ADVERTISEMENT

Zion - best basketball player ever at duke?

So hard to answer.

Hill, Battier, Laettner...

But jeez, even though we only have a single season, and its a different era, and so on... I could imagine that you could argue Zion is maybe the best we've had.

Nuts. And this on the heels of Marvin and Jayson and some REALLY talented young guys...

The best distinction for these conversations has to be:

Best career vs. Best talent

I think that’s the most appropriate way to handle these things. We’re talking about so many eras of basketball to span Duke. Art Heyman has one of the best resumes and one of the most dominant careers at Duke statistically. Was he a better talent than Zion keeping in mind style of play for each generation respectively, I’d say no, but not by much.

Grant Hill is the best. If he didn't get hurt he would've been mentioned on Mt Rushmore of NBA basketball IMO

He’d have lead the league in scoring for at least 3 more seasons. I think he would have found his way to a championship too.

The best distinction for these conversations has to be:

Best career vs. Best talent

I think that’s the most appropriate way to handle these things. We’re talking about so many eras of basketball to span Duke. Art Heyman has one of the best resumes and one of the most dominant careers at Duke statistically. Was he a better talent than Zion keeping in mind style of play for each generation respectively, I’d say no, but not by much.

I kept thinking about Art as well.

Reactions: dukehokie
Elton Brand? Anyone? I don't know college basketball is so weak compared to what it use to be, it's hard to judge. Zion is very gifted ,but in a cage match Elton would be the one walking out, if you get what I'm saying.

Elton Brand? Anyone? I don't know college basketball is so weak compared to what it use to be, it's hard to judge. Zion is very gifted ,but in a cage match Elton would be the one walking out, if you get what I'm saying.

I don't.
Elton was listed at 1" taller, but 20lbs lighter. That is based on the very first stat I found. I can't guarantee the accuracy. Anyway, I don't think it is a given that Elton would get the best of him. Driving with the ball, Im not so sure Zion doesn't get around Elton.
In a cage match? The biggest guy doesn't always win there either.

Hey. He’s not “technically” a One & Done. Like... not yet.

Okay. Sorry. As you were

Wait. Okay. Legit answer. He might be the most physically-gifted player to play at Duke. He might be the most exciting Duke player I’ve seen. Hell... we’ll never be able to compare him to a Laettner or a Hill. Or a Hurley. Or a Battier.

But, the guy is ridiculous. Just remember though... he’s a fat, lazy, low-basketball IQ kid who can only dunk. Simply this, and nothing more.

I don't.
Elton was listed at 1" taller, but 20lbs lighter. That is based on the very first stat I found. I can't guarantee the accuracy. Anyway, I don't think it is a given that Elton would get the best of him. Driving with the ball, Im not so sure Zion doesn't get around Elton.
Never said a word bout size,toughness Brand got him beat in that,department...they both going up for a board it's Brand ball, Love Zion but he is a little whiny sometimes, and he's not competing against Antwoin Jamison and the like as Brand did and dominated, and someone told long ago stats don't mean anything when the game starts...they had a point.

I don't have anything negative to say about Brand. I loved his game. Would he beat Zion going up for a rebound? Maybe, but I think Zion has some skills that we haven't seen other big men possess. I'm really not even sure what we are trying to accomplish here? But whiny? Haven't seen that.

Reactions: dukehokie
Never said a word bout size,toughness Brand got him beat in that,department...they both going up for a board it's Brand ball, Love Zion but he is a little whiny sometimes, and he's not competing against Antwoin Jamison and the like as Brand did and dominated, and someone told long ago stats don't mean anything when the game starts...they had a point.
Zion...whiny....? Be gone troll.

I don't have anything negative to say about Brand. I loved his game. Would he beat Zion going up for a rebound? Maybe, but I think Zion has some skills that we haven't seen other big men possess. I'm really not even sure what we are trying to accomplish here? But whiny? Haven't seen that.
Whiny probably poor choice of words, does seem to show it in his face when things don't go his way, just wanted to give Brand credit..point being thread asked Zion best ever?

I agree with whomever said Laettner and it’s not even really close in my mind....plus he had all the intangibles that brought a bit of nastiness when it was called for....

Is Zion the most gifted athletically? Probably...but Laettner could play around the rim just like Zion...played great defense also...and he could really really shoot....not to mention all his accolades in the tournaments...when it was winning time it was Laettner time....Zion hasn’t even played in a tournament game yet....and the only Semi Tournament we played in against Gonzaga we lost....

Reactions: dukesince91
I read your post about the genius Roy and now this crap. Zion a little whiney, really? You're a troll that needs to be taken out with the trash.

Whiny probably poor choice of words, does seem to show it in his face when things don't go his way, just wanted to give Brand credit..point being thread asked Zion best ever?
Don’t worry. Your boy big Luke will find out how whiny he is next Wednesday night.

Reactions: DukefanKY

Probably poor?? Try WAY poor.....and ease up on praising Roy and Jameson if you want to pull this "I'm a Duke fan" gig with any success

I don't.
In a cage match my money is on Zion and that’s with no disrespect to Brand. Zion’s athleticism, strength and quickness would win out. Zion also has a drive in him that is rare.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Christian Laettner is easily the best player ever at Duke,one of the top 5 all time college players,4 final 4's in 4 years,2 National Championships,Player of the year in 1992,for those too young to remember "the shot" game vs Kentucky,along with hitting the winning shot,he was also 10 of 10 from the field,and 10 of 10 from the foul line...not to mention a world famous foot stomp!

Reactions: Laettshow
In a cage match my money is on Zion and that’s with no disrespect to Brand. Zion’s athleticism, strength and quickness would win out. Zion also has a drive in him that is rare.

I agree.....especially the part about the drive. There is a reason that even non Duke fan "experts" say that we haven't seen anything like him. To be able to move through traffic with the ball like he does at his size is crazy

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Christian is far and away the greatest player ever at Duke with Dawkins probably second on the list. Must be a ton of young ones on this board because he rarely gets mentioned....that tells me there was no way you saw him play, because he was unreal.

Grant Hill is the best. If he didn't get hurt he would've been mentioned on Mt Rushmore of NBA basketball IMO

I have heard many people say if Grant would have not gotten hurt, that he would have been better than Kobe and he would have been the face of the NBA during that time not Kobe.

I can’t think of anyone private or public would thought that other then maybe a fan. Loved Grant and his potential but Kobe offensive package as well as MJ type dog is on a different

I have heard many people say if Grant would have not gotten hurt, that he would have been better than Kobe and he would have been the face of the NBA during that time not Kobe.

Reactions: skysdad
When in the hell have you ever seen Zion whiny? That kid plays with heart every play, when he makes mistakes he acknowledged them to our guys. What an ignorant take on him.

When in the hell have you ever seen Zion whiny? That kid plays with heart every play, when he makes mistakes he acknowledged them to our guys. What an ignorant take on him.

That is not a Duke fan in my opinion. Too much praise for Roy, and to slide the Jamison complement in, and calling Zion whiny......I smell wussy blue

I said Brand dominated Jamison, not really a compliment, but he had a very good NBA career, I'm just give credit where it's due,I suppose if I said Jordan is Over Lebron I call me a tar hole or something else childish. Again Zion is a huge talent no doubt, but the 1998 team would be beat him and the rest of the current team, and the 1999 team would crush them. Why? Because college basketball is weak not just cause of one n dones, but also American youth basketball doesn't emphasize fundamentals, that's why Euro players are coming into the league at historic rates and some are dominating. BUT WE WORSHIP THE DUNK AND CALL PLAYERS GREAT BY HOW MANY THEY HAVE. It's still just 2 points

I said Brand dominated Jamison, not really a compliment, but he had a very good NBA career, I'm just give credit where it's due,I suppose if I said Jordan is Over Lebron I call me a tar hole or something else childish. Again Zion is a huge talent no doubt, but the 1998 team would be beat him and the rest of the current team, and the 1999 team would crush them. Why? Because college basketball is weak not just cause of one n dones, but also American youth basketball doesn't emphasize fundamentals, that's why Euro players are coming into the league at historic rates and some are dominating. BUT WE WORSHIP THE DUNK AND CALL PLAYERS GREAT BY HOW MANY THEY HAVE. It's still just 2 points
That lame “I’m a huge duke fan” attempt at a thread that you started got locked so you’re going full on troll in this thread now huh? lol

If you are a Duke fan (unlikely) then you need a real lesson on basketball. Zion is a once in a generation type player at the college level. He’s not worshipped because of his dunking alone. Yeah, his dunks are awesome and deserve to be admired. He’s also on the list for NDPOY. He keeps as many points off the board as he puts on the board. If he’s within 10’ of a potential rebound then he’s most likely going to get it. He also traveled 15+ feet in less than a second to make one of the most amazing blocks any of us will ever see. His motor is unmatched. Oh, and he’s hitting 3s now. He’s not worshipped because of his dunking alone. He’s getting the attention he deserves for being the best college basketball player in a very long time.

I don’t believe you’re a Duke fan. I’d be more than happy if you prove me wrong, but you haven’t at this point.

That lame “I’m a huge Wduke fan” attempt at a thread that you started got locked so you’re going full on troll in this thread now huh? lol
It wasn't a troll thread and I said I was Duke blue true and threw, I know should have been true and through,caught it soon as I posted it, but didn't edit cause who gives a crap, just like who cares if I'm a Duke fan or not, I have been respectful and just talked about basketball. No one can match k he is the gold standard no doubt, but Roy Williams has done what only a handful of others have in over a century of college basketball. That qualifies him as a basketball genius in my opinion.

If you are a Duke fan (unlikely) then you need a real lesson on basketball. Zion is a once in a generation type player at the college level. He’s not worshipped because of his dunking alone. Yeah, his dunks are awesome and deserve to be admired. He’s also on the list for NDPOY. He keeps as many points off the board as he puts on the board. If he’s within 10’ of a potential rebound then he’s most likely going to get it. He also traveled 15+ feet in less than a second to make one of the most amazing blocks any of us will ever see. His motor is unmatched. Oh, and he’s hitting 3s now. He’s not worshipped because of his dunking alone. He’s getting the attention he deserves for being the best college basketball player in a very long time.

I don’t believe you’re a Duke fan. I’d be more than happy if you prove me wrong, but you haven’t at this point.
Never said he wasn't a great player, the thread asked if he was greatest ever at Duke, no one brought up Brand, so I did, Zion has started off gangbusters but he has a ways to go to match Brands college success or his 17 year NBA career with multiple allstar appearances. Really read my post I wouldn't know so much about Duke if I wasn't a fan...random memory, Carmen Wallace scores 5 points in Acc tournament, 1996 I believe, K says he didn't know he could do that, a Tar heel fan wouldn't know that, but yes I love when they are good and give us a battle, hate a blowout

I can’t think of anyone private or public would thought that other then maybe a fan. Loved Grant and his potential but Kobe offensive package as well as MJ type dog is on a different

I think Grant would have been the face until Kobe. He had the Sprite contract, movie offers, all of the above. He just chose wrong between Nike and Filas. He was “trying to go in a different direction.” Had he gone Nike, they would have pushed his image super hard.

As much as I love Zion - and I love the hell out of him - I just can’t blindly say “yes” based off of his performance through 24 games vs the history of the greatest program of all time!!!

Never said he wasn't a great player, the thread asked if he was greatest ever at Duke, no one brought up Brand, so I did, Zion has started off gangbusters but he has a ways to go to match Brands college success or his 17 year NBA career with multiple allstar appearances. Really read my post I wouldn't know so much about Duke if I wasn't a fan...random memory, Carmen Wallace scores 5 points in Acc tournament, 1996 I believe, K says he didn't know he could do that, a Tar heel fan wouldn't know that, but yes I love when they are good and give us a battle, hate a blowout

You sure do know a lot from the 96-99 range. Maybe you were a student at UNC then so those memories stick out more? I don’t know. I do know that UNC fans love to bring up Brand because of a letter he wrote. So, they typically know a lot about him. Kind of like how we Duke fans know more about McCants than most UNC players. Brand was a great player, but he’s not in the conversation for greatest Duke player of all time. It’s questionable why you keep bringing him up.

You called Zion whiny. You downplayed his contribution as just a dunker that only adds 2 pts (common argument from the teams that missed out on “the fat kid”). Your other thread went no where bc it was obvious what you were trying to do.

Cut your losses. Ditch the user name. Lay low and come back and try again in 3-6 months. We can all play this game again in the offseason. Good luck next Wednesday. You’ll need it.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Even if he wins a national title this year, no. I think we still had Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, and Jay Williams.

You sure do know a lot from the 96-99 range. Maybe you were a student at UNC then so those memories stick out more? I don’t know. I do know that UNC fans love to bring up Brand because of a letter he wrote. So, they typically know a lot about him. Kind of like how we Duke fans know more about McCants than most UNC players. Brand was a great player, but he’s not in the conversation for greatest Duke player of all time. It’s questionable why you keep bringing him up.

You called Zion whiny. You downplayed his contribution as just a dunker that only adds 2 pts (common argument from the teams that missed out on “the fat kid”). Your other thread went no where bc it was obvious what you were trying to do.

Cut your losses. Ditch the user name. Lay low and come back and try again in 3-6 months. We can all play this game again in the offseason. Good luck next Wednesday. You’ll need it.
Didn't say he was just a dunker, he has 3 point range and ball handing skills, and guess what K said once Hurley had poor facial expressions,criticism does not mean hate. My favorite guard post Hurley...Jon Scheyer so freaking tough, a Tar heel troll would say Kyrie for sure. Oh and I love my username it's creative and ties in with the whole devils theme

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT