ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest “What if’s” in Duke basketball (AK-After K)

Not a what if but what happened. What happened to Tony Parker the 6'9" or so big man that we thought was coming to Duke and some of us had z fit when he didn't come. It seems the coachi g staff caught some grief about it. It seems he went to UCLA or USC and just flopped as a college basketball player. Don't mean to get off topic but what if he had came to Duke and didn't produce. OFC

He went to UCLA. He was a big body but didn't do much. Injuries maybe. Just googled. He averaged 12 and 8 his senior year and played in the G League. So decent college career.

Reactions: skysdad
What if Cory Maggette
Not a what if but what happened. What happened to Tony Parker the 6'9" or so big man that we thought was coming to Duke and some of us had z fit when he didn't come. It seems the coachi g staff caught some grief about it. It seems he went to UCLA or USC and just flopped as a college basketball player. Don't mean to get off topic but what if he had came to Duke and didn't produce. OFC

Forgot about Tony Parker. Wow, a blast from the past.

Reactions: skysdad
What if Jay William's misses 2 weeks after turning his ankle at the end of the ACC Chsmpionshio game in 01? Can still see him writhing in pain under our basket. Thought he was out for the duration of NCAA Tourn.

I have 2 more

I seem to remember that there were rumors that supposedly Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers wanted to play together in college.

What if Kyrie had come back to Duke for his sophomore year and played with Austin.

Considering how much they look alike.

What if Tyus and Tre had been twins and came to Duke together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quavarius
I have 2 more

I seem to remember that there were rumors that supposedly Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers wanted to play together in college.

What if Kyrie had come back to Duke for his sophomore year and played with Austin.

Considering how much they look alike.

What if Tyus and Tre had been twins and came to Duke together.

Has Duke ever had any twins (before or after K)?

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
What if Dunleavy came back for his Sr. year like he initially planned on doing?
Funny you mention this. I loved his game. Yesterday I watched the Maryland Final Four game. Well I skipped the part where we were being destroyed. I don't think Dunleavy scored. He had a great finals game but he vanished. Just made me think about how much pressure the one and done kids have. Dunleavy was a sophomore and had the luxury of playing on a great team and not having to carry them. Duhon was a freshman and really good (he played great vs. Maryland) but he had that luxury as well.

Last edited:
I would have welcomed both or either one back (in real time). Remember, we had no pure PG’s and only 3 scholarship guards (Smith, Scheyer and Dawkins reclassified). Yes we won it all, but had we not, this would be a no brainer. Also, that team didn’t have any injuries at all either (I know Mason was injured to being the season and missed about 5-6 games to start the season). But, had Smith, Scheyer or Dawkins sustained any long term injuries that season and whew....the lack of guard depth would have really bitten us in the ass.

Hindsight drives this one for sure. It’s hard to imagine what could’ve been with those two back.

The same goes with What If Sulaimon wasn’t kicked off the team? Do we win it all with him on board still? The system wouldn’t have changed and for all intents and purposes, he was a great teammate, just disgruntled with the staff at the time. That happens every year with lots of players.

Hindsight drives this one for sure. It’s hard to imagine what could’ve been with those two back.

The same goes with What If Sulaimon wasn’t kicked off the team? Do we win it all with him on board still? The system wouldn’t have changed and for all intents and purposes, he was a great teammate, just disgruntled with the staff at the time. That happens every year with lots of players.

Yep. Regarding 2010, I was nervous because I didn’t see “National title” from the team we began the season with (after losing Henderson and Williams along with getting a reclass freshman). Also, those cheaters from Cheater Hill had just won their 5th title and we were still at 3. Even in the preseason, lots of prognosticators had UNC going to the Final Four for a third straight year. So yeah, hindsight certainly drives it but in real time, I was very uneasy to start the season, especially since those group of players had a horrible tournament record (lost to VCU in the first round in ‘07; nearly lost to Belmont in the first round in ‘08, but lost to West Virginia in the Round of 32 and blown out by Villanova in the 2009 Sweet 16). There was no optimism after losing Henderson and Williams.

What if MB3 hadn’t reclassified and would’ve been part of the 2018-19 class with Tre, Zion, RJ and Cam
I know a lot of people have jokingly gotten picked on for quoting their own posts but I have a good reason for quoting my own post. lol

Someone started a “what if” thread on the free national college basketball message board, so I posted this in that thread and a Michigan State fan quoted my post and said “Former walk on Kenny Goins still would have booted your ass outta the tournament”. So I reminded him that they only beat us by one point and that it was only their third win ever against Duke.

I know a lot of people have jokingly gotten picked on for quoting their own posts but I have a good reason for quoting my own post. lol

Someone started a “what if” thread on the free national college basketball message board, so I posted this in that thread and a Michigan State fan quoted my post and said “Former walk on Kenny Goins still would have booted your ass outta the tournament”. So I reminded him that they only beat us by one point and that it was only their third win ever against Duke.

First off- QUOTE YOUR OWN POST! F THE HATERS

Second of all- Someone has been sneaking on our board stealing our topics, huh?

it would have been funny if the shot went in and they waved it off because Singler got knocked down. People would go nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT