ADVERTISEMENT

Bradley

That line-up scares no one but , unfortunately , they won it all so I doubt their fans much care. Honestly , I wouldn't. Win a title then take a year off to watch a team with a lotta ?'s develop. There ARE worse scenarios. Sucks but it is what it is. Heck , ya know what would be the kicker? unx gets wind of impending NCAA doom then , outta nowhere! , self sanctions. They would even add some self-serving commentary like , "We made some mistakes and in the same spirit of cooperation and transparency we've exhibited throughout this process we've decided it best to not wait for any outside agency to assess sanctions. The university of North Carolina holds itself to an even higher standard than required by NCAA guidelines yada yada yada..." smh Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Roy%20Williams%20Needs%20a%20Kleenex%20Now.jpg

OFC

Yes! I have to say, when I heard there was going to be an announcement, I was nervous, b/c it just doesn't seem necessary to make some big announcement tomorrow about a decision you've already made unless it changes something. He was already in the draft. Announcing that nothing had changed seemed unnecessary and illogical. I thought he would be back. Glad to be wrong.

Sr (2): Joel Berry, Theo Pinson
Jr (2): Luke Maye, Kenny Williams
So (2): Brandon Robinson, Seventh Woods
Fr (5): Jalek Felton, Garrison Brooks, Brandon Huffman, Sterling Manley, Andrew Platek

Not sure what their rotation will look like (I suppose Cam Johnson is still a possibility). Here's a guess:

Starters:
Joel Berry
Kenny Williams
Theo Pinson
Luke Maye
Garrison Brooks

Key Bench Players:
Jalek Felton
Brandon Huffman
Brandon Robinson

Their backcourt should be pretty good; you have known-entities in Berry and Pinson. Williams appears to be a solid player and Felton has a reputation as a big-time player. But their front-line looks very, very shaky. Not a single big man was a top 100 recruit - and 3 of the 4 are freshmen. It will be interesting to see how the season plays out for them.
I know he didn't do much as a freshman, but wasn't Seventh Woods pretty highly thought of coming out of high school? According to stats I found, he did play in every game this season, even if he didn't have very impressive stats.

If Pinson counts as a backcourt player, their backcourt does look pretty strong. Their frontcourt looks even shakier, though, as Pinson is the only returning player beyond Maye over 6"5".

Every time we think UNX will go downhill, they don't. I don't trust them to implode the way they should. One of their unrated post guys will suddenly emerge or something annoying like that. I'm trying really hard to ignore them and focus on our own team.

Reactions: Mac9192
Even though Bradley is gone, I would still expect the Holes to be solid. They seem to find someone that is better than expected. Jamison after Wallace, and then Hansbrough after Jamison. I think it does hurt them to not have Bradley, but they will unfortunately be ok. I won't shed a tear though if they suck.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Recruit updates. Sterling Manley, Brandon Huffman and Garrison Brooks all have just been upgrade to 6 star recruits and all 3 are expected to start next year for the heels . hof coach williams has done it again. OFC
No Sky, he's having them all downgraded to 1 stars, so if they do well it will be because Ol Roy took chicken sh*% and turned it into chicken salad

Even though Bradley is gone, I would still expect the Holes to be solid. They seem to find someone that is better than expected. Jamison after Wallace, and then Hansbrough after Jamison. I think it does hurt them to not have Bradley, but they will unfortunately be ok. I won't shed a tear though if they suck.

Not the best comparison, if you ask me. Jamison wasn't as highly-touted as Vince Carter, but he was still a top-20 recruit and a McDonald's AA. Hansbrough was a top-10 recruit by every recruiting service... Fast-forward to the 2017 class. None of the incoming 3 bigs are top 100 recruits. Huge difference between top 10/20 and a 3-star recruit. UNC will still be okay next year because of Berry and Pinson leading the way. But they're not a Final Four contender. The 2019 season could potentially be worse, as I have a hard time imagining UNC's 2018 class being able to adequately replace Berry and Pinson.

There were 7-8 seasons between Jamison and Hansbrough. Haywood and May were in that stretch.

Not the best comparison, if you ask me. Jamison wasn't as highly-touted as Vince Carter, but he was still a top-20 recruit and a McDonald's AA. Hansbrough was a top-10 recruit by every recruiting service... Fast-forward to the 2017 class. None of the incoming 3 bigs are top 100 recruits. Huge difference between top 10/20 and a 3-star recruit. UNC will still be okay next year because of Berry and Pinson leading the way. But they're not a Final Four contender. The 2019 season could potentially be worse, as I have a hard time imagining UNC's 2018 class being able to adequately replace Berry and Pinson.
It's merely a point to say that someone will probably step up and be very productive, that's all.

Every time we think UNX will go downhill, they don't. I don't trust them to implode the way they should. One of their unrated post guys will suddenly emerge or something annoying like that. I'm trying really hard to ignore them and focus on our own team.
I think that's the safest approach. They were predicted to finish 6th in the conference in '05-'06 following the departure of 4 underclassmen and 3 key seniors from their '05 title team. But Hansbrough hansbroughed. In '09-'10, people gave Roy the benefit of the doubt and they were a preseason top 10 team nationally iirc. They sucked.

I'd rather they suck, but the worst is predicting they will and then they don't, so I don't predict they'll suck anymore.

Heels fans will be calling for Roy's head before Valentine's Day. After we beat them in ACC semi's, baby blue faithful in Barclay's were tearing him up.

Imagine if Garrison Brooks didn't change his mind? Their front line would look even worse.

Joel Berry will be one of the top guards in the country. That will be huge because great guards in college can take you a ways.

Overall, they're going to have their struggles, but I think they're a team capable of some high points too. The loss of Bradley is a big blow.

Imagine if Garrison Brooks didn't change his mind? Their front line would look even worse.

Joel Berry will be one of the top guards in the country. That will be huge because great guards in college can take you a ways.

Overall, they're going to have their struggles, but I think they're a team capable of some high points too. The loss of Bradley is a big blow.

Berry is a great guard but UNC's offensive rebounding makes them go so losing Bradley is huge. Hicks was underrated and didn't get any mention last year so his graduation hurts as well.

Berry is very good but not overly fast and a lot of his success seemed to be due to teams having to focus on their inside game. Might be a different story when he doesn't have that protection. I always felt Paige was a better player.

Berry is very good but not overly fast and a lot of his success seemed to be due to teams having to focus on their inside game. Might be a different story when he doesn't have that protection. I always felt Paige was a better player.

We'll find out, I guess. I feel the loss of Justin Jackson will hurt Berry more. But good players are good players for a reason. I'd expect Berry to make the necessary adjustments.

If Hamidou Diallo stays in the draft and never plays for UK than today will be an excellent day.

With Bradley, I think UNC was a top 10 team - I believe he would have had a monster season. Without him, they're left with a lot of questions in the post. I see them as a fringe top-25 team. Probably similar to 2013 when they were in 8 seed, or in 2014 when they were a 6 seed.

With Bradley, I think UNC was a top 10 team - I believe he would have had a monster season. Without him, they're left with a lot of questions in the post. I see them as a fringe top-25 team. Probably similar to 2013 when they were in 8 seed, or in 2014 when they were a 6 seed.

I get respecting the enemy. I really do, but with Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Villanova, Gonzaga, Florida, Louisville, Notre Dame, Kansas, and Oregon all returning some key players or bringing in some impact players, I found hard to believe UNC was top 10 even with Bradley. Berry is a damn good player, but damn good players play in the NIT every year.

Call me a homer or hater, but I really don't think Carolina makes the NCAA tournament this year. The ACC is already under scrutiny for getting so many teams in and underperforming, so if UNC ends up 8-10 in the ACC, which I feel could be the case, they'll be sweating on selection Sunday. I'll probably be totally wrong which is fine, but they're going to have issues this season. I say this especially since Berry and Pinson haven't been the healthiest players throughout their time there.

I get respecting the enemy. I really do, but with Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Villanova, Gonzaga, Florida, Louisville, Notre Dame, Kansas, and Oregon all returning some key players or bringing in some impact players, I found hard to believe UNC was top 10 even with Bradley. Berry is a damn good player, but damn good players play in the NIT every year. Ask HB40.

Call me a homer or hater, but I really don't think Carolina makes the NCAA tournament this year. The ACC is already under scrutiny for getting so many teams in and underperforming, so if UNC ends up 8-10 in the ACC, which I feel could be the case, they'll be sweating on selection Sunday. I'll probably be totally wrong which is fine, but they're going to have issues this season. I say this especially since Berry and Pinson haven't been the healthiest players throughout their time there.
I hope you're right dukehokie. If you are I'll have Sky & Hart each give you a big kiss

UNC will make the NCAAT.

Berry is one of the best guards in the country. Pinson isn't great but he brings lots of intangibles to the game. Maye will average a double double or very close.

Williams is a good defensive guard who has a good outside shot.

Those three freshmen bigs will combine to do at least ok..

Felton will be the first guard off the bench and will be effective.

They'll win 20 and will make the field, but not a championship contender.

Berry will have to have a NPOY campaign for them to be top 15. And he'll need the pieces around him to step up. Williams and Theo have proved nothing at all and they have no bigs. I'm kinda leaning more toward hokie being right than a top 10 team... que timo saying they'll be great now cuz of me :D

Reactions: dukehokie
Berry will have to have a NPOY campaign for them to be top 15. And he'll need the pieces around him to step up. Williams and Theo have proved nothing at all and they have no bigs. I'm kinda leaning more toward hokie being right than a top 10 team... que timo saying they'll be great now cuz of me :D
You never learn!

Reactions: pisgah101
I agree with Dukehokie. I think UNX will finish around 9-9 in conference play. I sure don't see Big Luke being a double-double player. If he is, the ACC sux!

I see them 4th in ACC and if they're not facing a postseason ban, getting about a 5TH seed in the dance.....

OFC

UNC won't be as bad as some of you think.

Agreed. Like Duke , they often seem to have someone step up and contribute more than expected. Wouldn't be shocked if next season was similar. Their concern is 2019. Roy's benefited from having upper classmen...highly-rated upperclassmen that stayed multiple years. His recruiting has been less than what he's used to but when ya got players staying while their peers at UK , Duke etc go pro , it doesn't really matter. Anyway , if 2019 rolls around and unx returns Luke Maye et al things could get kinda ugly. Still plenty of time to rectify that though. We'll see.

Wouldn't that be reason not to come back. Will have a weak supporting class returning and a lackluster Freshman class coming in. Bradley needs supporting pieces around him to be successful. If he's getting a 1st round grade, think he leaves on a high after winning a title and goes pro.

Talk about calling your shot. Had a feeling Bradley was going to stay in the draft and am loving the fact that UNC's 3 best players will now include Luke Maye vs Tony Bradley or Kevin Knox. By them not having Knox, Bradley or Cam Johnson next year, they are truly screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT