ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds Like Baldwin Playing for His Dad at UWM

Not me Sky. I only want yo see one thread: Baldwin to Duke.
Don't get me wrong I want him at Duke but by nature I am not a patient man. Just want to know something. If he wants to play for his dad I think that's wonderful. If that's the case say so and we can move on. OFC

Last edited:
So I take it Baldwins announcement is pushed back?

Chet Holmgren had 20 points and 11 rebounds in the Iverson Classic. Banchero had 15. Griffin looks like he struggled; but he hasn't played in a while. I heard Keels looked good. (I didn't see the game) I don't believe Baldwin played.

Chet Holmgren had 20 points and 11 rebounds in the Iverson Classic. Banchero had 15. Griffin looks like he struggled; but he hasn't played in a while. I heard Keels looked good. (I didn't see the game) I don't believe Baldwin played.
From what I saw. Keels, Griffin and Paolo can get to the basket at will. Griffin banked in some three’s( saw it in the other thread). One thing is for sure . Duke should be attacking every chance they get from 1-4 and it will spread the floor open for three’s.

Reactions: christophero
If I were Pat Ewing at Georgetown, I would hire Mr. Baldwin, the father. I don't definitely know the rules. It appears that you can have three assistants with full coaching responsibilities. UNC has Pat Sullivan and Jackie Manuel " on staff " as assistants four and five. I don't know what they do. Larry Brown hired Ed Manning, Danny's father in the mid 80s, resulting in a championship

If I were Pat Ewing at Georgetown, I would hire Mr. Baldwin, the father. I don't definitely know the rules. It appears that you can have three assistants with full coaching responsibilities. UNC has Pat Sullivan and Jackie Manuel " on staff " as assistants four and five. I don't know what they do. Larry Brown hired Ed Manning, Danny's father in the mid 80s, resulting in a championship
I have a feeling this will happen at some school. Would gladly be wrong but I don't think the delay favors us.

Reactions: geddoughton23
If his dad is really on the ropes, the Baldwins would be a perfect package deal to get Shaka Smart's Marquette career at Marquette off to a great start

I usually frown on this but his dad is already a head coach so it's different.Still a little sketchy but legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Marquette and Georgetown are similar. Both run by the Jesuits Order of Catholic Church. Both have undergraduate enrollments of 8,000. Both are city schools and play in the Big East.

I would love to see some of these players up close. Baldwin looks pretty strong. He's listed at 6'8" and 190 pounds. My nephew is a string bean at 6'7" and 203 pounds.

Duke will be very good with or without Baldwin. It looks to me that you need another practice player. The addition of Bates Jones was good. I think you need another player who is happy to be on the team, and can give you a few minutes in case of injury

Not about hiring some kids dad just so we can rent his son for 6 mos. We’re above that. If we’re gonna make it back to the final four it won’t be because we got some OAD who’s auditioning for the wnba. It’ll be because we grew together as a group, played team basketball, and had a group of kids who want to be part of this program.

Last edited:
I still think he’s gathering info on the gleague IMO.he can go anywhere he wants so it’s only two things. Either he wants to go where his dad will be or he’s securing endorsement deals and a gleague contract.

Not about hiring some kids dad just so we can rent his son for 6 mos. We’re above that. If we’re gonna make it back to the final four it won’t be because we got some OAD who’s auditioning for the wnba. It’ll be because we grew together as a group, played team basketball, and had a group of kids who want to be part of this program.
It’s definitely not a good look but programs throughout college basketball hire assistant coaches every year because they have ties to a highly ranked player or two. It doesn’t get the publicity that a school like OSU got for hiring Cade Cunningham’s brother to get him to come there. And yes, they sent his brother packing a little over a week after the Final Four.

I still think he’s gathering info on the gleague IMO.he can go anywhere he wants so it’s only two things. Either he wants to go where his dad will be or he’s securing endorsement deals and a gleague contract.
Can’t just want to come play for Duke and other top players that’ll raise his game huh? As we just saw the g league is not getting a good rep. A kid just said he think he slid in draft because he went to the G League.

Not me Sky. I only want yo see one thread: Baldwin to Duke.
Amen brother all this negativity, this decision is serious, apparently very difficult. When the smoke clears “I only want to see one thread: Baldwin to Duke” . He is going to be a difference maker .

Can’t just want to come play for Duke and other top players that’ll raise his game huh? As we just saw the g league is not getting a good rep. A kid just said he think he slid in draft because he went to the G League.
G league may raise your skill level but there is no wAy that it will raise your profile like playing for a top tier college team.Zions endorsements deals are proof o of the pudding

I don’t see it effecting players from still going to the gleague as others are still doing it. I mean what did kids think. When you go to the gleague your playing against grown men not high schoolers who are trying to make a roster but it ain’t going to stop players from going . If he truly wanted Duke why hasn’t he committed? What’s holding him back?

G league may raise your skill level but there is no wAy that it will raise your profile like playing for a top tier college team.Zions endorsements deals are proof o of the pudding
The kid that decommitted from Cuse, not only is playing well for OKC but also walked away with an intern and million dollar deal from adidas.that’s before even playing in one gleague game. Not every kid is going to get the deals Zion got period. Right now Zion is the future of the league . There isn’t a player of his caliber in every draft.

The kid that decommitted from Cuse, not only is playing well for OKC but also walked away with an intern and million dollar deal from adidas.that’s before even playing in one gleague game. Not every kid is going to get the deals Zion got period. Right now Zion is the future of the league . There isn’t a player of his caliber in every draft.

What I don’t get about the top level players who go the G League route is the wasted year to really build up your reputation. It’s a year that you never get back when you’re playing in front of basically no one and there are no tv ratings for G League games. The guys who are going to excel in the G League will excel in college basketball.

If I’m choosing between two basketball prospects who are similar in talent, I’m going to give the guy who has a built in fanbase from playing a year in college the shoe or clothing contract.

I have always wondered about the NBA logic of pissing away the free marketing that NCAA hoops provides. It's not like they are gonna lose kids to an alternate league.
I say they should be allowed to draft anyone over 18 but let them play college ball. Then, do it like baseball, but get rid of amateur rule for college. Allow them a signing bonus and then sign them to a pro or minor league contract. Or, allow signing bonuses, but no formal NBA contract until they declare for the league. I think colleges and NBA would benefit.
Only thing to work out is if there is a minimum # years they have to stay in college, if any, when they commit to college team.

What I don’t get about the top level players who go the G League route is the wasted year to really build up your reputation. It’s a year that you never get back when you’re playing in front of basically no one and there are no tv ratings for G League games. The guys who are going to excel in the G League will excel in college basketball.

If I’m choosing between two basketball prospects who are similar in talent, I’m going to give the guy who has a built in fanbase from playing a year in college the shoe or clothing contract.
Well that’s an argument. Are people watching one player or an entire team? Most gleague games that the gleague ignite ( which most high schoolers play on ) was televised. The only thing about the gleague is it is a path for those who don’t care for college and believe they are ready for the league. Does is show the high school players flaws? Sure does. Will they slide in the draft? Yep. Reason being because they are playing against two way contract players, players simply drafted and placed there for playing time or players trying to make it onto a rosters during have been there for multiple years.
OAD players slide the same way in college when they can’t adapt to the physicality and speed of the game.

Reactions: Devilinside
Apparently he is going to UW-M.

I understand that. Lots of good players have gone to play for their dads.

At the same time, this is part of the changing landscape of college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT