ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds Like Baldwin Playing for His Dad at UWM

bmbritt

Cameron Crazy
Feb 5, 2003
Has lost some steam. Down to a 3 team race with no clear leader between Duke, Georgetown, and UWM. We may actually pull this one off.

Has lost some steam. Down to a 3 team race with no clear leader between Duke, Georgetown, and UWM. We may actually pull this one off.
There was some chatter about Georgetown being the dark horse. Don’t look past them .

Reactions: BTMGarnet
Losing Hurt helps us, and Theo is more of a PF/C. With the Theo pickup he's less of a need as we're pretty set, and I'm not sure we want to get even younger. (I still would take him he's really good) But if we add the freshman PG and no one else leaves I like our team.

Reactions: df64
Baldwin would have helped our 3pt shooting which already looks like it will be an issue next year... again

Would love to have him but playing for his dad may mean a lot more to him than playing for a natty. He's only going to play a year anyway. OFC

Would love to have him but playing for his dad may mean a lot more to him than playing for a natty. He's only going to play a year anyway. OFC
That’s if he just doesn’t opt for the gleague.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
If Baldwin did decide to sign with Duke do you think AJG would start at SG?

Is there a relevant article or are you picking up some chatter here and there?

Regardless, thanks for the update!
Here is the quote on Baldwin :

Patrick Baldwin Jr.'s situation, on the other hand, is a bit more complicated. Not long ago, the prevailing thought was the No. 4 prospect in the 2021 class would land in the Summit League and play for his father at Milwaukee. These days, both Duke and Georgetown are in the thick of the race and things seem less a tad certain than they once did. Baldwin has announced no timetable for a decision, but whenever it comes expect the Blue Devils, Panthers or Hoyas to be the beneficiary.

Someone probably leaves if we get Baldwin. Is he a difference maker? Is he soft? I honestly haven't seen him play.

FWIW (not much) someone on Rupp Rafters heard a rumor that Baldwin has already silently committed to us, but is keeping it quiet to help with his dad's recruiting. Just a rumor, but possible. who knows, but it is strange he is taking so long.

Reactions: geddoughton23
FWIW someone on Rupp Rafters heard a rumor that Baldwin has already silently committed to us, but is keeping it quiet to help with his dad's recruiting. Just a rumor, but possible. who knows, but it is strange he is taking so long.
If Baldwin comes, Coleman is gone and Duke ends up with a sweet 16 loss to a more experienced team( think Zion and RJ) and the bench is cleared for 2022.

Yeah I'm thinking we should get that high school point guard and be done with it.
I’m not trying to be a downer just a realist. There isn’t but one ball on the court. I get that Paolo and the rest want star players around them and K is going for six but come on. Who’s going to be left to build around?

I’m not trying to be a downer just a realist. There isn’t but one ball on the court. I get that Paolo and the rest want star players around them and K is going for six but come on. Who’s going to be left to build around?
Well that’s a different convo. Around to build vs next year not getting passed the S16.

Well that’s a different convo. Around to build vs next year not getting passed the S16.
Yes that I do. I think should Duke land Baldwin the are putting their dice into one run hoping it works out. I also see only two returning players to build off of and any one who thinks other wise is keeping their glasses on. I mean are you going to play Paolo, Baldwin, Griffin, Keels and Roach? So it doesn’t matter what Williams did to progress and upper class men don’t mean a thing . This isn’t the NBA. But maybe the rumblings about Griffin Interested in the gleague are right.
For the record I think he shocks everyone and heads to Georgetown.

Yes that I do. I think should Duke land Baldwin the are putting their dice into one run hoping it works out. I also see only two returning players to build off of and any one who thinks other wise is keeping their glasses on. I mean are you going to play Paolo, Baldwin, Griffin, Keels and Roach? So it doesn’t matter what Williams did to progress and upper class men don’t mean a thing . This isn’t the NBA. But maybe the rumblings about Griffin Interested in the gleague are right.
For the record I think he shocks everyone and heads to Georgetown.
I totally get what you’re saying.

IMO here. Here’s how i look at it- next year let’s go for broke. The ‘22 class is a rebuild regardless. Yes it would be great to keep Coleman, which i think happens either way, but he’s a role player, no matter what the roster Looks like next year or the two Years after. That’s what he is- and there’s nothing wrong with that. He can contribute in all three years. But if it’s him leaving in order to get Baldwin? I take that trade all day.

For next year, let’s say Baldwin shocks us and commits, which doesn’t sound likely, as you know.

Roach
Baldwin
AJ
Paolo
Williams

That would be my starting 5. With Moore, Keels, Brake and John baking up. Baker if he’s hot.

Reactions: Quavarius

IMO here. Here’s how i look at it- next year let’s go for broke. The ‘22 class is a rebuild regardless. Yes it would be great to keep Coleman, which i think happens either way, but he’s a role player, no matter what the roster Looks like next year or the two Years after. That’s what he is- and there’s nothing wrong with that. He can contribute in all three years. But if it’s him leaving in order to get Baldwin? I take that trade all day.

For next year, let’s say Baldwin shocks us and commits, which doesn’t sound likely, as you know.

Roach
Baldwin
AJ
Paolo
Williams

That would be my starting 5. With Moore, Keels, Brake and John baking up. Baker if he’s hot.
I agree with your staring line up. Would you really put Baldwin at the 2 over Griffin? You have to admit if we get out rebounded something is wrong. I’d switch the two for Baldwin’s shooting and opening up lanes. I’m not against getting Baldwin. Understand Coleman is a role player. But can we please have more then two returning players.

I think Baldwin goes to Georgetown.

I agree with your staring line up. Would you really put Baldwin at the 2 over Griffin? You have to admit if we get out rebounded something is wrong. I’d switch the two for Baldwin’s shooting and opening up lanes. I’m not against getting Baldwin. Understand Coleman is a role player. But can we please have more then two returning players.
I still think he plays for his dad, personally. And as far as the 2 or 3, basically interchangeable, but Baldwin is an excellent shooter. AJ is more physical. Not that it matters.

Again, I’d say go for broke. To me this is K’s last season. Let’s let it all out.
I think Baldwin goes to Georgetown.

Reactions: sheyduke
Next year and Zions year are not great comparisons unless we get whacked with injuries. Ist off, we will be a ton better at the 5. Defensively and offensively. A ton. Zion's team with Mark and Theo win the championship with 99 like dominance. 2nd, 18-19 lacked perimeter shooting. Look what we did to UK when we started off hot from 3. Look at the comeback against at the Cards when Cam hit 3s. Baldwin, Paolo, and Keels make next year's team way better from 3 and much more balanced. Again, if we had consistent perimeter shooting in 18-19 and any semblance of balance on offense, we win the title and totally dominate.

Reactions: bullettoothtony

Roach
Baldwin
AJ
Paolo
Williams

Brake, as in Brakefield? The one who transferred?

• Haha
Reactions: christophero
The only way I want Baldwin is if Griffin goes to the G League. Otherwise we're too young. I mean if Baldwin comes there's only so many basketballs to go around. we could lose Moore if Baldwin comes. Right now I like 2 freshman starters, with Keels as our guard off the bench. Moore at the 2. If Baldwin came we'd have to start 3 freshman. Maybe I'm way off on how good Baldwin is; but I'm guessing he's a poor defender. I realize he is a good shooter. It depends on how badly we need shooting. If Keels is good to go we're set. I see Baldwin as a Cam type guy who will be up and down. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
Here is the quote on Baldwin :

Patrick Baldwin Jr.'s situation, on the other hand, is a bit more complicated. Not long ago, the prevailing thought was the No. 4 prospect in the 2021 class would land in the Summit League and play for his father at Milwaukee. These days, both Duke and Georgetown are in the thick of the race and things seem less a tad certain than they once did. Baldwin has announced no timetable for a decision, but whenever it comes expect the Blue Devils, Panthers or Hoyas to be the beneficiary.

Thanks britt.

Interesting discussion... I still want Baldwin given his main skill has been a weakness in recent seasons. But with what we have i won't be devastated if he goes elsewhere.

Kind of a weird situation. We saw what happened when we had no shooters with zion and rj. Everyone just packed it in against us and just dared us to shoot. That isnt a recipe for a championship. However...starting all those frosh does not seem wise either. Honestly if i felt better about griffin/moore as a shooters i would roll with what we got

Reactions: jeffrey236
People are really saying they wouldn’t want a top 5 player because they are scared that a non starter will transfer 😂😂😂
No I’m saying it because there is only one ball on the court and which five star is going to be happy coming off the bench.
Do you play small should Duke get Baldwin? Moving Williams to the bench?
Baldwin, Griffin, Paolo are not coming off any bench . Like stayed Roach is the starting pg and Keels committed imo thinking the Sg spot was his so basically your rolling out four freshman and a sophomore who we all hope improves.
Coleman staying and Blake gives Duke something to build off of . Duke wins number six and I think you see Roach leave to because to get to six he will have improved by leaps and bounds.

My question is one more five star gonna help you get number six in the hopes of only one player returning in 2022.

No I’m saying it because there is only one ball on the court and which five star is going to be happy coming off the bench.
Do you play small should Duke get Baldwin? Moving Williams to the bench?
Baldwin, Griffin, Paolo are not coming off any bench . Like stayed Roach is the starting pg and Keels committed imo thinking the Sg spot was his so basically your rolling out four freshman and a sophomore who we all hope improves.
Coleman staying and Blake gives Duke something to build off of . Duke wins number six and I think you see Roach leave to because to get to six he will have improved by leaps and bounds.

My question is one more five star gonna help you get number six in the hopes of only one player returning in 2022.
I don’t think Keels is a guaranteed starter. I’m not sure he starts even without getting Baldwin. Roach, Moore, Griffin, Banchero, Williams with Keels first off the bench would be my guess. If we get Baldwin, Moore or Roach probably come off the bench.

I just don't want to get any younger. We are already young. Theo John was the right move. Baldwin will move Moore to the bench. You need balance. Johnson was a top 10ish guy who made us worse. To me it's not just about stockpiling young talent. Which we already have btw. And if Baldwin causes guys to leave then I don't like it.

Reactions: jnastasi
Forget what half of y’all are talking. Get the most talent you can get. Just have to put the correct system in place to make them successful. That being young stuff doesn’t matter if they have the talent and being put in the correct system. Paolo is a dog in skill and mentality. We will have the most size of almost anyone. Come on down Baldwin. 2022 is a complete rebuild anyway. K will most likely retire so we have to start from scratch. Coleman and Baker will not be star players for us ever. They’re role players that can be replaced. If I were Coleman I would take this as a redshirt year and be an energy guy off the bench in 2022

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT