ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Queens

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
⏰ 2pm
📺 CW
📍 Cameron indoor

Short and sweet game day thread because I hate early tip offs on Saturdays and I’m bitter I probably won’t get to watch!

After a 10 day break we ease back into action agains this 6-8 “Royal” squad. Let’s hope we come out on fire!

Duke-85
Queens-60

Reactions: hart2chesson
We start slow, pull away, win by 25. Would like to see Power and Stewart get more minutes. I have a feeling Young is going to have another good game. Stay healthy. Is Proctor playing? I would also like for us to not take a lot of 3s; we are not always going to shoot like we did against Baylor.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
We start slow, pull away, win by 25. Would like to see Power and Stewart get more minutes. I have a feeling Young is going to have another good game. Stay healthy. Is Proctor playing? I would also like for us to not take a lot of 3s; we are not always going to shoot like we did against Baylor.
Amen to all, especially on Power and Stewart getting more PT!!

OFC

Reactions: christophero
Oh yeah. Game before I think we were hot from 3. I'm hearing Proctor is warming up, Reeves is not.

Mac alluded to this above in the thread, I am curious as well:

Do we keep the starting 5 the same or do we slide Foster to the bench now that Proctor is back?

I say we keep the starters the same and if Foster starts to struggle and Proctor is outplaying him than we move Proctor back into the starting lineup.

Moving forward these look like our 10:

Foster - Proctor
Roach - Blakes
McCain - Power
Mitchell - Stewart
Flip - Young

Tough call between Foster and Proctor imo. I worry that if Foster loses his starting job it may hinder his confidence. I don’t worry about Proctor losing his confidence. In certain matchups I could see Scheyer starting Foster, Proctor, Roach, McCain, and Flip to play the first 4-6 minutes and wear the other team down if Duke has the speed advantage.

Onto the conference season!

Last edited:
Just got home; game wasn't on out west. Looks like we had a nice win I'll look for the highlights. 37 point margin. If McCain keeps this up we can beat anyone. Good to see Stewart got 10 minutes. Foster and Mitchell and Flip in double figures, Young with 8. Nice to get Proctor back; 9 points in 18 minutes. Feeling pretty good going into ACC play.

Last edited:
Can anyone post highlights? I'll give you half my Coor's Lite and a cold hot dog. (have to work Monday; so today is my New Year's Eve)
Just watched a 5 minute highlight. McCain looks great, as did Proctor. McCain is likely OAD; there is a lot of talent there. Credit Jon for sticking with him. Blakes looked sharp as well. (So happy for him; please stick around next year) Flip had some really nice 10 foot jumpers. Stewart has the talent but he is raw and looked a little out of control on defense. He seems to always go for the spectacular play. He will be a good one; but it may take some time. Mitchell had some nice plays. Great to get us healthy going into ACC play.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I have been traveling all day and just returned home to catch the game. We came out rusty and then stomped a mud hole in them. I'm slightly alarmed by our rebounding against a smaller opponent, which would be my one criticism of the game.

Overall, though, I am pleased Proctor returned a few weeks earlier than I thought he would. It was great to see him out there. Jared is coming into his game. Young is an asset. I don't care what anyone says.

The G-man brought up a great point about our rebounding struggles and Flip's foul trouble, and those are fixable, though. Our ceiling is high. Let's keep improving.

We will agree to disagree on Proctor then.
Proctor will probably reenter the starting line up, but it is not unheard of for a player good enough to start to come off the bench. If Duke found a groove with Foster starting with Proctor out, 1. why disrupt the flow 2. That is a powerful punch first off the bench.

People automatically think starting holds this power and if someone goes to coming off the bench there is something wrong. Nate James was a regular starter in 2001 until K went to bringing him off the bench for sone reason.

And finally, I have seen first hand on a few occasions, having worked in intercollegiate athletics, one of the best players on the team cone off the bench because they, proven on multiple occasions, they played so much better off the bench than when they started.

I reiterate that Proctor will probably be put back in the starting lineup. But if he happens to stay as a bench player, i will not read too much into it. It is not beyond the realm of possibility our best potential is any of our current starters or Proctor coming off the bench...

Last edited:
Dunno what to make of this

Simple...play better. Make your shots, defend and rebound....its in his own hands. Shifting the blame to the coach shows a weak character. Maybe its just his relative that feels this way, which is still nonsense but his opportunity is his to take or not. If i was Mitchell I'd tell my relative to STHU

Simple...play better. Make your shots, defend and rebound....its in his own hands. Shifting the blame to the coach shows a weak character. Maybe its just his relative that feels this way, which is still nonsense but his opportunity is his to take or not. If i was Mitchell I'd tell my relative to STHU
Yeah. I mean Jon is giving Mark every chance to shine! I don't get it....OFC

I just saw the Mitchell article. What is this about? Is it Jon's fault Mitchell can't shoot? He's shooting 5 percent from 3. He is starting on a top 20 team. Hopefully it gets sorted out. Is it non basketball related?

Last edited:
I agree Mac. If he has a beef and wants to air it publicly, say what is on your mind. Don't be cryptic. It's not like Mark was benched, he's getting big minutes. Dealing with parents has always been a part of coaching young people, but now there is social media.

Last edited:
Can identify with what?
Probably struggling. Most all of these kids were the best player on their hs team, and they’re also told by everyone how good they are. They get to college and many find out they aren’t as good as they thought they were.

It’s obvious Mitchell is struggling. Hope he figures it out. Agree with Gminski yesterday when he said Mitchell was the key in his opinion to Duke being great.

Mitchell looks like he doesn’t know what he is doing. Does the wrong thing at the wrong time on offense. Touch isn’t there near the basket. He hustles though. Needs more games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT