on a consistent basis? Right now, I'd say no....but I'm not ruling it out for the rest of his career.
Only thing that I can admit that was extreme about my comments was the If he is ever our starter we are screwed. But counting just the 2 years he has been at duke the rest of my comments are facts. Im not talking about if he matures. Im talking about what we have seen so far.

Only thing that I can admit that was extreme about my comments was the If he is ever our starter we are screwed. But counting just the 2 years he has been at duke the rest of my comments are facts. Im not talking about if he matures. Im talking about what we have seen so far.
Alex isn't where he needs to be. No one will argue that. The debate is whether or not he gets enough court time, or if it's all on him. I believe it's a little of both.
We all know practice is important. But game time isn't like practice time. Anyone who's ever played anything competitively should know that.
It's also hard for our role players to show what they can do when K brings in 4 elites. They're getting the bulk of the minutes. Alex played 0 minutes against UCF, then played 35 against VT, even leading the team in rebounding, to then be rewarded with 3 in our finale.

Yes, he needs to be better. But he ain't the only one. This past team, for example, everyone not named Zion hurt us in some way or another.

Reactions: sheyduke
Alex isn't where he needs to be. No one will argue that. The debate is whether or not he gets enough court time, or if it's all on him. I believe it's a little of both.
We all know practice is important. But game time isn't like practice time. Anyone who's ever played anything competitively should know that.
It's also hard for our role players to show what they can do when K brings in 4 elites. They're getting the bulk of the minutes. Alex played 0 minutes against UCF, then played 35 against VT, to then be rewarded with 3 in our finale.

Yes, he needs to be better. But he ain't the only one. This past team, for example, everyone not named Zion hurt us in some way or another.
agreed

To a large extent, Alex can control his own destiny by playing smarter and more disciplined. His physicality is what it is. Scheyer wasnt in the same league as Henderson physically. Look at how effective Jon was on D and overall. Alex should be the last guy to get burned on a back door. He should be the last guy to be out of position or fail to rotate. If he can clean up the mental/discipline part of his game, he will get minutes and produce on both ends of the court.

Reactions: dbav
I understand the frustration with AOC but man I think back on the limitations Nolan and Cook and Zoubak and others had before they broke through...in large part because they were relied on.

Every year we see 3* prospects on other teams kill us and we wonder why Duke can’t recruit those kids...but those kids grow because their team needs a player to grow.

I’m not saying Alex can be great...he may never be that guy and many don’t even with a ton of opportunity.

I understand the frustration with AOC but man I think back on the limitations Nolan and Cook and Zoubak and others had before they broke through...in large part because they were relied on.

Every year we see 3* prospects on other teams kill us and we wonder why Duke can’t recruit those kids...but those kids grow because their team needs a player to grow.

I’m not saying Alex can be great...he may never be that guy and many don’t even with a ton of opportunity.

I wouldn't compare Nolan and Quinn's game or opportunities to AOC. Both those guys averaged double figures as soph. Their problems were maturity and possibility patience. AOC needs pt!

I wouldn't compare Nolan and Quinn's game or opportunities to AOC. Both those guys averaged double figures as soph. Their problems were maturity and possibility patience. AOC needs pt!

I don't think Alex has earned pt. It's going to be even harder next year for him to play with Tre, Boogie, Goldwire, Moore and possibly Stanley. I don't think he should play over any of them. His shooting isn't that good

Reactions: VaBlueDevil33
Alex is only halfway through his career at Duke. I remember being frustrated with plenty of former Duke players as underclassmen that became legends as upperclassmen. Hell, my username is based on one of them.

I don't think Alex has earned pt. It's going to be even harder next year for him to play with Tre, Boogie, Goldwire, Moore and possibly Stanley. I don't think he should play over any of them. His shooting isn't that good
Let’s see what happens in the offseason here Ace. You may be right, but you’re coming to a lot of conclusions before we know who can do what.
We don’t have to look very far to know hype and reality didn’t work out too well for one of our kids, yet here you go already casting Alex to the end of the bench.

Reactions: Liftee
Alex may be a better 3 pt shooter than all of them but I like the driving ability of the 3 freshman. Jordan and Alex seldom attacked the basket versus man to man defense.

Alex may be a better 3 pt shooter than all of them but I like the driving ability of the 3 freshman. Jordan and Alex seldom attacked the basket versus man to man defense.

I think staff definitely saw something in Stanley that made them get involved so late! Glad we are in the hunt to pick him up.Sounds somewhat reminiscent of Frank Jackson to me with his driving ability and athleticism. Competion should bring out everybody's BEST! OFC

I think staff definitely saw something in Stanley that made them get involved so late! Glad we are in the hunt to pick him up.Sounds somewhat reminiscent of Frank Jackson to me with his driving ability and athleticism. Competion should bring out everybody's BEST! OFC
exactly who I thought of . Frank wasn't very tough though and as a 20 year old this guy may be more mature physically.

Stanley seems like a real smart add. Felt like they could have added another guard last year, which would have helped a lot. I like this move.

Let’s see what happens in the offseason here Ace. You may be right, but you’re coming to a lot of conclusions before we know who can do what.
We don’t have to look very far to know hype and reality didn’t work out too well for one of our kids, yet here you go already casting Alex to the end of the bench.

If the staff believed in Alex they wouldn’t have put on the full court press for a west coast guard who was nearing a college choice. Think about that. Plus Stanley isn’t projected as a one and done. So that means they expect him here for as long as Alex is here. The writing is on the wall. It’s pretty clear. We’ve seen each incoming recruit’s skills. Each one of them are better all around than Alex. He just have shooting over them. I’m not sure he is a much better shooter than Boogie if at all

If the staff believed in Alex they wouldn’t have put on the full court press for a west coast guard who was nearing a college choice. Think about that. Plus Stanley isn’t projected as a one and done. So that means they expect him here for as long as Alex is here. The writing is on the wall. It’s pretty clear. We’ve seen each incoming recruit’s skills. Each one of them are better all around than Alex. He just have shooting over them. I’m not sure he is a much better shooter than Boogie if at all

Couldn’t the same be said abkut boogie

Reactions: christophero
No because Boogie can actually play the point too. Alex can’t play the point. Boogie is a true combo guard. Stanley and Alex are wings
Why would Alex need to play point? He’s a true Sg who has never really been leaned on for more then a supporting role coming off the bench.
Stanley is twenty. If His game was that much more refined then Alex’s he could opt for the league. I’ll hold my judgement until they hit the college floor and play against an opposing team. Alex hasn’t let anyone down but posters who think he should be at another level but maybe he’s adapted to being a role player and enjoying the college life like every 19 year old should.
Who’s to say K just doesn’t look at Alex as a situational type player. There’s a reason he was so successful with his shot against the orange. It was because they were watching the other known players on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT