ADVERTISEMENT

Bradley

More and more I see Duke fans defend UNC's quality. Its getting old.

Agree. I think it's because Duke fans don't want to predict bad then have them be better. It's bad enough when they are supposed to be good and live up to expectations. But if they overachieve it's unbearable. That said, unless Pinson, Williams, or Woods makes THE leap to become a legit scorer they will struggle a bunch. Luke Maye had a few good games and he is a tough kid, but I'm interested to see him star. He's not very athletic so I'm not sure he'll do.well vs. the other teams best players.

Agree. I think it's because Duke fans don't want to predict bad then have them be better. It's bad enough when they are supposed to be good and live up to expectations. But if they overachieve it's unbearable. That said, unless Pinson, Williams, or Woods makes THE leap to become a legit scorer they will struggle a bunch. Luke Maye had a few good games and he is a tough kid, but I'm interested to see him star. He's not very athletic so I'm not sure he'll do.well vs. the other teams best players.
I agree for I think for me part of it is frustration. They have been good lately and combined with our injuries and early departures it hurts. But we have been good too, and I am very happy with our recruiting class and returnees after the mass exodus. Duke will rise again. But it does seem like they have overachieved the last 2 years, and that stinks and we took our medicine this year. Time for some payback. Go Duke! :)

UNC will make the NCAAT.

Berry is one of the best guards in the country. Pinson isn't great but he brings lots of intangibles to the game. Maye will average a double double or very close.

Williams is a good defensive guard who has a good outside shot.

Those three freshmen bigs will combine to do at least ok..

Felton will be the first guard off the bench and will be effective.

They'll win 20 and will make the field, but not a championship contender.
Are you doing that thing where people talk sarcastically about what a world-beater Luke Maye is?
What's "very close" to you?

Are you doing that thing where people talk sarcastically about what a world-beater Luke Maye is?
What's "very close" to you?
He may not be the most talented guy but anyone that knows any thing at all about basketball would love for Luke Maye to play on their team. The kid gives everything he's got, and no matter how anyone tries to spin it, he was a huge part in Holes getting a title.

Last edited:
He may not be the most talented guy but anyone that know any thing at all about basketball would love for Luke Maye to play on their team. The kid gives everything he's got, and no matter how anyone tries to spin it, he was a huge part in Holes getting a title.

No disputing that at all. Kid is a solid player w/good attitude! He wont SNEAK UP on anybody this year, and won't get as easily LOST against opposing defenses without the two bigs in post and Jackson circling perimeter.

Roy doesnt have his prototype team where he traditionally relies on ESTABLISHED Low post BIG(S) to feed and dominate offensive glass. I dont think Jay Bilas will be chirping "Carolina's best offense right now is a missed shot, because they get the rebound and score."

OFC

So what exactly do they have now ?
Bruh, BIG LUKE MAYE

i

He may not be the most talented guy but anyone that knows any thing at all about basketball would love for Luke Maye to play on their team. The kid gives everything he's got, and no matter how anyone tries to spin it, he was a huge part in Holes getting a title.
I was replying to someone who predicted he would average close to a double-double. That's a stretch.

No doubt he is a quality person who has worked hard to make himself a solid rotation player at UNC. He'd be an asset on any team's roster... but I don't think he's the type of talent most people would want playing 25+ minutes per game, and unless several of their freshmen post players are ready to contribute at a very high level immediately, he's likely to be logging heavy minutes.

Reactions: Mac9192
No actually you didn't. My post aren't for you to fix. It was right the first time.

I watched them go to two NC's in a row, I don't come here to be reminded of their strength. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm saying watching Duke fans give them pats on the back isn't becoming of Duke fans.
Oh, good grief, stand down, soldier.

There are plenty of threads and opportunities for sophomoric bashing of our rivals, as there should be. Complaining that people are honest, analytical, and put aside their emotions here and there is kind of bizarre.

It's crazy to think Luke Maye might be the 3rd scoring option for UNC. I would guess that he would get more looks than the trio of 3-star freshmen recruits. Joel Berry will almost certainly lead the team in scoring. Pinson isn't a shooter, he can still score a little, but with his shooting limitations his ceiling for ppg might be between 9-12 ppg. The #2 scoring option could be between Kenny Williams and Jalek Felton, I suppose whoever commands more minutes... Luke is a decent player, but he shouldn't be the #3 option for any nationally ranked team.

Here's a guess that's probably completely off-base for UNC's scoring projections:

Berry, 16.5
Williams, 12.1
Maye, 10.9
Felton, 10.3
Pinson, 9.2
Brooks, 7.4
Robinson, 5.0
Huffman, 4.1
Woods, 3.5

Platek/Manley, spot minutes

Last edited:
Oh, good grief, stand down, soldier.

There are plenty of threads and opportunities for sophomoric bashing of our rivals, as there should be. Complaining that people are honest, analytical, and put aside their emotions here and there is kind of bizarre.

I'm all for discourse Dat. Why do you think I'm wrong or sophomoric for holding the opinion based on returning talent across the nation that UNC will struggle?

I'm all for discourse Dat. Why do you think I'm wrong or sophomoric for holding the opinion based on returning talent across the nation that UNC will struggle?

You're not at "all wrong or sophomoric" gor that hypothesis DH. Thats why Roy is begging an in-conference coach to bend a rule for him so he can get a legit 3 to take Jackson's spot.....

It will probably happen as Bilas and Greenberg are pounding the ESPN drum for it to come to fruition. If Johnson is allowed to play next year it would be unheard of in the modern era of ACC MENS HOOPS, and raise UNC's stock....

OFC

Oh, no, I wasn't referring to your post at all, which I think is solid, legit analysis and part of a conversation where integrity rules over partisanship. If someone's looking for something that is predetermined to be negative about UNC, though, they're going to have better luck staying away from analytical threads, where there's likely to be measured takes, some of which may be complimentary.

Reactions: dukehokie
Talk about calling your shot. Had a feeling Bradley was going to stay in the draft and am loving the fact that UNC's 3 best players will now include Luke Maye vs Tony Bradley or Kevin Knox. By them not having Knox, Bradley or Cam Johnson next year, they are truly screwed.

I said it the day he declared since my buddy is on the in down there...but some unc turd told me I didn't know what I was talking about

Hey turd what you think now?

And Britt not talking about you unless you were that one

You're not at "all wrong or sophomoric" gor that hypothesis DH. Thats why Roy is begging an in-conference coach to bend a rule for him so he can get a legit 3 to take Jackson's spot.....

It will probably happen as Bilas and Greenberg are pounding the ESPN drum for it to come to fruition. If Johnson is allowed to play next year it would be unheard of in the modern era of ACC MENS HOOPS, and raise UNC's stock....

OFC

Do you at least think the rule is ridiculous, though? I mean, why shouldn't this kid be allowed to go wherever he wants? He graduated in three years (with honors, mind you), stayed through a coaching change and represented Pitt in the highest regard. Now, I get there's a 'rule' we're talking about here, but the rule is stupid and unwarranted....do you not agree? Sometimes it's instances like these that help get a stupid rule changed.

Reactions: pisgah101
Maye will average 8 and 8 give or take, or better.

He is better than this board gives him credit for.

He'll have to! And playing as many minutes as he's going to get he deff should. He'll prob even have some games where if his jump shot is falling he'll get around 16 points.

What in the world did you think I meant by a double double or very close??

You didn't think I meant 20/10 did ya? That's a solid double double...
lol No, I figured you didn't mean that. Something like 13/9, which would be too high a prediction, imo.

It was me, say it to my face bro.

HAHAHA

Well you were wrong...I'm sure you have heard that before

First off I'm NOT your "bro"...get that clear and second if you don't think I would say it to your face you are insane

Get your feelings hurt I take it...it's ok life will go on

Oh, no, I wasn't referring to your post at all, which I think is solid, legit analysis and part of a conversation where integrity rules over partisanship. If someone's looking for something that is predetermined to be negative about UNC, though, they're going to have better luck staying away from analytical threads, where there's likely to be measured takes, some of which may be complimentary.

Gotcha Dat. Just wanted to make sure because we've always had solid discussions.

I do get that with certain coaches and certain programs there's always a kid who steps up and becomes a star out of necessity. I just don't see anyone besides Berry becoming All-ACC caliber, which is something you need night in and out, not ever so often.

I'll be super interested to see if they can manufacture rebounding, gather more than one reliable shooter and find some interior defense. If they do, they'll be right where they usually are. If not, I think they will struggle.

I'm sure most rebuttals to my post will include Duke doesn't have a proven commodity outside of Grayson, but in this day and age of basketball, if you get top recruits, you're going to be successful. The chemistry and experience is typically what makes you a champion, but you'll win some games with the really talented young guys, which Duke has in spades. UNC, not so much (though Jalek Felton is a really good player and will score a lot of points for the Heels at some point in his career, maybe even starting next season). The things that UNC usually has though, solid experienced second guard, 3-4 talented bruisers in the paint, they lack. And when Roy is missing his types of players, he's proven he doesn't do incredibly well. Just my thoughts.

Do you at least think the rule is ridiculous, though? I mean, why shouldn't this kid be allowed to go wherever he wants? He graduated in three years (with honors, mind you), stayed through a coaching change and represented Pitt in the highest regard. Now, I get there's a 'rule' we're talking about here, but the rule is stupid and unwarranted....do you not agree? Sometimes it's instances like these that help get a stupid rule changed.

When an estimated FORTY PERCENT are leaving said grad school they transferred to AFTER their PLAYING DAYS ARE OVER??? No I don't call it "stupid." Plus it opens things up to tampering and I think its WRONG for a coach to poach a kid just to get in somebody else's playbook in the same league....

This is exactly why I am against it and more- for instance our own football coach David Cutcliffe makes a very good argument. Btw, even though "Coach Cut" restricted Thomas Sirk (our qb in '15) from going to an in-conference school there was no drama as Jay Bilas would like you to believe. Sirk wanted to go play for another school anyway-ECU....

Rule should stay in place IMO dukie...

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_8a2a290a-8fc7-5b7a-b3ca-7e45fe68230c.html

OFC

lol No, I figured you didn't mean that. Something like 13/9, which would be too high a prediction, imo.

13 and 9 is possible, he's better than some are giving credit for.

Someone mentioned "he'll have to", what a cop out. That's just a built in excuse for when he does average or nearly average a double double, "well he had to". pffft

Someone mentioned "he'll have to", what a cop out. That's just a built in excuse for when he does average or nearly average a double double, "well he had to". pffft
He's definitely better than some give him credit for but there is no way on gods green earth he's averaging a near double double at 13/9 a game. Meeks averaged 12.5 and 9 and no other player was even above 6. Not to mention he's not jumping from 3.7 boards a game to 9+. It is so hard in college to average double digit boards.

Well, if it was me saying "he had to" after the fact after challenging you on it here, yeah, that'd be a cop-out. I think it's legit that if Bradley came back and they landed Knox, that Maye wouldn't be putting up the kind of numbers he will in their absence, so if someone is going that route all along, I don't see that as a cop-out.

Predicting 8 and 5 is the time to say he's better than people give him credit for. 13 and 9 is better than he deserves credit for.

I do think the rule is ridiculous but you can't change it just because hof coach roy williams wants it changed to benefit his immediate need. Change it this off season effective for the year 2018-2019. What if Coach K wanted Johnson to transfer to Duke and able to play this coming season. hof coach roy williams and unc nation would be going ape crazy over it. Dj maybe this will cause the rule to be changed but not this year. Not for the benefit of unc just because it's unc. Haven't they gotten away with enough stuff already. OFC

Reactions: GAAP
He's definitely better than some give him credit for but there is no way on gods green earth he's averaging a near double double at 13/9 a game. Meeks averaged 12.5 and 9 and no other player was even above 6. Not to mention he's not jumping from 3.7 boards a game to 9+. It is so hard in college to average double digit boards.

Just don't see Luke Maye averaging around a double double. He's going to find out than when you go from being the 8th or 9th best player on a team to one of the top 3 players on a team like UNC or Duke, you're going to get the best defender at either SF or PF from the other team on you constantly. Not like the previous year where opposing teams would send in their sub(s) at that position when Maye entered the game.

I'll go with Maye averaging 6 points and 7 rebounds per game. Personally, I think Pinson is the guy that could have a breakout year. He's got that dogged attitude in him and can actually create shots on his own. IMO, the only way Carolina is in the top 3 or 4 in the ACC is if Pinson and Berry both average over 15 points per game.

Reactions: topps coach
I think Maye will be the first player in history to average a quadruple quadruple. :)

Luke Maye is not Amile Jefferson. On a good team, a national championship team he can provide needed minutes and even a box score stuffer. On a team less talented Luke Maye is going to struggle and will not sniff a double double average IMO.

When an estimated FORTY PERCENT are leaving said grad school they transferred to AFTER their PLAYING DAYS ARE OVER??? No I don't call it "stupid." Plus it opens things up to tampering and I think its WRONG for a coach to poach a kid just to get in somebody else's playbook in the same league....

This is exactly why I am against it and more- for instance our own football coach David Cutcliffe makes a very good argument. Btw, even though "Coach Cut" restricted Thomas Sirk (our qb in '15) from going to an in-conference school there was no drama as Jay Bilas would like you to believe. Sirk wanted to go play for another school anyway-ECU....

Rule should stay in place IMO dukie...

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_8a2a290a-8fc7-5b7a-b3ca-7e45fe68230c.html

OFC

It's a really stupid rule. Period. Colleges can hold these kids hostages, meanwhile schools have the ability to take away their scholarships at any time and coaches are able to jump ship and leave at any time. Yes, you can call kids free agents, if you wish....but what are coaches, administrators, etc.? This isn't a Duke or UNC issue for me....it's common sense.

I do think the rule is ridiculous but you can't change it just because hof coach roy williams wants it changed to benefit his immediate need. Change it this off season effective for the year 2018-2019. What if Coach K wanted Johnson to transfer to Duke and able to play this coming season. hof coach roy williams and unc nation would be going ape crazy over it. Dj maybe this will cause the rule to be changed but not this year. Not for the benefit of unc just because it's unc. Haven't they gotten away with enough stuff already. OFC

I don't think you can just flat-out change the rule now, either. There I agree with you. But like him or not, like Coach K, Roy is a guy who can move the needle. Maybe there's a good chance this ridiculous rule is finally changed....and sometimes, unfortunately, it takes a high-profile figure to make changes. Also, I don't think UNC fans would be going crazy if the situation were reversed....sure, they'd say K is being mean and intimidating again, but let's not forget we're talking about the third best player on one of the conferences worst teams last season. UNC fans are making Johnson out to be better than what he is....we'd probably do the same.

Reactions: skysdad
QUOTE="dukiejay, post: 11192426, member: 650"]It's a really stupid rule. Period. Colleges can hold these kids hostages, meanwhile schools have the ability to take away their scholarships at any time and coaches are able to jump ship and leave at any time. Yes, you can call kids free agents, if you wish....but what are coaches, administrators, etc.? This isn't a Duke or UNC issue for me....it's common sense.

I don't think you can just flat-out change the rule now, either. There I agree with you. But like him or not, like Coach K, Roy is a guy who can move the needle. Maybe there's a good chance this ridiculous rule is finally changed....and sometimes, unfortunately, it takes a high-profile figure to make changes. Also, I don't think UNC fans would be going crazy if the situation were reversed....sure, they'd say K is being mean and intimidating again, but let's not forget we're talking about the third best player on one of the conferences worst teams last season. UNC fans are making Johnson out to be better than what he is....we'd probably do the same.[/QUOTE]

Johnson torched UNC for 24 at Dean Dome! He can light it up and Arizona and UK have also expressed interest.Yeah "Roy can move the needle," I agree, but sorry I don't respect his potential ethics in doing such w/his track record in the scandal. Your argument about it being a "ridiculous rule" and common sense to change it falls far short when it comes to tampering IMO....Roy wants the kid to help him get over the hump in conference play next year, and who can blame a fellow LEAGUE COACH for standing up to Ol Roy in this case. Heck if it were Coach K bending Stallings ear I would be just as opposed.....

Remember an estimated 40% of grad transfers leave grad school after their 1 season is over. How fair is that to some others who are more serious grad school candidates who are similarly or better qualified to gain admission....I really buy into our own Duke Football Coach David Cutcliffe's argument against the rule as well. "We raised em, we educated em," etc....I think he has a lot of "common sense" in his argument. OFC

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT