ADVERTISEMENT

OT Mike Irby Needs Your Prayers, and Help

OldasdirtDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 16, 2009
I tried to do something that I though I would never do...post on THR. Unfortunately I wasn't able to because I'm banned, even though I've never tried to post there before. Of course, considering my poking fun photoshops, it's not surprising. But some things are more important than a rivalry...a lot more. So don't let the rivalry stand in your way of any help you're able to give. Mike is battling cancer (and has been for awhile), and he needs a little help. Mike is a Christian, and prayers are therefore welcome. I believe in the power of prayer, and I know many on here do also. And if anyone is able to help by donating some dollars that would definitely be great. But even if you're not able to help financially, I know Mike and his family would appreciate the prayers. So, send them flyin'!

Mike, you and your family are in my prayers and thoughts. God bless you, and I pray that you will get the help you need, physically, emotionally, and financially. I plan to donate also when I figure out the best way for me to do that. I'll either send a check, or use PayPal (I see you just added that, and that's what I'll probably use).

I'm pasting Mike's original post, and the address to send donations (or use PayPal). Also Mike, there are 'fundraising' type sites online that will allow you to get your message out to many more people. They do charge a fee, but you can get these things plastered all over social media...Facebook, etc. Just a thought...and I have nothing to do with any of them. I'm listing one of them in the link, but there are others. This may allow you to reach far more people.

Mike's Original Post:

And the
battle rages on…………………………..

As most of
you know I've battled Cancer/MDS for the past 7+ years. I've been on different
drugs-chemo for the past 5 years. Each has worked for 2 years or so then it
quits. I'm starting a new one Monday which at this time looks like the last one
that will help me. Had to have a dual
port put in today for it. We went and talked to the Bone Marrow Replacement
team Thursday, Fran, my Sister Donna and me. Donna, we are hoping will be a
match. She was tested Thursday and we should know in about three weeks. When we
end up going the transplant route Fran and I are going to need some help. Along
with your prayers we dearly covet we will also need finical help! We found out
after the transplant I will have to stay in Durham for about 90 days. Have to
go to the Bone Marrow Clinic daily and be closely monitored. It has come down
to having this done or my time on this old Earth is coming to a close. But I do
know, If I go or if I stay, I'm a WINNER either way! My Lord and savior Jesus
Christ has promised me a place with him and that's good enough for me.
Naturally I'd love to stick around here a while longer and pester Fran and
David and Sandy and all the grandkids. But that won't happen without the
transplant. That's where y'all come in. They are going to set up an account to
help pay the bills, I'll get back with you later on that but the Apartment they
want me to stay in is $2800 a month and my insurance pays ZERO of that. Did I
mention I NEED HELP! $2800 X 3
months=$8400! Once the account is set up, as you can see every penny will
help! More to come later, not big on
airing my health issues to everyone but I'm learning, we ain't on no island
down here. God speed to all and keep
those Prayers coming!
OK everyone who has ask, here is the set up for my Bone Marrow Transplant Fund. God bless you all and keep those prayers coming! .........................................
MIKE IRBY BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT FUND
%BB&T
PO BOX 960
DENTON, NC 27239

OR PAY PAL if you prefer mikeirbyusa@aol.com

You can do a "Bill Pay" to it or simply send a check. Tried to find a good way to do it on-line but nothing worked like we wanted it to.
God Speed to you all.

Giveforward Fundraising

Mike, I sent you a donation via PayPal. It should show up shortly in your account. God bless, and good luck.

OFC

So sorry to hear this. Had no idea . I know Mike is a Christian and like Dirt said it does go beyond being a Tar Heel or a Duke fan. This is a terrible disease and any of us could find out tomorrow that it has challenged us. There is probably not of us that has not lost a loved one to cancer. I don't know if I can post there or not. I will try. Regardless my prayers go out to him and his family and pray that he is cured. I'm not allowed to post at THR either and that's ok. I understand. I hope a THR poster see's this and has Mike see's it also. Despite our differences we see in the school we support he is still my brother. My Heavenly Father bless this man and his family and wrap his loving arms around them during this difficult time. OFC

This post was edited on 2/23 10:04 PM by skysdad

Thoughts and prayers go out. My mother is a cancer survivor. I was 9 when she was diagnosed with a malignant tumor. Surgery and treatment helped her beat it, but I know what it can do to a family. Best of luck to him.

Cancer is a serious enemy for my family, prayers sent your way Mike, hang in there brother.

MikeIrby that is a mod at THR and has attacked numerous opposing fans over at their board? I know it's only a board, but I've seen him say a few very inappropriate things. Regardless, if it is the same guy, I pray that he gets successful treatment. I work with cancer nearly every day so I know its brutality and its ability to challenge even the strongest of people. I also pray for any of you and your families battling cancer....

This post was edited on 2/24 5:17 AM by Crank_it_loud

Almost all on this board and the UNC board have been touched by cancer. I do not wish it's pain and suffering on anyone. My mother lost her battle to lung cancer, and it was horrible to watch. Hoping all works out for Mike. OFC

Originally posted by Crank_it_loud:
MikeIrby that is a mod at THR and has attacked numerous opposing fans over at their board? I know it's only a board, but I've seen him say a few very inappropriate things. Regardless, if it is the same guy, I pray that he gets successful treatment. I work with cancer nearly every day so I know its brutality and its ability to challenge even the strongest of people. I also pray for any of you and your families battling cancer....

This post was edited on 2/24 5:17 AM by Crank_it_loud
C'mon everyone has said inappropriate things. This thread isn't about judgment, its about praying for someone who is very ill. May the Lord be with you and your family MikeIrby.

nm

This post was edited on 2/24 9:01 AM by dukiejay

This post was edited on 2/24 9:18 AM by Crank_it_loud

Many Thanks to all! Yes, I can be ruff on opposing fans. But "inapproprite" is not my goal. If that has been the case with any of you I sincerely ask for forgivness and anyone who thinks you were banned for no reason shoot me an e-mail mikeirbyusa@aol.com.

You guys pull for Duke, I pull for UNC, that's fun and games, this ain't.

Have a GREAT friend who is a Duke fan, he and his wife have volunteered to be tested if my sister is not a match, imagine that, me with Duke blood!

There isn't enough words to express how bad cancer is. My Dad was the biggest UNC homer you'll ever meet. He was rubbing DES and UNC in my face since I was a child. I became a Duke fan b/c my older brother was.

With that being said my father was taken 7yrs ago and way to early in life by acute leukemia. He was the best man I ever knew.

Caring for life goes way beyond any rivalry or petty differences. Mike my thoughts and prayers are with you my friend!!

This post was edited on 2/24 10:34 AM by Another#1Dukie

Mike, no worries, I am praying for you. As I stated previously, I work in Oncology daily so I have an understanding what you're dealing with. I will make a contribution to your page - it doesn't seem to let me see it via phone. Anyone else have that issue?

This post was edited on 2/24 9:30 AM by Crank_it_loud

Originally posted by Crank_it_loud:
Another1 great post, and I'm sorry for your loss.....
+1! Very sorry for your loss.

Crank, where do you work?

hate to hear this about Mike. prayers and best wishes sent. This is a terrible disease. Good luck and God bless Mike

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
Many Thanks to all! Yes, I can be ruff on opposing fans. But "inapproprite" is not my goal. If that has been the case with any of you I sincerely ask for forgivness and anyone who thinks you were banned for no reason shoot me an e-mail mikeirbyusa@aol.com.

Have a GREAT friend who is a Duke fan, he and his wife have volunteered to be tested if my sister is not a match, imagine that, me with Duke blood!
No need to ask for forgiveness. I'm sorry to hear about your battle as I think cancer has touched everyone in one form or another. Prayers to you and your family!

Mike hang in there boss, you may bleed a light shade of blue, but we're all standing in your corner.

Cancer is truly the worst.

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:

Glad to see you got to read this thread Mike. It gives me faith that we really do care about our fellow man. Once again I look forward to your full recovery and your thread on this board informing us that you have defeated this disease and are cancer free. OFC

Cancer took my father two and a half years ago. It was a horrible thing to witness and my heart goes out to those of you that have suffered similar loss. I share your scars...

Thanks for your kind words of understanding and encouragement for my friend, and most of all thank you for your prayers on his behalf. I wish you all knew him better...Mikey truly is one of the good guys and anything you do will be greatly appreciated.

Much respect, folks.----Jim

Originally posted by heelbent:
Cancer took my father two and a half years ago. It was a horrible thing to witness and my heart goes out to those of you that have suffered similar loss. I share your scars...

Thanks for your kind words of understanding and encouragement for my friend, and most of all thank you for your prayers on his behalf. I wish you all knew him better...Mikey truly is one of the good guys and anything you do will be greatly appreciated.

Much respect, folks.----Jim
Thank you and perhaps we all need to know each other better. I imagine there would be several truly good guys especially the guy that started this thread. OFC

This post was edited on 2/24 8:16 PM by skysdad

Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it. We all come on here to have fun, chat with and at each other, with some chats not so pleasant, and some feelings hurt. Get that, some feelings hurt, but what are a few hurt feelings in the big scheme of things! When something like this happens, not much else seems to matter like it did a minute ago, does it. When someone you know is touched by something as terrible as this (or any disease for that matter), all the humor and discontent seems to just "go away".
Mike, I do not know you, but my heart goes out to you and your family, and all I can offer is "God Bless You" and wish you the best.

JC-OFC

Originally posted by JCColsCane:

Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it. We all come on here to have fun, chat with and at each other, with some chats not so pleasant, and some feelings hurt. Get that, some feelings hurt, but what are a few hurt feelings in the big scheme of things! When something like this happens, not much else seems to matter like it did a minute ago, does it. When someone you know is touched by something as terrible as this (or any disease for that matter), all the humor and discontent seems to just "go away".
Mike, I do not know you, but my heart goes out to you and your family, and all I can offer is "God Bless You" and wish you the best.

JC-OFC
Absolutely, JCC. Life is precious, fun and games is gravy.

OFC

I have written this post with hopes that everyone will better understand Mikes cancer and journey forward.

Mike and I have had the opportunity to communicate outside of THR and our DI forum. As I am not a dynamic poster very few of you might remember that I too have the big C and ironically the same cancer as Mike. We also have the same Oncologist at Duke Cancer Center. The name of the disease is Myelodysplastic Syndrome or MDS for short. Basically it is a blood and bone marrow cancer where the marrow does not produce red blood cells that are capable of maturing. Typically, the longer one has the disease the more the cancer advances. Mike's is more advanced that mine as he has had it three times as long as I have and he probably has a different kind of MDS as there are several variances. Mike is looking at a possible bone marrow transplant to save his life that will require 3 months in Duke Hospital or as an outpatient living in a Duke monitored apartment for three months that has a sterile environment and thus the high cost. All of this is dependent on Mike finding a donor who has the same bone marrow match, usually a sibling.

Mike and I have emailed back and forth and believe me he faces astronomical expenses as he goes forward, expenses that insurance will not cover. He will need financial help and I hope we all assist him when and where possible with prayer and funds. Like JCCole, Dirt, Sky, Show and others have said, this puts things in a different perspective than the simple game of basketball which really doesn't mean much considering our life on this earth.

Mike should you read this you should know that everyone will pray for you and help when and where they can.

ofc

This post was edited on 2/24 9:43 PM by gottagonow

Originally posted by gottagonow:
I have written this post with hopes that everyone will better understand Mikes cancer and journey forward.

Mike and I have had the opportunity to communicate outside of THR and our DI forum. As I am not a dynamic poster very few of you might remember that I too have the big C and ironically the same cancer as Mike. We also have the same Oncologist at Duke Cancer Center. The name of the disease is Myelodysplastic Syndrome or MDS for short. Basically it is a blood and bone marrow cancer where the marrow does not produce red blood cells that are capable of maturing. Typically, the longer one has the disease the more the cancer advances. Mike's is more advanced that mine as he has had it three times as long as I have and he probably has a different kind of MDS as there are several variances. Mike is looking at a possible bone marrow transplant to save his life that will require 3 months in Duke Hospital or as an outpatient living in a Duke monitored apartment for three months that has a sterile environment and thus the high cost. All of this is dependent on Mike finding a donor who has the same bone marrow match, usually a sibling.

Mike and I have emailed back and forth and believe me he faces astronomical expenses as he goes forward, expenses that insurance will not cover. He will need financial help and I hope we all assist him when and where possible with prayer and funds. Like JCCole, Dirt, Sky, Show and others have said, this puts things in a different perspective than the simple game of basketball which really doesn't mean much considering our life on this earth.

Mike should you read this you should know that everyone will pray for you and help when and where they can.

ofc

Prayers are going out to you also gotta. Please keep us informed. What you have described is very interesting to me. I have a disease called polycythymia. I have too many red blood cells and my blood is too thick. I've had it about ten years. I go to the cancer center AMRC here in my hometown. They draw 400 cc's of blood from me every two months. My Dr. tells me I'm doing well but going left unchecked it can become Leukemia. There is no cure and it is very rare. I only know one other person who has it and I just recently met him. I have been very blessed. I have a lot of faith and I know I will be ok. I'm glad you posted this. We needed to know about it. It motivated me to post about my disease of which I only share with people who are close. We all need prayers from each other and blessings from our Heavenly Father. A little kindness will help also. I had decided that my previous post on this thread would be my last one on this thread but this post by gotta changed that. My heart is full and goes out to both Mike and gotta. "Never give up, don't ever give up."......Jim Valvano. OFC

Sky I had no idea you were an ill man except by some of your post,
3dgrin.r191677.gif
but seriously I hate to hear you have that condition. One of the concerns of MDS is it becoming Lukemia or Multiple Myeloma. Perhaps we could exchange blood if you have too many red blood cell and its too thick as I don't have enough and mines too thin. I tell few people I am ill simply because there are so darned many people that have worse illnesses than I.

Like you said about only meeting a single other person with your disease, I have only met a couple of people with MDS and that is what drew me to Mike Irbys post.

One day, probably as soon as we are gone a cure will be discovered for our respective cancers and diseases. I am glad you and Mike shared your illness with us as we now have a defined connection other than Duke and UNC Basketball. Whats that called, a kindred relationship?

I just said a prayer for you and Mike and lets just keep that going.

ofc

ofc

Prayers and thoughts sent to you as well. Keep up the fight!

Originally posted by skysdad:

ofc

Prayers are going out to you also gotta. Please keep us informed. What you have described is very interesting to me. I have a disease called polycythymia. I have too many red blood cells and my blood is too thick. I've had it about ten years. I go to the cancer center AMRC here in my hometown. They draw 400 cc's of blood from me every two months. My Dr. tells me I'm doing well but going left unchecked it can become Leukemia. There is no cure and it is very rare. I only know one other person who has it and I just recently met him. I have been very blessed. I have a lot of faith and I know I will be ok. I'm glad you posted this. We needed to know about it. It motivated me to post about my disease of which I only share with people who are close. We all need prayers from each other and blessings from our Heavenly Father. A little kindness will help also. I had decided that my previous post on this thread would be my last one on this thread but this post by gotta changed that. My heart is full and goes out to both Mike and gotta. "Never give up, don't ever give up."......Jim Valvano. OFC
Sky, I have only met you one time, but I surely call you a friend. I never knew you had such a disease. You handle it well, as you make this a more entertaining board with your entries. Please keep it up and know that you will be in my prayers always. OFC

I don't know Mike but it doesn't matter, I hope and pray that you defeat this ugly mess. Prayers for you and your family.

ofc

Gottago, I didn't realize you were fighting this terrible thing yourself. You and your family are in my prayers, and if you need any help at all please let us know here at DI. Take care and God bless you.

Sky, I didn't know you had polycythemia. I haven't known of anyone (until now) having this...other than my brother. He's had it for almost 20 years now. It's a small world isn't it? We're all brothers, and sisters connected by our human frailty. You and your family are also in my prayers and thoughts (as your mother-in-law has been for some time now). God bless everyone of you.

OFC

This post was edited on 2/25 10:46 AM by OldasdirtDevil

Sky I had no idea you were an ill man except by some of your post,
3dgrin.r191677.gif
but seriously I hate to hear you have that condition. One of the concerns of MDS is it becoming Lukemia or Multiple Myeloma. Perhaps we could exchange blood if you have too many red blood cell and its too thick as I don't have enough and mines too thin. I tell few people I am ill simply because there are so darned many people that have worse illnesses than I.

Like you said about only meeting a single other person with your disease, I have only met a couple of people with MDS and that is what drew me to Mike Irbys post.

One day, probably as soon as we are gone a cure will be discovered for our respective cancers and diseases. I am glad you and Mike shared your illness with us as we now have a defined connection other than Duke and UNC Basketball. Whats that called, a kindred relationship?

I just said a prayer for you and Mike and lets just keep that going.

ofc
Thanks gotta. I actually feel better since I posted about my condition. You and Mike encouraged me to do that. OFC

Originally posted by Heyman25:

ofc

Sky, I have only met you one time, but I surely call you a friend. I never knew you had such a disease. You handle it well, as you make this a more entertaining board with your entries. Please keep it up and know that you will be in my prayers always. OFC
Thanks Heyman. I also consider you a friend. I connected with you right off the bat when I first started posting. OFC

Originally posted by OldasdirtDevil:

ofc

Gottago, I didn't realize you were fighting this terrible thing yourself. You and your family are in my prayers, and if you need any help at all please let us know here at DI. Take care and God bless you.

Sky, I didn't know you had polycythemia. I haven't known of anyone (until now) having this...other than my brother. He's had it for almost 20 years now. It's a small world isn't it? We're all brothers, and sisters connected by our human frailty. You and your family are also in my prayers and thoughts (as your mother-in-law has been for some time now). God bless everyone of you.

OFC

This post was edited on 2/25 10:46 AM by OldasdirtDevil
That is amazing dirt. It seems as though everyone you meet has a connection if you talk to them long enough. How old s your brother, how is he doing and does he receive phlybotomy's . OFC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT