ADVERTISEMENT

Can we please stop...

TheDude1

Cameron Crazy
Apr 15, 2010
... talking trash about Luke Maye? The kid was not some five star player, but came in and got 30 and 15 last night. He hit that huge shot against UK. He has won a national title. And he’s done it all without the physical gifts of a guy like Zion. So can we just stop talking about him like he is some chump?

... talking trash about Luke Maye? The kid was not some five star player, but came in and got 30 and 15 last night. He hit that huge shot against UK. He has won a national title. And he’s done it all without the physical gifts of a guy like Zion. So can we just stop talking about him like he is some chump?
He plays for UNC..... so emphatic NOOOO!

I acknowledge he's a tremendous worker, a great player, and not a scrub.

But uhh, definitely not.

i

I've always said I would take Luke Maye on Duke. He's a good solid player that gives it his all. That said, he's a Tar Heel, so I will make fun of him every opportunity I get. Last night he didn't give me an opportunity, but if Zion is back at Chapel Hill...I might get the chance...and I will take it if I do.

OFC

Apparently a Duke player told him that he wasn't a 5 star or a 4 star player.

It’s not that I can’t tip my hat at a UNC player’s performance, it’s just that it’d have to be spectacular and still a Duke win.

Duke didn’t win and I don’t think there’s anything spectacular about scoring 15 open layups. Just something spectacularly wrong with defense last night.

Luke Maye gets the most out of the skill set he has. He always seems to be in the right place. I still think if someone could pull that golden horse shoe out of his butt, he would fall back to earth.

Rivalry-speak is fun. It should never, ever end. While I like Maye’s game, that doesn’t mean I’m not going to ride him when given the opportunity.

But as I said above....he’s a really, really good player.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

Lmao idk who decided they had the authority to talk smack last night but whoever it was is probably a lottery draft selection and Luke Maye is on the bubble for the end of the 2nd round.

The kid was a stud.

And one more thing, this is more than just about Luke Maye (or any Tar Heel player). You will never, never, ever, ever see a thread on THR about giving props to a Duke player. When I make fun of a Heel player, it's more about their hateful fans than anything. I've had to put up with a lot over the years, and I don't feel particularly charitable toward the University of North Carolina basketball program.

And I never wish anything badly for a Heel player (injury, etc.). I don't hate them either, hope they all can make a good living playing professional ball...just not do well while playing at UNC.

OFC

And one more thing, this is more than just about Luke Maye (or any Tar Heel player). You will never, never, ever, ever see a thread on THR about giving props to a Duke player. When I make fun of a Heel player, it's more about their hateful fans than anything. I've had to put up with a lot over the years, and I don't feel particularly charitable toward the University of North Carolina basketball program.

And I never wish anything badly for a Heel player (injury, etc.). I don't hate them either, hope they all can make a good living playing professional ball...just not do well while playing at UNC.

OFC
I didnt hate UNC or their fans before I joined DI. I dont actually hate the players but some do get on my nerves. Now many of their fans on THR, I absolutely despise them and wouldn't pee down their throats if their guts were on fire.

Last edited:
It’s not that I can’t tip my hat at a UNC player’s performance, it’s just that it’d have to be spectacular and still a Duke win.

Duke didn’t win and I don’t think there’s anything spectacular about scoring 15 open layups. Just something spectacularly wrong with defense last night.
He did actually make a few contested shots last night, maybe 3 or 4 but most were easy putbacks. He does seem to have a knack to get the uncontested rebounds though.

He gets away with a lot, if he were at duke he’d average 10 TO a game and foul out in 4 minutes. He picked the right place, and I don’t like him at all.

Reactions: Shatterthesky22
I've been saying for a long time that the good is a lot better than given credit for and a hard four year worker, and I still think he wears eye liner. The whole UNC team has been better than credit has been given. Now I hope I've jinxed them and they lose 7 in a row.

He did actually make a few contested shots last night, maybe 3 or 4 but most were easy putbacks. He does seem to have a knack to get the uncontested rebounds though.

Yeahhhhh, I know. Luke is a hell of a player honestly - his last 2 seasons have been pretty solid for coming up as a nobody. I just had to pick on the situation.

I would take him at Duke any day of the week. Twice on Sunday. A solid four year player who works hard and generally gets it done. We could use a few more of those IMHO.

As an aside if Zion was guarding him last night his numbers are more like 10 and 6. Just sayin.

Reactions: DukeDenver
He gets away with a lot, if he were at duke he’d average 10 TO a game and foul out in 4 minutes. He picked the right place, and I don’t like him at all.

Pretty accurate assessment. He would last about 5 to 10 mins a game before fouling out if he played at Duke. Of course he would have rode the pine for 4 years anyway at Duke if we're being honest.

Luke is a very good but not great player. We’ve been on the other side of this coin many times at Duke with skilled, hard working players who just can’t compete when they come up against truly elite, world-class athletes. Not a chance Luke sniffs 30 last night if Zion is in the game. For those of you who say they would take him, sure, but would you take him over anyone in our starting 5? I sure wouldn’t.

I’ll give the kid he had a hell of a game but will I stop ripping on him??? Please. I might rip him a little more for that request.

I’m surprised he doesn’t shoot free throws underhanded...

Four of our starting five are OAD. I would take a four year Luke to fill gaps and contribute when freshman play like freshman and upper classmen leadership is needed.

I would love a blend of top notch OAD talent and solid 3-4 year role players. Luke is a solid four year player.

Love this Duke team. Don’t get me wrong. I would not change a thing. The hypothetical was posed and I answered honestly.

Luke is a very good but not great player. We’ve been on the other side of this coin many times at Duke with skilled, hard working players who just can’t compete when they come up against truly elite, world-class athletes. Not a chance Luke sniffs 30 last night if Zion is in the game. For those of you who say they would take him, sure, but would you take him over anyone in our starting 5? I sure wouldn’t.
Well I wouldn't take him over 4 of our 5 and thats a promise but he would be a heck of a sub for us or any other team.

I’m surprised he doesn’t wear hightop canvas converse and thick black rimmed glasses, with tape in the Middle.

I honestly beleive that was a form of sarcasm that was on the rival board and grew legs. I seriously doubt any 5 star Duke player said anything to Maye like that. As much hate that duke gets if they sneeze wrong, this would of been all over every sports network known to man.

Reactions: vcugreg
The man is a double for George Michael. I ain't taking nothin he's offering.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT