ADVERTISEMENT

Additional Commitment to Duke 2023 Class

We also have someone who has never coached before replacing the greatest coach of the modern era. Duke got a ton of attention this year as it was coach K's final year, and we are coming off a final four. Can that be sustained is the question. I think we have a decent shot at maintaining the last 10 year's success, but we have arguably had the greatest 8 year recruiting run of anyone ever. The talent is there, but there is also a record number of new faces. Jon has his work cut out for him. That said, final four is not out of the question if the pieces fit by the end of the year. An experienced point guard is big. And if Proctor is an impact freshman that raises our ceiling. We usually end up in the 2-3 seed range most years.

Last edited:
I don't normally like to respond to a troll, but how can we know that Lively, Mitchell and Whitehead will not be better defenders than some mediocre senior who has not shown enough in 3 years to make it worthwhile to go pro?
Agreed

To be fair there are a lot of good college players not good enough to go pro. Young can play. With Nance gone he would have started for Northwestern this year. He will be like Theo was last year. You need role players.
True, you need role players. If there's a spot of optimism with the transfer (circus) system in play now, it's that most of the major teams out there will be implementing their new kids in, hoping to catching lightning in a bottle, just as Duke has been doing the same with freshmen.

I don't normally like to respond to a troll, but how can we know that Lively, Mitchell and Whitehead will not be better defenders than some mediocre senior who has not shown enough in 3 years to make it worthwhile to go pro?

I get your point loud and clear, but that 4 year player has experience. PB was a stud, but I don't think PB was always getting the best of Theo in the gym. If Lively, Flip, Mitchell and Whitehead can do more things than Young, there isn't a conversation. But if Young can put play them from a one dimensional aspect, back to the basket, there will be some competition.

Lively needs to be great on defense this year. He's the #1 recruit in his class and has not shown much offensively in the clips that I've seen

I think people are missing my point, which was simply that we can't assume freshmen will be bad defenders, any more can we expect a guy who has been around for 4 years to suddenly be Battier. I won't mention any names.

I think people are missing my point, which was simply that we can't assume freshmen will be bad defenders, any more can we expect a guy who has been around for 4 years to suddenly be Battier. I won't mention any names.
That's a fair analysis. I just expect a 4 year player to know more, not be as talented, just know more.

Last edited:
You can't be a great defender until you get experience against great offensive players. It's possible to be a great defender as a freshman, but rare. Defense also requires strength so freshmen are at a disadvantage

one commit shows that? Nice troll attempt nobody cares
No but UK has 2-3 more 5*s lined up to go along with the 3 top 20 players currently committed in Dillingham, Edwards, and Sheppard. What will be interesting to see play out is Wagner. His HS teammate was supposed to commit in the next week but he’s pushed that way back which makes me wonder if Wagner is still a lock.

This kid is supposedly commiting next:

Another offer. Andrej Stojakovic, a 4* small forward from California. I am a little surprised as I thought all the targets for the 23 class were set.

Reactions: christophero
Seems like a long shot but you never know. Several Pac 12 schools have been after him for a while.

Seems like a long shot but you never know. Several Pac 12 schools have been after him for a while.
Yep but surely, he expressed interest, or I doubt the offer would have been made. The timing is interesting as Power visits today. Not sure what if anything to read into it. I don't think that Duke can sign both of them unless something else is going on, IDK.

They’re about to have 3 of the top 6 nationally. Only twice has Cal done that. And they played for the National championship both times they did. Won one, lost one
Eh, I for one grew out of that old counting your chickens before the eggs hatch a long time ago.

Kentucky fans amaze me everyday and I love going to RR to watch that train wreck. They said over there all spring/summer how weak the '23 class was and how our class was overrated. Now they get a few commits and it's a super class for them.

197-155 the last two meetings and have owned them on almost every recruiting battle the last 7-8 years.

Another offer. Andrej Stojakovic, a 4* small forward from California. I am a little surprised as I thought all the targets for the 23 class were set.
They never are . It’s like chess make one move to counter another .

Reactions: 9dukejames
Kentucky fans amaze me everyday and I love going to RR to watch that train wreck. They said over there all spring/summer how weak the '23 class was and how our class was overrated. Now they get a few commits and it's a super class for them.

197-155 the last two meetings and have owned them on almost every recruiting battle the last 7-8 years.

We don't just live in their heads, we've built subdivisions, schools, businesses, waste management facilities, etc.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Power was on campus today so maybe it's in relation to that? I know JP is more of a center, but seems weird from a timing perspective.
Not sure. A person on another site is hinting that it has to do with the staff becoming surer of who is planning on staying or trying for the pros from this year's team. Maybe they think Flip is planning on more than one year and Mitchell has his mind set on the pros?

If we can get one of Flip or Mitchell back plus Young and Reeves that is pretty good. One more guy for depth. Who knows but something appears to have changed.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT