ADVERTISEMENT

ACC coach says Williamson/Barrett as top pick is coin flip!

I don’t disagree. I think Barrett ends up being the better pro but Zion the bigger star. You have to take Zion but I wouldn’t be upset with Barrett.

Reactions: skysdad
Zion is an incredible talent but I can see why some GMs might be a bit hesitant to pick him with a #1 pick. I think RJ's floor and Morant's floor are both higher than Zion's.

An NBA GM has seen players like RJ and Morant succeed in the league. Who have they seen like Zion to give them any comfort he'll succeed in the league? Zion is maybe a once-in-a-generation talent. But what NBA player is 6'7" and doesn't have a jump shot? If you're an NBA GM, do you hesitate a little in thinking Zion can be a franchise player?

I still think it's a no-brainer to pick Zion #1. His upside is so high it's virtually impossible to predict and he has plenty of time to work on any weaknesses in his game. He could legit be a top-10 all-time player. I doubt you can say that about anyone else in this draft.

But I'm just saying I don't think it's ludicrous to think a GM may have some heartburn about using a #1 pick on him.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Both are going to be amazing. The best thing about the NBA, they can use contact in their favor. Their strength was literally a downfall for them in college, got called for Sooooooo many BS contact fouls that won't even be given a glance in the league. It's gonna be so fun, I may have to tune in.

Last edited:
Yeahh Zion is going #1 if for no other reason than any GM will be fired if Zion does turn out to be a trenscendent guy and that GM passes on him.

However....were only 6 months removed from RJ being the consensus #1 pick (a lot of draft guru's have said RJ would have been the #1 pick in LAST YEAR'S draft too if he had been eligible.)
I think they are both gonna be future all-stars. I'd still bet on ZIon being an all-timer over RJ.
What I'm most excited for is the Hawks having the Mavericks pick. There is a slim chance the Hawks will have picks like 2 and 6. 1 and 7, whatever. Meaning Cam could go to them along with Zion/RJ, that would be sweet.

Yeahh Zion is going #1 if for no other reason than any GM will be fired if Zion does turn out to be a trenscendent guy and that GM passes on him.

However....were only 6 months removed from RJ being the consensus #1 pick (a lot of draft guru's have said RJ would have been the #1 pick in LAST YEAR'S draft too if he had been eligible.)
I think they are both gonna be future all-stars. I'd still bet on ZIon being an all-timer over RJ.
What I'm most excited for is the Hawks having the Mavericks pick. There is a slim chance the Hawks will have picks like 2 and 6. 1 and 7, whatever. Meaning Cam could go to them along with Zion/RJ, that would be sweet.

Very well thought out and solid summary.... OFC

Reactions: jwill133
Zion is an incredible talent but I can see why some GMs might be a bit hesitant to pick him with a #1 pick. I think RJ's floor and Morant's floor are both higher than Zion's.

An NBA GM has seen players like RJ and Morant succeed in the league. Who have they seen like Zion to give them any comfort he'll succeed in the league? Zion is maybe a once-in-a-generation talent. But what NBA player is 6'7" and doesn't have a jump shot? If you're an NBA GM, do you hesitate a little in thinking Zion can be a franchise player?

I still think it's a no-brainer to pick Zion #1. His upside is so high it's virtually impossible to predict and he has plenty of time to work on any weaknesses in his game. He could legit be a top-10 all-time player. I doubt you can say that about anyone else in this draft.

But I'm just saying I don't think it's ludicrous to think a GM may have some heartburn about using a #1 pick on him.

ENJOYED READING! OFC

Reactions: DukeJim99
it’s cool that RJ is getting the much-deserved respect from this ACC coach but I don’t know about it being a coin-flip. Guess you can argue who the better long-term player is but Zion’s marketability by himself will create a significant economic boom for a team. And to be honest, I’m actually planning on watching as many full NBA games as I can with the team he is on. I believe he will up TV ratings, especially his first year. If I’m a GM, no heads or tails about it.

Reactions: skysdad
the concerns with Zion are his shot (which can be offset some by his potential use at center for stretches in the new nba)...

Then his physical stature. I do worry about his weight and what impact that could have on his long term future to stay healthy.

Outside of that...his positives are as high in areas of effort/attitude/competitiveness as anyone I can remember with that talent.

I am a Hawks fan. I would LOVE to see Zion go there!!

Reactions: hart2chesson

An NBA GM has seen players like RJ and Morant succeed in the league. Who have they seen like Zion to give them any comfort he'll succeed in the league? Zion is maybe a once-in-a-generation talent. But what NBA player is 6'7" and doesn't have a jump shot?

Draymond Green.

I could see Zion playing a position/role very similar to Draymond.

Draymond Green.

I could see Zion playing a position/role very similar to Draymond.

Draymond is maybe the fifth best player on his team and is a very slightly below average offensive player in the NBA, according to the advanced stats.

If I'm picking #1, I'm not hoping to get a guy who will be the fifth best player on my team.

Again, I'm not ragging on Zion. I loved watching him play, think he'll be a success in the NBA, and would absolutely pick him if I had the #1 pick. I'm just saying I understand why a GM would feel just a little nervous with that pick.

I think Zion will be a great pro. It only helps that he is a really good team player. There is a shortage of that in the nba.
A no brainer pick.

Reactions: christophero
I think a GM would get fired in about 2 years if they didn't pick Zion first

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT