ADVERTISEMENT

Things I like and don't like about our team right now

HeLooks2MuchLikeDave

Cameron Crazy
Dec 1, 2010
Without discussing Zion, here is what I like and don't like about this team currently

Jack White. Aside from that bone-headed play, he's back to early season form. Shot 40% from 3 last night, with 10 boards, 2 blocks, and only that 1 TO. Made all his fts. He missed a couple bunnies but I like that he is rebounding like a man again.

Don't like
Playing Goldwire and Tre together. I think Goldy provides some good minutes, I really do. But he is absolutely useless on offense when Tre brings up the ball. He's not a threat to do anything. Let him spell Tre and bring up the ball and get our offense started and back off. Love him on D.

AOC's confidence. He's finally doing something with the ball besides shooting a 3 or quickly passing it to the point. As his confidence grows, the more we will see him use his quickness to get into the lane and use his touch around the rim to get some easier points. His shooting form looks GREAT too. Every 3 ball looks like its going in.

Don't like
Tre and RJ playing 40 minutes every game. Just give them a quick breather around a media timeout at some point in the 2nd half. That's all I ask.

Bench minutes. 8 guys played 13 or more minutes last night. I think all the bench players understand their roles pretty well, except for Joey. Which brings me to....

Don't like
Joey's situation. I don't care about the burned redshirt. But in his limited minutes so far, the game looks way too fast for him. Probably should have incorporated him early on in the season if we wanted to reap some benefits. (At the same time, going on a RS track might have helped him mentally so he didn't have to watch the 4 other guys from his class playing 35+ minutes a game and him being relegated to mop up duty)

Coach K's Army/Chicago background explains all of these things. There is some method to his madness, and sometimes we are left scratching our heads. For example, I think Coach sees Goldwire being able to hit open threes if Goldy starts to anticipate when he's going to be open a few seconds before the ball gets there, rather than being like, "Holy crap, I'm open?!" after he catches it.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
When looking back at that play I give RJ a lot of blame for that Jack play. RJ was so scared to get fouled and go to the free throw line that he was demanding Jack to give him the ball to take out. That’s not good. He has completely lost confidence in his free throw shooting. That’s actually what almost lost the game. He has to be better.

Without discussing Zion, here is what I like and don't like about this team currently

Jack White. Aside from that bone-headed play, he's back to early season form. Shot 40% from 3 last night, with 10 boards, 2 blocks, and only that 1 TO. Made all his fts. He missed a couple bunnies but I like that he is rebounding like a man again.

Don't like
Playing Goldwire and Tre together. I think Goldy provides some good minutes, I really do. But he is absolutely useless on offense when Tre brings up the ball. He's not a threat to do anything. Let him spell Tre and bring up the ball and get our offense started and back off. Love him on D.

AOC's confidence. He's finally doing something with the ball besides shooting a 3 or quickly passing it to the point. As his confidence grows, the more we will see him use his quickness to get into the lane and use his touch around the rim to get some easier points. His shooting form looks GREAT too. Every 3 ball looks like its going in.

Don't like
Tre and RJ playing 40 minutes every game. Just give them a quick breather around a media timeout at some point in the 2nd half. That's all I ask.

Bench minutes. 8 guys played 13 or more minutes last night. I think all the bench players understand their roles pretty well, except for Joey. Which brings me to....

Don't like
Joey's situation. I don't care about the burned redshirt. But in his limited minutes so far, the game looks way too fast for him. Probably should have incorporated him early on in the season if we wanted to reap some benefits. (At the same time, going on a RS track might have helped him mentally so he didn't have to watch the 4 other guys from his class playing 35+ minutes a game and him being relegated to mop up duty)

Dave -- there is a lot more here that I agree with then don't. Like the comments about the bench and the 40 minutes of play for RJ and Tre. The Baker thing is what it is. The times that I try and understand K's reasoning on some things I just have to remember that he's the coach. We ONLY get to see the team at game time and a few "candid" videos. I think there is a lot going on at the moment.

Would like to have the team just settle down and get a collective grip. I am actually upbeat going into the tournament.

Zion at the UNC game would be a gift, but if he's not there I want the team to play to play with joy.

Don't like

Don't like

Don't like

I hope you're right....that Jack is back. He still doesn't look like he's 'shooting' his jumper to me. But it does seem as though seeing a couple go in has really helped him stay more engaged in other facets of his game. That's what made more angry than anything else when he was missing shots....it broke down the rest of his game, too.

I can't recall a player who was less of a threat offensively than Jordan Goldwire, but he does make some things happen defensively....and I think it's partially because he and Tre play great 'team' defense together. I know, he doesn't really offer anything on offense, but he's provided this team multiple sparks over the last month.

Alex has continued to make great strides. I said the first half of the season I felt he was going to have one or two Andre Dawkins moments for this team. A month ago I had serious doubts. No longer. If he plays within himself he's incredibly valuable. Even when Zion returns, he's earned time going forward.

RJ and Tre playing 40 minutes isn't much of a concern for me. In addition, to your other point, I do like some of the established roles guys have carved out. There's a few players who I wished had come on more, but there's no sense in going into that. It's been covered by other posters enough.

Lastly, with regards to Joey, I don't know what to think, either. It's not really my concern, though.

Dave -- there is a lot more here that I agree with then don't. Like the comments about the bench and the 40 minutes of play for RJ and Tre. The Baker thing is what it is. The times that I try and understand K's reasoning on some things I just have to remember that he's the coach. We ONLY get to see the team at game time and a few "candid" videos. I think there is a lot going on at the moment.

Would like to have the team just settle down and get a collective grip. I am actually upbeat going into the tournament.

Zion at the UNC game would be a gift, but if he's not there I want the team to play to play with joy.
LT- agree. I am pretty upbeat going into the tournaments as well. The ACC will be a great tuneup for the big dance. I think Zion will return fresh and hungry and this team will have its identity back.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Lastly, with regards to Joey, I don't know what to think, either. It's not really my concern, though.

Same here. Not really concerned about this myself (but I wanted to have even number of likes and don't likes). Jack and AOC have much more to contribute to this team so I'd rather them get those minutes anyways. Joey's time will be next year

I still don't like that we're so reliant on two guys. Zion and R.J. are both the best college basketball players since Anthony Davis. But the talent discrepancy between them and the rest of our team grows more and more stark.

Reddish's raw talent isn't far behind but his staggering inconsistency means you have to group him with everyone else. And if I'm honest I just don't see a national championship from these guys.

I hope like hell I'm wrong and Zion comes back by the ACC Tournament and we become an absolute buzzsaw.

I kinda wish Bolden would get more minutes. I feel like he has made great progress and improvement. Jav works hard but is zero threat to score.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I kinda wish Bolden would get more minutes. I feel like he has made great progress and improvement. Jav works hard but is zero threat to score.
And he waits to shoot until he knows he’s gonna get fouled. If Javin doesn’t lead the nation in ft attempts per fg attempts, I’d be stunned. I bet he averages 1.5 free throws per field goal attempt

Like: other guys getting more minutes and seasoning. Wake may not have been pleasant, but it was game experience.
Dislike: No Zion. Cam's inconsistency, but I predict he has a big tournament.

Probably the best explanation for Goldwire’s offensive skills this year.

The kid airballed a layup. SMH
It has to just be nerves, right? There is no way he's that terrible on offense and made the roster of a school like Duke. Ri... Right?

Reactions: FearTheBeard
So, you don’t like our guys diving after loose balls?

#TeamYates

I missed a lot of the Wake game day thread. Did he complain about splitting defenders? After that scare with Tre during the Wake game, our guys really should stop splitting defenders.

Reactions: QC Dukie
My favorite thing about this team is their effort. They are all WINNERS and at the end of the day, they fight and claw to make it happen. A lot of inexcuseable performances have been excused by their ending effort to find a way to victory.

Dislike: Shooting (focus: Jack and Cam)
2qapagk.jpg

Look at the guide-hand thumb on the top row and bottom row.

I’ve played and watched an incredible amount of basketball. I’m not a coach and I have no reason to hold an entitled opinion but that guide-hand thumb is dangerous business. Jack and Cam are both consistently guilty of it. They’ll never be consistent shooters until it’s fixed. It adds unneeded variables into the shot. Spin, direction, power - it alters everything. There’s a lot of successful NBA players with unorthodox shot forms. There’s no such thing as perfect, you don’t fix what isn’t broken. But - when something is broken, you have to start the drawing board at fundamentals.

Both of these guys have sweet strokes designed for success that’s immediately gambled upon release by something fundamental.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT