ADVERTISEMENT

Additional Commitment to Duke 2023 Class

bmbritt

Cameron Crazy
Feb 5, 2003
Seems like Scheyer is definitely going to add at least one more PF/C to the 2023 class. Who do you think it’s most likely to be?

- Xavier Booker

- JP Estrella

- TJ Power

I think it will be Booker or Power, but leaning towards Power.

I'd work on getting Ryan Young to stay another year. He has an extra Covid year left. Estrella or Power seem like multi year guys, so I'd want one of those two. Plus we have Reeves. Just read that Borden is on the Portugal under 20 team, wonder how he is progressing. Borden is listed at 240 now; has he gained weight? Reeves is listed at 210. Ryan Young is 6-10 240.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession3
I'm thinking JP. Everything I've read is he will be moving up the ranks here soon as he's had a really good summer thus far. Lively and Flip will more than likely be gone after this year, and there will be minutes to be had at the 5.

I think Estrella will commit sometime after his official visit. Booker seems to really like Michigan State. It would be great to also get Power but Duke got in late with him plus he may see an easier path to starting soon at maybe Virginia, IDK, really early to try to guess.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I'm thinking JP. Everything I've read is he will be moving up the ranks here soon as he's had a really good summer thus far. Lively and Flip will more than likely be gone after this year, and there will be minutes to be had at the 5.
Seems like TJ Power is the guy who is likely to get the biggest rankings bump. He averaged around 40 points, 15 rebounds and 5 assists at the most recent Nike EYBL session against some of the best players in the ‘22, ‘23, and ‘24 recruiting classes. His performances this Summer have earned him offers from Duke, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA, and a multitude of other top programs. Also think Power and Flip are pretty tight.

Think Estrella may be leaning towards playing at Tennessee but could be wrong about that.

Seems like TJ Power is the guy who is likely to get the biggest rankings bump. He averaged around 40 points, 15 rebounds and 5 assists at the most recent Nike EYBL session against some of the best players in the ‘22, ‘23, and ‘24 recruiting classes. His performances this Summer have earned him offers from Duke, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA, and a multitude of other top programs. Also think Power and Flip are pretty tight.

Think Estrella may be leaning towards playing at Tennessee but could be wrong about that.
Very well could be, but I do know from various articles that JP is moving up so wouldn't shock me if he's in the 30-35 range. As of right now, for what it's worth, crystal ball is all Duke for him.

What is Estrella and Power's games like? Are they bangers or Hurt type guys? I assume the latter.

Last edited:
I'd work on getting Ryan Young to stay another year. He has an extra Covid year left. Estrella or Power seem like multi year guys, so I'd want one of those two. Plus we have Reeves. Just read that Borden is on the Portugal under 20 team, wonder how he is progressing. Borden is listed at 240 now; has he gained weight? Reeves is listed at 210. Ryan Young is 6-10 240.

I've never downplayed the addition of Borden. He redshirted a year, plays on a tier team, wants to be at Duke and now is getting experience in Europe. This kid will be ready when Reeves is ready. Can be a solid backup or provide the team good minutes like Marshall by his senior year.

Reactions: christophero
Borden looks bigger in a pic I saw. He is not Elton Brand, but he looks to have added weight.

I love Power's game. He sees everything and has great hands. He looks like he loves competing. No silly faces or gestures. Doesn't throw up 3 fingers when he makes a long shot. And he's improving

Reactions: 9dukejames
Power and Estrella both seem to be very good but not one and done good players. Duke needs guys like that every class IMO. Estrella will be visiting at the end of the month, and I think he pulls the trigger for Duke not long after. If Power visits, Duke might have a good chance to get him also. It would be a great finish for the 23 class.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Based on how Young looked in the scrimmage we should recruit him hard to come back. He could start next year.

Fair enough, but Bates never hung 18 and 10 on Michigan State. I did say Tape should start over Williams, I was pretty wrong on that one. But Young and Grandison are pretty solid transfers, more on Theo level.

Last edited:
Ok just watched the video again. Here are 10 quick thoughts. Early and super small sample size I know.
1. Flip needs to hit the weights. He's skilled but is going to get pushed around. I expect we see big improvement as the year goes on. Doesn't seem like a one and done, but it's Duke. Lots of potential there.
2. Lively is long. Lots of potential there. Very bouncy. A little passive in this scrimmage. Had a few nice blocks.
3. Young looked good. Very solid at finishing, scores on Lively down low. Smart, strong player. Perfect 15 minute guy.
4. Catchings looks like he belongs. He hit 2 threes and tied up Flip when guarding him. Can contribute if needed. Strong kid.
5. Blakes looks a year away. Roach drove past him at will, and he is solid but doesn't seem to do anything at a high level. Still could play if needed.
6. Mitchell is very athletic, if a little raw. Interesting to see how he develops. Malik Sealy type build.
7. Whitehead looks solid. Reminds me of Moore a bit.
8. Roach looks great. Playing with a lot of confidence.
9. Schutt looked impressive. 2 threes and a nice finish over Lively.
10. Reeves is a year or two away, but he blocked Lively's shot. Could develop into a good one.
I think we could be good. Lots of height and depth, esp. when Grandison and Proctor join in.

Last edited:
You also have to remember, Young is going against Freshman where as he’s been at the college level for four years .

Reactions: christophero
Ok just watched the video again. Here are 10 quick thoughts. Early and super small sample size I know.
1. Flip needs to hit the weights. He's skilled but is going to get pushed around. I expect we see big improvement as the year goes on. Doesn't seem like a one and done, but it's Duke. Lots of potential there.
2. Lively is long. Lots of potential there. Very bouncy. A little passive in this scrimmage. Had a few nice blocks.
3. Young looked good. Very solid at finishing, scores on Lively down low. Smart, strong player. Perfect 15 minute guy.
4. Catchings looks like he belongs. He hit 2 threes and tied up Flip when guarding him. Can contribute if needed. Strong kid.
5. Blakes looks a year away. Roach drove past him at will, and he is solid but doesn't seem to do anything at a high level. Still could play if needed.
6. Mitchell is very athletic, if a little raw. Interesting to see how he develops. Malik Sealy type build.
7. Whitehead looks solid. Reminds me of Moore a bit.
8. Roach looks great. Playing with a lot of confidence.
9. Schutt looked impressive. 2 threes and a nice finish over Lively.
10. Reeves is a year or two away, but he blocked Lively's shot. Could develop into a good one.
I think we could be good. Lots of height and depth, esp. when Grandison and Proctor join in.
#4 i believe that was Johns....and you went deep in the bag w/ the Malik Sealy reference...=)

Ah, now I see where the Sealy reference came from! How about Sonny Dove? Before your time?

I agree with your thoughts. I'm hopping on the Schutt bandwagon just like I did with Grayson Allen his freshman year. I would love to be right twice although the chances are slim.

I don't know if Blakes is expecting a lot of PT this year or else he leaves, but assuming he knew what he was getting into, I still see him as a guy who can give some valuable minutes later this year or next year. I mean he's getting a free Duke education and went to a Final Four his freshman year. Not a bad gig.

Blakes is a good kid. But he looks a little tentative. He got into the lane and didn't know what to do. Still it's one practice.

Ah, now I see where the Sealy reference came from! How about Sonny Dove? Before your time?

I agree with your thoughts. I'm hopping on the Schutt bandwagon just like I did with Grayson Allen his freshman year. I would love to be right twice although the chances are slim.
I went there in the late 80s early 90s
I ran track.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Schutt looked way ahead of Blakes already. Kid is a baller.
Schutt was ranked higher then Blake’s and plays a different position. Baker looked good on scrimmages as well. Blake’s see’s the court if he can defend .

Reactions: jamsession3
Schutt was ranked higher then Blake’s and plays a different position. Baker looked good on scrimmages as well. Blake’s see’s the court if he can defend .
They may well not see the court much this year but that's ok. I think all of us wanted some guys who stay and contribute as upper classmen. Estrella and Power would fit that bill as well if they choose Duke. I certainly appreciate all the talent that has come through Duke and Jon is doing an outstanding job thus far in continuing the success. The 2025 class already looks like it could be outstanding with the Boozer twins and others. I see that opposing fan bases are slowly moving the goal posts from Duke can't recruit without K to Duke will fail on the sidelines without K. Jon will make them eat crow in that regard also. Oh, the life of a Duke hater, heaven is always just a few years away.

They may well not see the court much this year but that's ok. I think all of us wanted some guys who stay and contribute as upper classmen. Estrella and Power would fit that bill as well if they choose Duke. I certainly appreciate all the talent that has come through Duke and Jon is doing an outstanding job thus far in continuing the success. The 2025 class already looks like it could be outstanding with the Boozer twins and others. I see that opposing fan bases are slowly moving the goal posts from Duke can't recruit without K to Duke will fail on the sidelines without K. Jon will make them eat crow in that regard also. Oh, the life of a Duke hater, heaven is always just a few years away.
I think I’m away , Blake’s has to see the court along with Schutt. You mentioned the role Jon is on in recruiting and I see it as an example that in order to excel on the side line you need upperclassman with experience. Giving that to Schutt and Blake’s this year will only help them next season because I don’t see either starting over MCCain or Foster. However they could be lethal as upperclassman coming off the bench . Schutt will have Grandison and Catchings to play against this year along with Proctor and Blake’s will have Roach and Proctor . The key for 2023 is getting those two to return .We already know Duke will have size and Athleticism in the front court .

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Would love for Blakes to get some time, but with Proctor able to play both guard spots it might be hard for him to see the floor. He will probably need some minutes this year if we want to keep him, so maybe Jon will play 10 guys. If Schutt is able to play a little PG that would not help Blakes. I'm rooting for Blakes though we need more 4 year guys.

Would love for Blakes to get some time, but with Proctor able to play both guard spots it might be hard for him to see the floor. He will probably need some minutes this year if we want to keep him, so maybe Jon will play 10 guys. If Schutt is able to play a little PG that would not help Blakes. I'm rooting for Blakes though we need more 4 year guys.
Schutt should never play pg period . He’s a pure shooting guard and has the sg size for the league . If he’s in at pg then someone was seriously wrong about Roach and Proctor and IMO it would be like saying ,” No one had any intention of playing Blake’s .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT