ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari finalizing deal with Arkansas

I know money talks, and is one indication of success, but will some really good coaches be reluctant to got to Kentucky knowing the pressure cooker they will be in ?

Calipari appeared to die on the hill of winning it all with basically a young team every year. But he's far from a bad coach. Those that think he's a bad coach might be in for a rude awakening.

The right fit at Kentucky may not be as bad as many think either. This is a different day and time of coaching. It's all about who they can get. And the right coach will be able to get kids quick.

If i were them i would think outside the box. I would go after Kevin Boyle at Montverde

Oats seems to be the guy they want. They would take Hurley, of course, but they don't like his personality. Or the fact that he's a Hurley. Although winning would help with that. But why would Hurley leave? U Conn better give him a big raise. I think Cal had to leave the fanbase has been toxic since this last loss. He would have been booed at home all year.

Last edited:
Oats seems to be the guy they want. They would take Hurley, of course, but they don't like his personality. Or the fact that he's a Hurley. Although winning would help with that. But why would Hurley leave? U Conn better give him a big raise. I think Cal had to leave the fanbase has been toxic since this last loss. He would have been booed at home all year.
Hurley would be a fool to leave Being close to home and NYC. Seems like a better fit. Haven’t spent much time in Kentucky and I know that show Justified may be a caricature of parts of Kentucky. But I don’t want them to get Hurley.
Hamilton was their first Black assistant. He might be looking for a change. Give him a call.

Yall remember those years between Petino and Calapari? Welcome back to the dark ages, that's if they don't consider right now the dark ages! 3 tournaments and how many wins with all that talent?

WOW!!! wasn’t expecting to wake up to this news on a Monday. 🏀🫨😳

A Coach leaving a legendary program but yet staying in the same conference and going to a rival. 🤷🏻‍♂️ only in the SEC. 😜, Calipari did some great things at Kentucky. He certainly was at the forefront of OAD (One and Done) which led Mike Krzyzewski to also jump in. Four Final Fours and a National Championship at UK from 2009/10 to 2014/15 was terrific. Though Duke won 2 National Titles in that span.

Kentucky and Duke were far and away the top two programs during Calipari’s first six years. 2015 was a culmination of OAD in terms of tournament dominance. Uber loaded Kentucky, 38-0 heading into that Final Four and Duke at 33-4 going in with superbly talented frosh but also some veterans sprinkled in. Duke wins the title as KY was beaten by a great Wisconsin team. Other than Michigan State that year, there were three heavyweight teams at the Final Four. That season seemed to be a dividing line regarding Cal’s tenure. It definitely wasn’t the same after that. I didn’t fully realize until the Oakland upset how much Cal has struggled in the post-season the last 5 years. Only one SEC and NCAA tournament win. Very odd given his recruiting classes.

Can’t blame BBN for not being happy with that. Some of our fans weren’t happy with an elite 8 and that’s more post-season wins than Cal had in 5 seasons! Sometimes the marriage goes sour, and when it goes sour it’s just time to move on. Simple as that. Will be interesting to see who they go after.

Kentucky is a beautiful state. But for a guy who grew up 15 miles from New York, who is building a dynasty near the media capital of the world, I don't see what Kentucky offers. Uconn will offer him a huge raise this off season to stay I'm sure.

Reactions: Jjallen
Kentucky is a beautiful state. But for a guy who grew up 15 miles from New York, who is building a dynasty near the media capital of the world, I don't see what Kentucky offers. Uconn will offer him a huge raise this off season to stay I'm sure.

The same thing was said about Rick when he arrived in Lexington

I'll just add the immortal words of Tom T. Hall:
"SON, IT'S FASTER HORSES,
YOUNGER WOMEN,
OLDER WHISKY,
MORE MONEY."

OFC

I don't think Hurley is leaving either, but I wouldn't consider him a "fool" for doing so. Big Least for SEC? UConn money for UK money? Dump Storrs for Lexington? Hell, I'd consider it.
OFC
Uconn isn't a mid major so it's not like he doesn't have top notch facilities, boosters, and tradition especially if they win tonight.

Kentucky isn't the Kentucky people think any longer and has been a sinking ship for the last 5 years.

Arguably, UConn is now a bigger basketball school than is Kentucky. I mean, for the past 20 years at least. Although Kentucky leads in high draft picks so there's that.

Don’t sleep on Hurley to UK. Pitino and Cal are Northern guys as well. Hurley though is Jersey babyyyy and not Connecticut. He’s making $5 mil. Kentucky can easily top that with a $10 mil offer and I bet they would go beyond $10 mil. If UConn counters I can see Hurley staying only because the Connecticut job is now a great job.

Kentucky is still Kentucky though and their lineage speaks for itself. The most wins, 8 National Titles, 17 Final Fours. Etc. Etc. It may be a tough gig because of the expectations but that’s a prime time job and will be highly coveted but not just any Coach can do that job. It takes someone successful and fully confident in their own ego and abilities. You have to almost be like a CEO type as you’ve got to be able to navigate and handle the fans and all that as well. Not that any Coach doesn’t, but BBN is massive and like no other. Pitino and Cal were perfect hires and each won a National Title. If they can’t lure Hurley, it will be very interesting to see who they go after.

Don’t sleep on Hurley to UK. Pitino and Cal are Northern guys as well. Hurley though is Jersey babyyyy and not Connecticut. He’s making $5 mil. Kentucky can easily top that with a $10 mil offer and I bet they would go beyond $10 mil. If UConn counters I can see Hurley staying only because the Connecticut job is now a great job.

Kentucky is still Kentucky though and their lineage speaks for itself. The most wins, 8 National Titles, 17 Final Fours. Etc. Etc. It may be a tough gig because of the expectations but that’s a prime time job and will be highly coveted but not just any Coach can do that job. It takes someone successful and fully confident in their own ego and abilities. You have to almost be like a CEO type as you’ve got to be able to navigate and handle the fans and all that as well. Not that any Coach doesn’t, but BBN is massive and like no other. Pitino and Cal were perfect hires and each won a National Title. If they can’t lure Hurley, it will be very interesting to see who they go after.

They've had 5 different coaches hang banners. If you want to win you take the job at Kentucky.

Arguably, UConn is now a bigger basketball school than is Kentucky. I mean, for the past 20 years at least. Although Kentucky leads in high draft picks so there's that.

If they win it tonight, they’re bigger than everybody. Certainly not if you open up a history book but in terms of current “stature” in this era, 6 Titles is unheard of and they top everyone. watching Connecticut play Saturday night. My thought was that no one can put a product like that on the court in men’s college basketball. They are a machine. And that 14 point win was the toughest game they’ve had in two NCAA Tournaments lol. 😝🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Jperry1987
Kentucky is still Kentucky though and their lineage speaks for itself. The most wins, 8 National Titles, 17 Final Fours. Etc. Etc. It may be a tough gig because of the expectations but that’s a prime time job and will be highly coveted but not just any Coach can do that job. It takes someone successful and fully confident in their own ego and abilities. You have to almost be like a CEO type as you’ve got to be able to navigate and handle the fans and all that as well.
Well said. The right guy can, and will, win there. You have to be good, and know you're good.
Cal just screwed up his last few seasons by not abandoning the one and done model.

If they win it tonight, they’re bigger than everybody. Certainly not if you open up a history book but in terms of current “stature” in this era, 6 Titles is unheard of and they top everyone. watching Connecticut play Saturday night. My thought was that no one can put a product like that on the court in men’s college basketball. They are a machine. And that 14 point win was the toughest game they’ve had in two NCAA Tournaments lol. 😝🤦🏻‍♂️
Sad but true. Hurley finds the guys to fit him, like Spencer. Talk about a glue guy. How he sold Castle to UConn was pretty impressive. "Come to UConn and be a part of something bigger than yourself."

They've been to five final fours, and don't lose when they get there. Duke, Kentucky, the holes, Kansas... they've all lost in the final four. It's time they suffer.

But since 96 UConn has 5 or 6 titles to Uk’s 3. Since integration UConn has won as many, prob one more after tonight. If Hurley and Oats both turn them down, no one else really jumps off the page. They could have another Gillespie type on their hands.

The interesting thing though talking about this possible Hurley to Kentucky scenario now that Hurley is being looked as the top Coach in the game.

Here are Danny’s first four UConn seasons:

2018/19: 16-17
2019/20: 19-12
2020/21: 15-8 (NCAA first round)
2021/22: 23-10 (NCAA first round)

Would Hurley have even survived at Kentucky after four seasons like that?

Reactions: KDSTONE
The interesting thing though talking about this possible Hurley to Kentucky scenario now that Hurley is being looked as the top Coach in the game.

Here are Danny’s first four UConn seasons:

2018/19: 16-17
2019/20: 19-12
2020/21: 15-8 (NCAA first round)
2021/22: 23-10 (NCAA first round)

Would Hurley have even survived at Kentucky after four seasons like that?
Good question, but I think Ollie had turned it into a dumpster fire once he ran through Calhoun’ s players

Bradshaw and Knox have already hit the portal for Kentucky. Actually Knox decommitted 5 star

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboSlice00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT