ADVERTISEMENT

Additional Commitment to Duke 2023 Class

The majority thought the same about Goldwire, being a player to just ride the bench. Played very limited the first year, but the thing is if you PLAY GOOD DEFENSE, you will play meaningful minutes. I believe it will be situational minutes but I think Blake's will carve out 8-12 minutes a game... I'm hoping Jon plays more people. I believe everyone needs minutes. Not the "throw them in and they aren't comfortable playing" approach.

Blake’s length wingspan wise is something to watch . He can and I will say can be a good defender. Jon raved about him last year and his importance to the team in the years to come . I would like to see an offense for defense rotation at the guard spots .

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Goldwire played more than Blakes his freshman year. Clearly this is a big year for Blakes. I was a bit mixed when we got Proctor. He's good from what I hear, but I wanted to see Blakes develop. (I also wanted a transfer guard) Even if Proctor does not start, he should get at least 20 minutes. If Schutt plays too not sure Blakes gets time, but I hope he does. My guess is 2 to 4 minutes a game. I'd like to see us go after more transfers with 2 years left, like Young. This could be a small tweak which could allow us some continuity, esp if most of our freshman are OAD.

Last edited:
Goldwire played more than Blakes his freshman year. Clearly this is a big year for Blakes. I was a bit mixed when we got Proctor. He's good from what I hear, but I wanted to see Blakes develop. (I also wanted a transfer guard) Even if Proctor does not start, he should get at least 20 minutes. If Schutt plays too not sure Blakes gets time, but I hope he does. My guess is 2 to 4 minutes a game. I'd like to see us go after more transfers with 2 years left, like Young. This could be a small tweak which could allow us some continuity, esp if most of our freshman are OAD.
I don’t like the portal as much as some . Just because you played college ball you still have to blend with your new teammates and learn a new system . I’d rather develop players. Issue with players not wanting to wait their turn no more is because Playing for Duke you are able to be seen. This allows the players not getting time at Duke to be shown interest from other teams leaving them open to wanting to transfer . I’d just like to see them turn college basketball into a minor league NBA affiliate . That’s what it has become any way . Every year Dukes roster will continue to roll completely over .

Hubbard has grit . I’m not downing any move Scheyer and staff make . The one mold I hope Scheyer brakes is players from being scared of competing for minutes against the OAD

I assumed that Young was a grad transfer until christophero pointed out that he has two years of eligibility remaining . A really good addition

Reactions: christophero
The best guys should always play. If Young is ahead of Flip then he should start. Not saying he is, but we are not an NBA farm team.
He ain’t starting . If he does then Lively isn’t a top ten pic and flip isn’t a first round . Sometimes you have to pick your poison so to speak . Hate to say it but if Duke recruits OAD to come off the bench then they might as well become the Sharpe route( not a dig at UK) .

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Based on what I've seen Flip shouldn't be a one and done. He probably will be, but he shouldn't be. He just seems like a top 20 guy to me. He doesn't have elite athleticism. Maybe a two and done guy. There's nothing wrong with that. I just think people are expecting way too much. He has trouble getting his shot off down low against good comp. It doesn't really matter what I think though. I think Flip will have a Mark Williams type trajectory. Which is pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Based on what I've seen Flip shouldn't be a one and done. He probably will be, but he shouldn't be. He just seems like a top 20 guy to me. He doesn't have elite athleticism. Maybe a two and done guy. There's nothing wrong with that. I just think people are expecting way too much. He has trouble getting his shot off down low against good comp. It doesn't really matter what I think though. I think Flip will have a Mark Williams type trajectory. Which is pretty darn good.
No flip can handle the ball and pass and all that . He’s not a center he’s not a forward either( sorry couldn’t help it). But I think your right Chris but I expect him to be OAD.

If Young out plays Flip and Lively the first 6 to 7 games, then look for him to steal minutes. Keep in mind this is a young man who has already played NCAA ball. Now by game 10 we can't keep him on the bench, cool. However, know somebody's parent is going to start talking about development and making a fuss.

I like giving Young 20 minutes if he can handle it. He will probably be closer to 15 I know. That will keep the other 2 out of foul trouble. Mitchell is athletic but pretty lean at the 4. Kind of a Jefferson build when Amile was a freshman. Still I think Mitchell will show flashes. His athleticism will be on display so getting year two out of Mitchell is unlikely. Young is a little slow so hopefully fouls won't be an issue. But we don't need him for more than 20 minutes anyway. In a pinch Young and Mitchell are a pretty good frontcourt. They are also different types than Lively and Flip so teams will need to adjust.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
I like giving Young 20 minutes if he can handle it. He will probably be closer to 15 I know. That will keep the other 2 out of foul trouble. Mitchell is athletic but pretty lean at the 4. Kind of a Jefferson build when Amile was a freshman. Still I think Mitchell will show flashes. His athleticism will be on display so getting year two out of Mitchell is unlikely. Young is a little slow so hopefully fouls won't be an issue. But we don't need him for more than 20 minutes anyway. In a pinch Young and Mitchell are a pretty good frontcourt. They are also different types than Lively and Flip so teams will need to adjust.
I can see that rotation . Mitchell and young could be a defensive combo off the bench . I like Mitchell’s agility to guard multiple positions which would allow for Young to guard around the basket .

If we get Mitchell and Young back (unlikely) that is a pretty good frontcourt next year.

Ok just watched the video again. Here are 10 quick thoughts. Early and super small sample size I know.
1. Flip needs to hit the weights. He's skilled but is going to get pushed around. I expect we see big improvement as the year goes on. Doesn't seem like a one and done, but it's Duke. Lots of potential there.
2. Lively is long. Lots of potential there. Very bouncy. A little passive in this scrimmage. Had a few nice blocks.
3. Young looked good. Very solid at finishing, scores on Lively down low. Smart, strong player. Perfect 15 minute guy.
4. Catchings looks like he belongs. He hit 2 threes and tied up Flip when guarding him. Can contribute if needed. Strong kid.
5. Blakes looks a year away. Roach drove past him at will, and he is solid but doesn't seem to do anything at a high level. Still could play if needed.
6. Mitchell is very athletic, if a little raw. Interesting to see how he develops. Malik Sealy type build.
7. Whitehead looks solid. Reminds me of Moore a bit.
8. Roach looks great. Playing with a lot of confidence.
9. Schutt looked impressive. 2 threes and a nice finish over Lively.
10. Reeves is a year or two away, but he blocked Lively's shot. Could develop into a good one.
I think we could be good. Lots of height and depth, esp. when Grandison and Proctor join in.
Link to the video?

Sorry I don't have the link. If you go to Elizabeth King Duke forum there is a scrimmage thread that has the video.

Chris, what are your thoughts on Catchings possibly seeing the floor on defense at the two and three spot? Not a lot of minutes but let’s say three minutes for the sake of conversation.

I like Catchings. I would definitely be in favor of him getting 3 to 5 minutes. If he can hit an occasional 3 he could see the floor, but the wing is crowded. He could be a hustle guy. I haven't seen him practice yet, I only saw an open gym video in St. Louis.

Reactions: sheyduke
I like Catchings. I would definitely be in favor of him getting 3 to 5 minutes. If he can hit an occasional 3 he could see the floor, but the wing is crowded. He could be a hustle guy. I haven't seen him practice yet, I only saw an open gym video in St. Louis.

Catchings is another one who will compete for minutes. There are 4 players with legit experience; Jacob, Ryan, Catchings and Roach. Competition will be fierce, along with a bit of ego. A 22, 23, 24 year old player vs a high profile Freshman...scary and interesting.

I’d like to see him just get in the game and body up the opposition. He played pf but has the size of a sg /sf.

I really hope we don't see Catchings playing anymore than 3 or 4 minutes a game. Rather Mitchell grab as many minutes as possible. Have some solid depth this year.

Reactions: timritterus
Yeah I'm really excited about Mitchell. I think he is going to be a fan favorite this year.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I really hope we don't see Catchings playing anymore than 3 or 4 minutes a game. Rather Mitchell grab as many minutes as possible. Have some solid depth this year.
That’s why I said three to four minutes. As an upper class men his defense will be needed. Especially on a second unit coming off the bench . I already think Mitchell sees a lot of minutes at pf .

At first glance we don't appear to be as loaded as last year. Maybe as skilled but not quite as physical.
But it's early, and Proctor and Grandison are out. Banchero was on another level. The potential is there for sure, but a lot of new faces.

Last edited:
I don't think we have the talent or physicality of last years team, but there are a lot of unknowns. I definitely think this is the type of team that will take some lumps early but hopefully improve a lot by the end of the year.

Last edited:
To me, this teams ceiling is elite 8. Just not experienced or physical enough to go all the way. Prob a sweet 16 team and that’s it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT