ADVERTISEMENT

Zion - best basketball player ever at duke?

In my humble opinion there has never been a player as explosive and sensational as Zion. He is the most freakish and unstoppable force in the years I have been a fan and I've been watching Duke since the late 1970's and he is the most talented I have ever seen. Laettner is the most celebrated because of his many accomplishments.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Didn't say he was just a dunker, he has 3 point range and ball handing skills, and guess what K said once Hurley had poor facial expressions,criticism does not mean hate. My favorite guard post Hurley...Jon Scheyer so freaking tough, a Tar heel troll would say Kyrie for sure. Oh and I love my username it's creative and ties in with the whole devils theme
Not sure a Cheater fan would say Kyrie given his injury. Probably Jay Williams. Anyways, I don’t believe you but I’m done beating the horse. It’s dead. Let’s see if you prove me wrong. I’m not holding my breath. Carry on.

Reactions: QC Dukie
It wasn't a troll thread and I said I was Duke blue true and threw, I know should have been true and through,caught it soon as I posted it, but didn't edit cause who gives a crap, just like who cares if I'm a Duke fan or not, I have been respectful and just talked about basketball. No one can match k he is the gold standard no doubt, but Roy Williams has done what only a handful of others have in over a century of college basketball. That qualifies him as a basketball genius in my opinion.
If you start a thread saying that Roy Williams is a basketball genius when you have less than 10 posts on the board after almost 8 years as a member of the board then that is the definition of a troll thread and don’t try that “I have a life so I don’t post much” excuse that you tried to use in that thread because it’s beyond weak because every person that posts on this board has a life but we’ve all posted a lot more than the 15 posts that you’ve posted in almost 8 years as a member of the board. All of which have been in the last day since the thread you started.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Also pulling for Duke Wednesday but more than anything I would love to see a Duke Carolina classic
If you start a thread saying that Roy Williams is a basketball genius when you have less than 10 posts on the board after almost 8 years as a member of the board then that is the definition of a troll thread and don’t try that “I have a life so I don’t post much” excuse that you tried to use in that thread because it’s beyond weak because every person that posts on this board has a life but we’ve all posted a lot more than the 15 posts that you’ve posted in almost 8 years as a member of the board. All of which have been in the last day since the thread you started.
What about my first thread years ago...let's give love to the assistant coaches? Usually I just read ,you guys cover everything pretty well, except no one mentioned the assistant coaches so I started that one. Then I noticed every year before We play Carolina, yes I said we cause K said the fans are part of the family too, some of you guys start with the the huckleberry Roy thing and act like you know more about basketball than him, newsflash you don't , it makes the board appear homerish and iqnorant.

Also pulling for Duke Wednesday but more than anything I would love to see a Duke Carolina classic

What about my first thread years ago...let's give love to the assistant coaches? Usually I just read ,you guys cover everything pretty well, except no one mentioned the assistant coaches so I started that one. Then I noticed every year before We play Carolina, yes I said we cause K said the fans are part of the family too, some of you guys start with the the huckleberry Roy thing and act like you know more about basketball than him, newsflash you don't , it makes the board appear homerish and iqnorant.

If you start a thread saying that Roy Williams is a basketball genius when you have less than 10 posts on the board after alm
Not sure a Cheater fan would say Kyrie given his injury. Probably Jay Williams. Anyways, I don’t believe you but I’m done beating the horse. It’s dead. Let’s see if you prove me wrong. I’m
ost 8 years as a member of the board then that is the definition of a troll thread and don’t try that “I have a life so I don’t post much” excuse that you tried to use in that thread because it’s beyond weak because every person that posts on this board has a life but we’ve all posted a lot more than the 15 posts that you’ve posted in almost 8 years as a member of the board. All of which have been in the last day since the thread you started.

Ok I admit it, I joined the board 8 years ago, started a thread a couple years later bout love for assistant coaches just to hide my true intentions and then bided my time for years to call Roy a genius and say Zion isn't the greatest player ever to play for Duke. But you guys foiled my grand scheme ,see what mean about having a life? Paranoia much?

Look didn't post to get in some pissing contest with anyone, I like this board it's not pretentious like devil's den, and I knew soon as I saw OFC it meant old farts club, funny how many of you Duke educated guys were clueless, and no I wasn't a Unc student, I'm a Durham tech grad( loser am I right)? Anyway I will go back to just reading,it's cool, not into proving anything to anyone but myself, but that's me,do you.

I can’t think of anyone private or public would thought that other then maybe a fan. Loved Grant and his potential but Kobe offensive package as well as MJ type dog is on a different

I remember Dick Vitale saying it and some other broadcasters. I don't think Grant had the killer instinct like Kobe, but I do think he was a smarter player. I like Kobe and am not trying to take anything away from him, but he had Shaq on his team when Shaq was the most dominant player the NBA had seen.

He won without Shaq as well. Grant was just never close to the scorer that Kobe was. Grant was a better all around player though. Ben Simmons reminds me a lot of grant with his ability to score and be a elite defender

I remember Dick Vitale saying it and some other broadcasters. I don't think Grant had the killer instinct like Kobe, but I do think he was a smarter player. I like Kobe and am not trying to take anything away from him, but he had Shaq on his team when Shaq was the most dominant player the NBA had seen.

Reactions: skysdad
I could agree with best Duke freshman ever, sure. So far I have no arguments with that. As entertaining as he is, he’s even more efficient.

Can’t put him in the category as the best ever, he’d need to stay at least 3 years for that arguement.

I wish I could agree that's it's Zion but the bottom line he hasn't been at Duke long enough. It's not fair to the great players that came before him. If he could stay at Duke at least two more years and still improve it would be scary but how soon we forget guys like Grant Hill and Christian Laettner along with a couple of others. OFC

Reactions: carlsondevil
Look didn't post to get in some pissing contest with anyone, I like this board it's not pretentious like devil's den, and I knew soon as I saw OFC it meant old farts club, funny how many of you Duke educated guys were clueless, and no I wasn't a Unc student, I'm a Durham tech grad( loser am I right)? Anyway I will go back to just reading,it's cool, not into proving anything to anyone but myself, but that's me,do you.

TDD is pretentious? Uhhh... have you met KevinStrickland?

To be honest I'm a little confused. Are a Duke fan? OFC

I question anyone’s loyalty to Duke that wants this to be a classic game. We want to beat the snot out of the Holes every time we play.

To be honest I'm a little confused. Are a Duke fan? OFC
Absolutely am a Duke, why must this include a petty hatred of Carolina? We have the best rivalry in all of sports, if we blow them out by 30 every time it just becomes another game...I would really hate that, some of the Duke/Carolina games have been real nailbitters, battles to the end. Have a feeling this years game will be very competitive. Really looking forward to them, and yes pulling for Duke to win, but if they lose I won't become clinically depressed like some on this board.

Absolutely am a Duke, why must this include a petty hatred of Carolina? We have the best rivalry in all of sports, if we blow them out by 30 every time it just becomes another game...I would really hate that, some of the Duke/Carolina games have been real nailbitters, battles to the end. Have a feeling this years game will be very competitive. Really looking forward to them, and yes pulling for Duke to win, but if they lose I won't become clinically depressed like some on this board.

I don't give a ram's crap what it does to the rivary if we blow them out by 30 points a game. I don't even want them to score in any sport. They are cheaters and got away with it when no other program in the country could have. Lost every bit of respect for the entire athletic program. OFC

Last edited:
If Zion wins a title then I would say he's had the best season ever of anyone at Duke. Fair or not, you've got to do it when it counts if we're talking about the Laettners, Battiers and Hills. I would put him in the top 5 right now.

Reactions: Mac9192
I don't give a ram's crap what it does to the rivary if we blow them out by 30 points a game. I don't even want them to score in any sport. They are cheaters and got away with it when no other program in the country could have. Lost every bit of respect for the entire athletic program. OFC
If Duke won every game against them 150-0 for the rest of my life then I could only be happier if they won one of those games 151-0.

Is that guy for real? I wanna beat em by 50 every time we play. I don’t give a rats @$$ about what it does to the rivalry.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand why how long a player is here has anything to do with how good he is?

Tell me one player ever in Duke history that could stop him

Reactions: Mac9192
I'm trying to understand why how long a player is here has anything to do with how good he is?

Tell me one player ever in Duke history that could stop him

If the question is who is the most athletically gifted, dazzling basketball talent to ever put on a Duke jersey - Zion makes a strong case. Admitting that, Jay Williams puts up a strong case. I’d imagine given the size disparity, Zion would rip Jay to shreds in terms of Jay trying to “stop him” one on one. It’s a little unfair to compare that. He moved to mostly off-ball scorer his junior year because Duhon came in so his junior year even aside from not hanging another banner was less impressive than his sophomore. But man that sophomore year, he really displayed explosive speed and scoring ability from anywhere.

Love Duhon... I've played golf with him and he is a SUPER good dude. I really loved jwill' game...Reddick could light it up from anywhere. Laettner was, well, spectacular. Grant is an absolute ambassador. But title game, last shot, who do you want all the marbles on......give me Zion in the paint all day long

I think if I needed a pure athletic finisher to win the game in the paint, Zion is a close 2nd choice........

Give me Brian Zoubek! :eek:

Lmao. I agree with you.

Reactions: DukefanKY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT