ADVERTISEMENT

Additional Commitment to Duke 2023 Class

Duke in Power's final five. This decision will likely be made in a few weeks. By the way, Rivals has him listed at 6'10. Capable of playing the 5? Supposedly grew up a Duke fan and I would like to see a potential multiple year player in the 23 class.

Duke in Power's final five. This decision will likely be made in a few weeks. By the way, Rivals has him listed at 6'10. Capable of playing the 5? Supposedly grew up a Duke fan and I would like to see a potential multiple year player in the 23 class.
Sounds like it will likely come down to Duke, UNC, & Iowa. If Estrella ends up committing to Iowa this week, should eliminate them from Power’s top 3.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Sounds like it will likely come down to Duke, UNC, & Iowa. If Estrella ends up committing to Iowa this week, should eliminate them from Power’s top 3.
I have no information. It seems to me that Estrella committing to Iowa would increase the odds that he picks Iowa. Based on his highlights and comments, it appears that he is better on the perimeter and would want Estrella on the inside

Power looks good, and looks like a multi year guy. Reminds me of Singler, although not as highly rated.

Reactions: 9dukejames
Hubert Davis would love to sign Power at UNC. Slightly less-heralded PF Zayden High scheduled a UNC visit in the last few days making the Power to Duke rumor more likely

Reactions: christophero
I really like the idea of Young at the 5 next year. A senior at PG and C would be a dream. If Roach returns. We could also have Blakes and Schutt on the wings. Add a wing transfer and that is pretty good experience to add to the new class.

I saw some where that he wants to play collge baseball. He's a pitcher. There have been others who played both , Danny Ainge, Dave Winfield, Bo Jackson , Russell Wilson and others. Some can do it but I just can't see with the demands of more than one sport as to why to try to do both. I'm not saying he can't do both well. He' may be a one and done anyway. Don't know how Coach Scheyer will feel about it. I do remember ronald curry. He was UVA bound until cheater u told him he could plsy both basketball and football at cheater u. UVA just wanted him for football I believe. He did play a little for the Raiders but his pro career just did not happen. To give him credit I think in high school he was both the national prep player of the year i football and basketball.

I saw some where that he wants to play collge baseball. He's a pitcher. There have been others who played both , Danny Ainge, Dave Winfield, Bo Jackson , Russell Wilson and others. Some can do it but I just can't see with the demands of more than one sport as to why to try to do both. I'm not saying he can't do both well. He' may be a one and done anyway. Don't know how Coach Scheyer will feel about it. I do remember ronald curry. He was UVA bound until cheater u told him he could plsy both basketball and football at cheater u. UVA just wanted him for football I believe. He did play a little for the Raiders but his pro career just did not happen. To give him credit I think in high school he was both the national prep player of the year i football and basketball.
You're correct, skysdad. Curry had a pretty remarkable NFL career as a receiver. He tore his Achilles tendon twice but still managed to play seven or eight years.

Reactions: skysdad
I think it's too much to play basketball in late March or early April and then transition to baseball while keeping up with your classes. The better path is probably skip college baseball and play in the Cape Cod Summer League or if he's really good play minor league baseball

Who are we talking about here?

Who are we talking about here?
We are talking about TJ Power, a 6'8" senior in high school who is considering Duke, UNC, Boston college, Iowa and Virginia. He is from suburban Boston. He shoots from distance right handed and pitches left handed. Very coordinated. He is a bit of a late bloomer. Already 19 years old. Birth date August 11, 2003

Trajan Langdon was a great HS baseball player as well as, obviously, a great basketball player. He was drafted by the Padres and played minor league ball in the summer for a couple of years while at Duke.

We are talking about TJ Power, a 6'8" senior in high school who is considering Duke, UNC, Boston college, Iowa and Virginia. He is from suburban Boston. He shoots from distance right handed and pitches left handed. Very coordinated. He is a bit of a late bloomer. Already 19 years old. Birth date August 11, 2003
Oh sorry we kinda bounced around talking about prospects here and I was a little confused

Monte Towe and Tim Stoddard played on the NC State national champion basketball team in the 1970's and played on the baseball team as well. The only baseball game I went to in 4 years at Duke was to see them play. Stoddard went on to be a sold MLB pitcher for the Orioles I think.

Monte Towe and Tim Stoddard played on the NC State national champion basketball team in the 1970's and played on the baseball team as well. The only baseball game I went to in 4 years at Duke was to see them play. Stoddard went on to be a sold MLB pitcher for the Orioles I think.
Stoddard was more than solid. He pitched 13 years in the majors. He also acted in the movie Big. A true triple threat.

Jim Spanarkel pitched for Duke for two seasons and one of the reasons he picked Duke was Bill Foster agreed to let him play both sports.

But that was a long time ago, when sports weren't so specialized. But I'm sure Chris Pollard would like to have a decent lefty arm without using even a partial scholarship, even if only for the latter portion of the season.

Fabulous post!!! Didn't know that Spanarkel pitched. It's not Duke related but I sat on the front row of a LaSalle game probably 1988. Lionel Simmons was supposed to be their star but I was mesmerized by Tim Legler who had a very good pro career and is now on ESPN. He had the strongest hands and was more highly rated as a shortstop than shooting guard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT