ADVERTISEMENT

OT Mike Irby Needs Your Prayers, and Help

^He's 70, Sky. Yeah, he gets his blood 'pulled' every couple of months...and there's been a few times where he's had to have phlebotomy done several months in a row. He seems to do pretty well with it considering this has been going on since he was around 50 years old.
Unfortunately this is not the worst of his health problems. He's been diagnosed with congestive heart failure in the last 6 months (wonder if all that 'thick' blood could have contributed to it?). And he has COPD also. I worry about him a lot. You would think he would be down about all of it, but he's a happy go lucky guy (always has been) and doesn't worry about much of anything.

OFC

Gottago & Sky, sorry to hear of your illnesses. My hat is off to you both for posting about it, and I want you to know that I wish you the very best and hope that I have not offended either of you in any of my posts. God Bless you both and I will keep you in my prayers! May your pleasures be many and your troubles be few.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

OldasdirtDevil ...

Try signing into THI again because my panel shows you as good to go. Maybe it was just a system glitch...I've tried to post before and it has popped up that I'm blacklisted. Anyway, IF you ever decide to post there again you should be able to.

Originally posted by JCColsCane:

Gottago & Sky, sorry to hear of your illnesses. My hat is off to you both for posting about it, and I want you to know that I wish you the very best and hope that I have not offended either of you in any of my posts. God Bless you both and I will keep you in my prayers! May your pleasures be many and your troubles be few.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC
JC you've never offended me. I love you brother. OFC

Originally posted by OldasdirtDevil:
^He's 70, Sky. Yeah, he gets his blood 'pulled' every couple of months...and there's been a few times where he's had to have phlebotomy done several months in a row. He seems to do pretty well with it considering this has been going on since he was around 50 years old.
Unfortunately this is not the worst of his health problems. He's been diagnosed with congestive heart failure in the last 6 months (wonder if all that 'thick' blood could have contributed to it?). And he has COPD also. I worry about him a lot. You would think he would be down about all of it, but he's a happy go lucky guy (always has been) and doesn't worry about much of anything.

OFC
Here's the deal with me dirt. From what I know the most common causes of polycy is heavy smoking which I have never smoked one cigarette in my life and heredity which I know of no family ever having it. I do have sleep apnea which I use a c-pap for and before anti-smoking laws were passed for restaurants , work places and other public institutions I was expossed to second hand smoke. I worked retail for years and the smoke always made it hard for me to breath. Even now if I'm in an outside setting and someone lights up I find it difficult to breath and have to get away. It is what it is and I still feel blessed for the treatment that keeps it in check. Any I'm beginning to take away from the purpose of this thread but I've found it's been good therapy for me in the fact that I've found another person that has polycy and how it affects his life. OFC

Originally posted by heelbent:

OldasdirtDevil ...

Try signing into THI again because my panel shows you as good to go. Maybe it was just a system glitch...I've tried to post before and it has popped up that I'm blacklisted. Anyway, IF you ever decide to post there again you should be able to.
Thanks, Heelbent, for letting me know. When I tried before it brought up a screen listing all the possible ways you could have been banned. I never thought about trying it again, so it may well have been a glitch. I wasn't mad about it, cause I know that I can be pretty hard on the Heels sometimes. I probably won't post over there much, but I would never post anything inappropriate at your board. And not because of fear of being banned, but out of respect for your program and fans. No sense in anyone trolling a rivals board. We all get caught up in the rivalry sometimes, and can get emotional, but at least keep your partisanship at your home board.

Anyway, I'm going to try post in one of Mike's threads. Again, thanks for taking the time to let me know about my status.

Originally posted by JCColsCane:

Go Duke!!

JC-OFC
JC you have never offended me at all and I think you are one of the best guys out there, you certainly seem to be one of the nicest and most mature.

ofc

OldasdirtDevil ...

Thanks, Heelbent, for letting me know. When I tried before it brought up a screen listing all the possible ways you could have been banned. I never thought about trying it again, so it may well have been a glitch. I wasn't mad about it, cause I know that I can be pretty hard on the Heels sometimes. I probably won't post over there much, but I would never post anything inappropriate at your board. And not because of fear of being banned, but out of respect for your program and fans. No sense in anyone trolling a rivals board. We all get caught up in the rivalry sometimes, and can get emotional, but at least keep your partisanship at your home board.

Anyway, I'm going to try post in one of Mike's threads. Again, thanks for taking the time to let me know about my status.
Heelbent, I tried to reply to Mike's 'pinned' thread, and I got the blacklisted screen again (I took a pic of it). I tried 4 or 5 times, and tried other threads also, but I still couldn't post. So, I don't know what it is. I wasn't really going to say anything new, but I just wanted to post in Mike's thread as a matter of respect to him...at his home board. Anyway, it's not a huge deal, and I still appreciate your effort.

OFC

Blacklisted%20THR.jpg

Well...dang. OK, I went to the admin controls and sure enough it had you as banned this time. I cancelled the blacklist and closed the page, then opened it again. Still had you as banned. Repeated the process and it cleared the banning. Opened the page yet again and it seems to have worked. I apologize for all the inconvenience but I think I've finally gotten it. I hope so anyway. Going to check it again just to be certain. Please let me know if it didn't take. Your own mods will tell you how finicky Rivals' software can be.

Don't know you at all, but absolutely wish you the best and hope you defeat this awful disease. Best of luck to you buddy!

Well...dang. OK, I went to the admin controls and sure enough it had you as banned this time. I cancelled the blacklist and closed the page, then opened it again. Still had you as banned. Repeated the process and it cleared the banning. Opened the page yet again and it seems to have worked. I apologize for all the inconvenience but I think I've finally gotten it. I hope so anyway. Going to check it again just to be certain. Please let me know if it didn't take. Your own mods will tell you how finicky Rivals' software can be.
It worked, Heelbent! I appreciate your efforts to allow me to post in Mike's thread on THR. Thank you, sir.

OFC

Originally posted by gottagonow:
I have written this post with hopes that everyone will better understand Mikes cancer and journey forward.

Mike and I have had the opportunity to communicate outside of THR and our DI forum. As I am not a dynamic poster very few of you might remember that I too have the big C and ironically the same cancer as Mike. We also have the same Oncologist at Duke Cancer Center. The name of the disease is Myelodysplastic Syndrome or MDS for short. Basically it is a blood and bone marrow cancer where the marrow does not produce red blood cells that are capable of maturing. Typically, the longer one has the disease the more the cancer advances. Mike's is more advanced that mine as he has had it three times as long as I have and he probably has a different kind of MDS as there are several variances. Mike is looking at a possible bone marrow transplant to save his life that will require 3 months in Duke Hospital or as an outpatient living in a Duke monitored apartment for three months that has a sterile environment and thus the high cost. All of this is dependent on Mike finding a donor who has the same bone marrow match, usually a sibling.

Mike and I have emailed back and forth and believe me he faces astronomical expenses as he goes forward, expenses that insurance will not cover. He will need financial help and I hope we all assist him when and where possible with prayer and funds. Like JCCole, Dirt, Sky, Show and others have said, this puts things in a different perspective than the simple game of basketball which really doesn't mean much considering our life on this earth.

Mike should you read this you should know that everyone will pray for you and help when and where they can.

ofc

This post was edited on 2/24 9:43 PM by gottagonow
You are SPECIAL PEOPLE gottagonow. Thank you so much for the encouragement and prayers, you have mine as well.

Many Thanks to you all. Sky, got you on my prayer list as well.

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
Originally posted by gottagonow:
I have written this post with hopes that everyone will better understand Mikes cancer and journey forward.

Mike and I have had the opportunity to communicate outside of THR and our DI forum. As I am not a dynamic poster very few of you might remember that I too have the big C and ironically the same cancer as Mike. We also have the same Oncologist at Duke Cancer Center. The name of the disease is Myelodysplastic Syndrome or MDS for short. Basically it is a blood and bone marrow cancer where the marrow does not produce red blood cells that are capable of maturing. Typically, the longer one has the disease the more the cancer advances. Mike's is more advanced that mine as he has had it three times as long as I have and he probably has a different kind of MDS as there are several variances. Mike is looking at a possible bone marrow transplant to save his life that will require 3 months in Duke Hospital or as an outpatient living in a Duke monitored apartment for three months that has a sterile environment and thus the high cost. All of this is dependent on Mike finding a donor who has the same bone marrow match, usually a sibling.

Mike and I have emailed back and forth and believe me he faces astronomical expenses as he goes forward, expenses that insurance will not cover. He will need financial help and I hope we all assist him when and where possible with prayer and funds. Like JCCole, Dirt, Sky, Show and others have said, this puts things in a different perspective than the simple game of basketball which really doesn't mean much considering our life on this earth.

Mike should you read this you should know that everyone will pray for you and help when and where they can.

ofc

This post was edited on 2/24 9:43 PM by gottagonow
You are SPECIAL PEOPLE gottagonow. Thank you so much for the encouragement and prayers, you have mine as well.

Many Thanks to you all. Sky, got you on my prayer list as well.
Back at you. OFC

OFC
OAD, as I read through these posts, somehow I missed your post on your brothers illness. My apologies my friend, and I am very sorry to here of his problems.
I wish him the very best and know that you are being strong for him. How could he not be a happy go lucky guy, with a brother like you. All we can do is think "happy thoughts" as we struggle through this thing called life. Please let him know that one of your "Duke buddies" sends his best!
Take care ole' buddy and God Bless!

JC-OFC

Not to get off topic here, but , just to clear something up. I am speaking entirely about me , not the group. I don't know anybody from THR. I only know their posting style and comments. When I say, "that guys an ass" I'm speaking wholly about his character or identity from that board. I will never base a TRUE opinion of a man until I've met him face to face. In real life , I tend to be a tell it like it is fella. I'm old fashioned, right is right , wrong is wrong. I was raised with real values, I don't steal, I respect my elders, I love my country and respect all who have served. I'm faithful to my wife. I help everyone I can. I'm a big fella, can get a little loud at times and maybe that comes out here at the board. There are several at THIS board who have met me and have been to my home. I kinda post at this board as a defender of the Duke Way. And I'm sure all the THR posters hate my guts. Just like I've disliked many over there. But as somebody mentioned, if we all got together, I'm 99% sure we'd all be surprised at the man behind the keyboard. I hate cancer, and I hate Mike has it. And truly, from the bottom of my heart buddy, I hope you beat it and have a great life. I will gladly donate and help out as well. Best of luck.

Originally posted by Showenuff:
Not to get off topic here, but , just to clear something up. I am speaking entirely about me , not the group. I don't know anybody from THR. I only know their posting style and comments. When I say, "that guys an ass" I'm speaking wholly about his character or identity from that board. I will never base a TRUE opinion of a man until I've met him face to face. In real life , I tend to be a tell it like it is fella. I'm old fashioned, right is right , wrong is wrong. I was raised with real values, I don't steal, I respect my elders, I love my country and respect all who have served. I'm faithful to my wife. I help everyone I can. I'm a big fella, can get a little loud at times and maybe that comes out here at the board. There are several at THIS board who have met me and have been to my home. I kinda post at this board as a defender of the Duke Way. And I'm sure all the THR posters hate my guts. Just like I've disliked many over there. But as somebody mentioned, if we all got together, I'm 99% sure we'd all be surprised at the man behind the keyboard. I hate cancer, and I hate Mike has it. And truly, from the bottom of my heart buddy, I hope you beat it and have a great life. I will gladly donate and help out as well. Best of luck.
Truly one of the best posts I have ever seen on this board. Your ways are the ways of a good portion of the folks on here. Maybe some are not as vocal, but most, if not all, have the great core values you spoke of. I would like to meet you one day, show, and shake your hand. I am proud to call you a friend, even if it is just on this Duke board. OFC

Originally posted by Heyman25:
Originally posted by Showenuff:
Truly one of the best posts I have ever seen on this board. Your ways are the ways of a good portion of the folks on here. Maybe some are not as vocal, but most, if not all, have the great core values you spoke of. I would like to meet you one day, show, and shake your hand. I am proud to call you a friend, even if it is just on this Duke board. OFC
Amen. OFC

OAD, email me how and where you sent your donation buddy.

You got mail, Show.

@JCC, thanks for the concern for my brother. I'll let him know you're thinking about him.

@Sky, my brother also has sleep apnea, and he has a CPAP machine, but unfortunately he doesn't use it. He says he couldn't ever get comfortable wearing it.

My wife also has sleep apnea. She not only has obstructive, but also 'Central' sleep apnea, which is caused by improper signals from the brain (that came from when she had the stroke). She was also on the thin side before the stroke, but has picked up some weight since then...because she is not very active anymore. She uses her CPAP machine without fail, and it has helped her quite a bit.

OFC
This post was edited on 2/28 1:00 PM by OldasdirtDevil

You got mail, Show.

@JCC, thanks for the concern for my brother. I'll let him know you're thinking about him.

@Sky, my brother also has sleep apnea, and he has a CPAP machine, but unfortunately he doesn't use it. He says he couldn't ever get comfortable wearing it.

My wife also has sleep apnea. She not only has obstructive, but also 'Central' sleep apnea, which is caused by improper signals from the brain (that came from when she had the stroke). She was also on the thin side before the stroke, but has picked up some weight since then...because she is not very active anymore. She uses her CPAP machine without fail, and it has helped her quite a bit.

OFC
This post was edited on 2/28 1:00 PM by OldasdirtDevil
My CPAP has helped me a lot. There are mask that are very comfortable. The one I use really is just a nose piece. I urge your brother to investigate. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT