ADVERTISEMENT

A Theoretical Duke Super Team vs. 2018-2019

AxeS24

Recruit
Jul 23, 2018
I compiled some statistics to compare this year's team versus a hypothetical super team.

PG: Tyus Jones
SG: Brandon Ingram
SF: Jabari Parker
PF: Jayson Tatum
C: --

Combined stats while at Duke:

2 pt FG%: 48.2%
3 pt FG%: 37.8%
FT %: 78.5%

PG: Tre Jones
SG: R.J. Barrett
SF: Cam Reddish
PF: Zion Williamson

Combined stats this year:

2 pt FG%: 57.2%
3 pt FG%: 31.6%
FT %: 67.6%

Stylistically, let's presume Coach K coaches the same way.
That's about 37% 3s, 63% 2s.

The 2018-19 team outscores the Super Team 83-80 if given 78 possessions, which is the Duke average.

So this team is better offensively than a hypothetical Super Team.

Defensively, this team was top 5 in the NCAA with a healthy Tre Jones, who is lauded as the best defender in the NCAA.

We all know Jabari and Tyus had their struggles on that end. Neither Ingram nor Tatum were on great defensive teams/known as great defenders.

I would feel comfortable saying the defense is better in reality than hypothetically, as well.

Consider Tre Jones doesn't turn the ball over, just like Tyus. So that's pretty much a wash.

Edge in rebounding may go to this team because of Zion.

Point of the post: we are so damn lucky to have this team this year.

And they are only getting better.

Last edited:
The one thing I'm waiting to see from this year's team is an assault dunk from Zion like Tatum's criminal assault dunk on kennedy meeks. There is no doubt that Zion has had some of those most devastating and vicious dunks ever witnessed but Tatum's no mercy attack to me still is the pinnacle. I know that Zion hasn't yet had the opportunity to display one of these. Perhaps it's because the defenders this year has the common sense to get out of the way but sooner or later there will be another kennedy meeks who thinks he's man enough to slap Zion's thunder back. If any of you still has a video of Jason's abuse please post it. I had heard that all copies were in the Durham county's D. A.' s office pending assault charges that hof coach roy williams is still thinking about filing. :D Good thread. It would be cool to see these 2 teams play. OFC

Would love to see a last possession scenario where Tre is Guarding Tyus. Irresistible force meets immovable object.

I compiled some statistics to compare this year's team versus a hypothetical super team.

Personally I would have Tatum play the 3 and Jabari play the 4...that is mostly where they played at Duke.
Bagley's numbers were better than anyone (up until maybe RJ or Zion) so I think he should be on there to even things up a bit.

Combined stats while at Duke:

2 pt FG%: 48.2%
3 pt FG%: 37.8%
FT %: 78.5%

PG: Tre Jones
SG: R.J. Barrett
SF: Cam Reddish
PF: Zion Williamson

Combined stats this year:

2 pt FG%: 57.2%
3 pt FG%: 31.6%
FT %: 67.6%

Stylistically, let's presume Coach K coaches the same way.
That's about 37% 3s, 63% 2s.

The 2018-19 team outscores the Super Team 83-80 if given 78 possessions, which is the Duke average.

So this team is better offensively than a hypothetical Super Team.

Defensively, this team was top 5 in the NCAA with a healthy Tre Jones, who is lauded as the best defender in the NCAA.

We all know Jabari and Tyus had their struggles on that end. Neither Ingram nor Tatum were on great defensive teams/known as great defenders.

I would feel comfortable saying the defense is better in reality than hypothetically, as well.

Consider Tre Jones doesn't turn the ball over, just like Tyus. So that's pretty much a wash.

Edge in rebounding may go to this team because of Zion.

Point of the post: we are so damn lucky to have this team this year.

And they are only getting better.
How old are you?
OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
Super team during K’s time? If so, I don’t see how you don’t start it with Laettner Grant, and Battier. Plenty of good guards to choose from.

Bagely is your 5 his offense was insane in the paint last year.

An "all-time" Duke Super Team would look different, as some have said. Grant Hill and Christian Laettner are on that team. I would put Zion at the 4. JJ at the 2 and either Hurley or Jay Will at the point.

I should have clarified and said over the past 10 or so years. OAD era.

The point is: this team has the best personnel on one team we've had in at least 18 years, IMO. 2001 was really the last time you could look at our roster and say, "Clearly Duke has the most talent in America". 2011, yes, but Kyrie's toe injury happened. 2017, yes, but Harry's knee injuries happened.

Zions aren't around every year. Maybe once every 100 years.

And then we've got the clear number two guy in R.J.

Then Tre Jones is one of the 2 or 3 best point guards in the country.

Reddish has been in a funk lately, but I'm a believer in his skill. He is a lot like Ingram during the early part of his freshman year.

If you’re taking OAD give me Tyus, Justice, oak and then just fill in the rest.

Doesn't everyone realize that Bagley isn't ever allowed to be given any credit on here because the team he played on was poor defensively and he just happened to be the best player on that team????

OAD Only (not counting this year) I'd go:
Tyus
Ingram
Tatum
Bagley
Okafor

Reactions: dbav
Doesn't everyone realize that Bagley isn't ever allowed to be given any credit on here because the team he played on was poor defensively and he just happened to be the best player on that team????

OAD Only (not counting this year) I'd go:
Tyus
Ingram
Tatum
Bagley
Okafor

I like this team but I think I have to have either Kyrie and / or Justise if we are talking recent and excluding this years team.....all this does is remind us of how many incredible players we have had!!!!

I like this team but I think I have to have either Kyrie and / or Justise if we are talking recent and excluding this years team.....all this does is remind us of how many incredible players we have had!!!!
We have had too many incredible players to even count them all. I thought about Kyrie, but I based my guys strictly off college production.
Kyrie is a tough one because of the injury, but when he did play, he was maybe the best of any! He has had the most successful pro career so far.
Okafor is like the exact opposite, amazing one year: ACC POY, had a National Championship offense ran through him, buttt the pro career has been bad.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Maybe Mercer is clouding my memory, but feel like Parker is overrated in his one year here. Terrible defender and not terribly efficient on offense.

I agree with Kyrie. Don't know we haven't mentioned I'm and that includes myself unless it's been a while and he played just a few games. It would interesting to see if he had played a full season on how we rank him in the way of great players. I know the few games he played that he was a handful and created just as much problems Zion did but from a pg position. OFC

Maybe Mercer is clouding my memory, but feel like Parker is overrated in his one year here. Terrible defender and not terribly efficient on offense.
Can’t argue against his defense, he was bad.

Offensively though, I thought he was as good as any OAD we have had. He just wasn’t surrounded by a bunch of other great players, so he was facing a lot more double teams, defenses focusing more on him etc.

Zion is the one oad that I think could fit in on any of the teams from the past. He would have made any Duke team better.

The kid brings it both sides of the court.

Put Zion and Justise on the same team and play on a playground with no refs and I don't think anyone would want to challenge them.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Zion is the one oad that I think could fit in on any of the teams from the past. He would have made any Duke team better.

The kid brings it both sides of the court.

I agree with you mac. One reason is I think he is so unselfish. Not that the others aren't but Zion truly is just as happy when a team mate is having a big night. By the way I assume you got the PTRF money to The Cutting Board and found it. I have to admit I was a little concerned about it as I watched the game. Just a note here guys. Please keep this PTRF in the house. We could get in some big time trouble for us and Duke. ;) OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I agree with you mac. One reason is I think he is so unselfish. Not that the others aren't but Zion truly is just as happy when a team mate is having a big night. By the way I assume you got the PTRF money to The Cutting Board and found it. I have to admit I was a little concerned about it as I watched the game. Just a note here guys. Please keep this PTRF in the house. We could get in some big time trouble for us and Duke. ;) OFC
Sky, the money for Virginia was in there, and you saw the results. There was a note from Hart and Dirt apologizing for the Syracuse money not being there. They went to the Boom Boom Lounge.
We got hosed that night. I hung up mad at Hart after he said “Mac, let me tell you about our night!”

I tried sir.

An "all-time" Duke Super Team would look different, as some have said. Grant Hill and Christian Laettner are on that team. I would put Zion at the 4. JJ at the 2 and either Hurley or Jay Will at the point.

I should have clarified and said over the past 10 or so years. OAD era.

The point is: this team has the best personnel on one team we've had in at least 18 years, IMO. 2001 was really the last time you could look at our roster and say, "Clearly Duke has the most talent in America". 2011, yes, but Kyrie's toe injury happened. 2017, yes, but Harry's knee injuries happened.

Zions aren't around every year. Maybe once every 100 years.

And then we've got the clear number two guy in R.J.

Then Tre Jones is one of the 2 or 3 best point guards in the country.

Reddish has been in a funk lately, but I'm a believer in his skill. He is a lot like Ingram during the early part of his freshman year.

J. Dawkins will be a guard on any all time Duke team. Boggles my mind how much he is forgotten a lot of times.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT