ADVERTISEMENT

After watching the game last night.. I have some questions & thoughts..

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
Watching the game last night was my first time really seeing this new Duke team play together.. a couple things surprised me..

(1) Wendell Moore running the point? There were a few minutes in the game where Wendell was the PG. I like that, because we need a 3rd PG, in case of injuries or foul trouble. Does he have much experience running the point in high school, or is this a role K is pushing him into when it's needed?

(2) Javin didn't seem to be as big a part of the team as I imagined he would be. He is one of 2 players we have that can realistically play the 5 against ACC caliber opponents. Bolden and Vrank are gone, he has no competition for the 2nd big-man role. I just didn't feel like he was as pumped and as explosive as what we need him to be. He needs to be bringing a lot of energy off the bench and blocking shots like a mad man, and I just didn't get that feeling from him last night. I hope this changes when the real games start.

(3) Joey Baker is a great shooter, but he looked nervous out there. This is something I noticed and I may be completely wrong, but he looked like a freshman getting his first minutes in a game. I know he is basically a freshman, as far as NCAA game experience goes, but he was with the team all last year and played against elite talent in practice every day. I didn't expect him to look so nervous against a D-2 team. Maybe I'm reading him wrong and this is just how he carries himself. But if it is nerves, it makes me worried that he could have some bad slumps throughout the year and not show up for big games. If he carried himself like AOC, he would probably be the player I'm most excited about this year. Regardless, it's nice to know we have at least one player that can catch fire from 3.

(4) It is soooo damn nice to have a So. PG (with NBA caliber talent) and a Jr. backup PG that loves playing defense. Tre and Goldy will be the sole reasons we win some games where we have bad offensive showings.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I like Jones and Goldwire starting in the backcourt, at least for the early part of the season. They are veterans now. Both have played in big games in big environments. Their experience will be big for this team, especially on Tuesday against Kansas

Reactions: dukehokie
Javin DeLaurier played 16:35. In that span he had five rebounds, two assists, one block, drew a charge and committed only one foul.

He did not take a shot in a game in which his team scored 126 points.
So, I think he brought plenty of energy and gave his team what it needed.

And Duke has planned on using Moore some at point since last spring. That option should remain part of the game plan.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Agreed on Baker! I hope he builds off of this and becomes a great spark off the bench, alla Andre Dawkins.

I would love to see Tre be more aggressive on offence like he was in the Michigan State E8 game, but I think we need some reasonable 3 point shooting to open up the middle a little bit for him.

I was assuming Jordan would be a non-threat on the offensive end, and I know this was a D2 team, but he took it to the basket a couple times and pick up some put backs. If he can add 5-7 points a game and be a beast on D I'm good with him getting minutes.

Fort Valley State was considered to be a bad team in a mid-major D2 conference. They had one player taller than 6'5 I believe. I'm super happy we dominated the game from start to finish, but I'm not sure anything can really be taken from the game. They would probably lose to some of the elite national high-school teams.

This team needs Baker to contribute to reach its ceiling. We need shooting, and Joey Buckets is here to deliver that. This brought me all the way back to the Canadian tour last year, Joey was lights out during that trip.
As far as Tre's offense goes, I don't think he's just overnight gonna be a 20 ppg guy. I'm sure he's gonna have game where he hits a few 3's and scores 20, and also has games where his shot is way off and he scores 4. We need his leadership more than anything. Maybe he can come close to breaking the assist/turnover ratio number? That would do.

Goldwire looks like a man, he's gotten soooo much stronger. He is tough, I just wish he had any sort of offensive touch.
I'm very worried that Alex, Jack, and Javin haven't made any strides.

I think you will see more offensive aggression from Tre as the season goes forward. He's adapting to a new role, as well.

Joey will get his opportunities. We need shooting. Last year we saw AOC get opportunities in spurts. Had AOC been a more consistent offensive threat then I think we would have seen him garner more minutes too....despite his obvious shortcomings on defense.

One of my biggest worries with this team is going to be consistent scoring. I think we're going to stretches in games where we just simply struggle putting the ball in the basket. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

Thrilled about Baker. Hope he keeps it up. Goldwire can get 6 points a game just on steals and put backs. He is gonna surprise some teams out there this year.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
I think you will see more offensive aggression from Tre as the season goes forward. He's adapting to a new role, as well.

Joey will get his opportunities. We need shooting. Last year we saw AOC get opportunities in spurts. Had AOC been a more consistent offensive threat then I think we would have seen him garner more minutes too....despite his obvious shortcomings on defense.

One of my biggest worries with this team is going to be consistent scoring. I think we're going to stretches in games where we just simply struggle putting the ball in the basket. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.
Gonna have to adopt the Bennett game.

Patience is going to be the key with this team. After reading some of these posts from these 2 exhibitions, you’d think we are either terrible or could beat the Lakers.
We find out a little Tuesday night. It’s not an indication of our season though. I don’t know how good we are, or will be. But I think this could be a Duke team that’s better in March than November. That’s something we haven’t had in a few years.

Coach K says this team is more like teams from the past. Not going to depend on a couple big time players but everyone better be ready

The beauty of that is, I think this group will also force the opposing squad into that same predicament. The old cliche, "if we can't score, they don't score" applies with this team.

Wendell at the point is exactly what K wanted to do with Justise to relieve pressure off of Tyus. The problem was, Tyus didn't need a pressure relief valve. One of my favorite plays of that exhibition was Wendell directing Hurt to three point line on the break, delivering a perfect pass for the shooter and Matt knocking it down. That direction was 2-3 year point guard stuff.

Don't think we will have as much trouble scoring as people think. We won't be a juggernaut but we will be able to score so points. Just think Press Virginia but with a big man that can score on the block. In halfcourt we will play inside out. Carey on the block looks really good. Haven't seen him miss a jump hook with either hand yet. Texas Tech made the finals and was terrible on offense last year

Reactions: tripleb71
Patience is going to be the key with this team. After reading some of these posts from these 2 exhibitions, you’d think we are either terrible or could beat the Lakers.
We find out a little Tuesday night. It’s not an indication of our season though. I don’t know how good we are, or will be. But I think this could be a Duke team that’s better in March than November. That’s something we haven’t had in a few years.

That’s the feeling I get.. this will or should be a year where we grow through the season

Reactions: christophero
I like the way Goldwire has started the season. He brings so much intensity to this team, and I think brings out the best in Tre.

I like the lineup of Tre, Goldwire, White, Hurt, and Carey. That's good veteran/experience/defensive mixed with what I would say our the 2 most important freshman on the roster...

Also, that brings in alot of experience, and spark off the bench. Which should make for good rotations with and sub... the starting lineup isn't inexperienced, and the bench isn't just "relief players", hopefully the mix and match style helps.

My only concern for the team is there are only 2 "bigs". From past experience we know Javin can do his fair share of fouling, and almost every big will pick up touchy style fouls throughout the game. I just wish there was a Vrank similar player at the end of the rotation to through in to burn up some minutes.

I like Goldwire this year too. He has been getting points just not on outside shots. If he keeps that up I like him starting with Tre. We can bring in AOC and Baker for 3 point shooting.

Sooooooo ummmmm it’s starting to look like we may have Tre for four years. If his NBA stock his predicated on his shooting and scoring then we may have our first 4 year starting point guard in a long time. Shooting is just not in him. He’s Patrick Beverly but a better passer.

We here on this board are super critical after a 50 point win. Can't wait to see how we react after the Kansas game.

Reactions: christophero
Even if Tre falls to the second round I think he goes to the NBA. We have another highly rated guard coming in.

Don't think we will have as much trouble scoring as people think. We won't be a juggernaut but we will be able to score so points. Just think Press Virginia but with a big man that can score on the block. In halfcourt we will play inside out. Carey on the block looks really good. Haven't seen him miss a jump hook with either hand yet. Texas Tech made the finals and was terrible on offense last year

Hope you’re right....trust me. The last few years we’ve had some guys to lean on when times got tough. Basically, we had players with scoring in their DNA. The only player who resembles that, IMO, is Hurt. He’s a freshman who I see going through a bit of a learning curve

Hope you’re right....trust me. The last few years we’ve had some guys to lean on when times got tough. Basically, we had players with scoring in their DNA. The only player who resembles that, IMO, is Hurt. He’s a freshman who I see going through a bit of a learning curve

that’s why I say we will be a more talented press Virginia. Speed teams up and force them into mistakes. Offensively we will have more success than a West Virginia though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT