ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremy Roach

What was Jack White? A two star recruit? The fact that he may see NBA action next year gives me hope.
I think he’ll head back overseas though. He’ll make more money when Fiba ball picks back up after the World Games.
Probably insurance if Porter Jr don’t stay healthy but yeah a team can call you up on a ten day contract before it has to either send you back to the gleague or pay you league minimum.

It's funny that was a young team at the time but nowadays it would be a fairly experienced one. Junior Quinn Cook, transfer Rodney Hood (essentially a junior), senior Hairston, senior Thornton, sophs Jefferson and Sulaimon, senior Dawkins and soph. Marshall. But the pieces didn't really fit. We didn't really have a center that year.
PS Just read Keels shot 26 percent in 5 games in Vegas. 20 percent from 3. Against pretty average competition. Jack White signed a 2 way contract with the Nuggets. Good job Jack! From what I've read a 2 way contract allows a team to call you up from the G League if needed for a certain number of games.

hairston was like having negative talent on the team

Pisgah although Hairston did not have the most talent, I did really appreciate his Hustle.

Fourteen44 agreed that 19-20 Duke team was going to be a tough #2 seed in the tournament. They had solid wins against #1 Kansas in the Champions Classic that season, @ Michigan State, and against Florida State. With a solid point guard and one of the better big men in the country in Carey along with a strong supporting cast, I liked Duke’s chances to get to the Elite 8 that season at worst.

Chris, I believe Jack was a 3 star recruit. He and Jav didn’t start seeing a lot of court time until they were upperclassmen.

I think it was probably a one off. But I'm not really an optimist in sports. That team was too inconsistent to make a deep run imo. But it is true, we will never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
My recollection without looking it up was that Justin was playing well the last few games. He might not have continued to shoot really well from 3, but he was giving a lot of energy on the boards and he was filling the 5th spot in the lineup that we needed all season.

My recollection without looking it up was that Justin was playing well the last few games. He might not have continued to shoot really well from 3, but he was giving a lot of energy on the boards and he was filling the 5th spot in the lineup that we needed all season.
Agreed, it was more than one game, it was a handful as the seasoned progressed later year….

Some practice video is out there. The comments on DBR seem to be that Young is a baller, and Schutt can shoot. Roach looks great. Grandison coming off some minor injury. Lively and Mitchell impressed as well. Proctor not on campus yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I watched the video. Young is a great guy to have teaching Flip and Lively how to be tough inside. He's going to be very valuable.

I realize it's a highlight film, but Schutt has a quick release and is active at both ends.

Lively and Flip have work to do but both are obviously gifted. Flip is a big dude.

Blakes looks like he is deserving of some PT but Roach will get as many minutes as he can handle.

What was Jack White? A two star recruit? The fact that he may see NBA action next year gives me hope.
I don't remember his ranking. Seems like it was pretty high. If Duke goes overseas for a player, most recruiting analysts will give him a high ranking just because it's Duke

Reactions: 2DDIMOND

THIS

Jack also passed up playing professionally to come to Duke.
it’s like a lot of Australian players are going to the overtime elite so they can adjust to the physicality of league play.

Reactions: christophero
New scrimmage up on DBR. Some thoughts
1. Whitehead looks like a pro. Better O than I thought.
2. Blakes looked good.
3. Wow Mitchell can ball.
4. Lively gonna dunk a lot.
5. Young tough and solid again.
6. Lively blocked Blakes with his elbow.
7. Mitchell and Whitehead look better than Keels and Griffin.
8. Flip shot well.
9. Roach solid again.
10. Schutt hit a few 3s.

New scrimmage up on DBR. Some thoughts
1. Whitehead looks like a pro. Better O than I thought.
2. Blakes looked good.
3. Wow Mitchell can ball.
4. Lively gonna dunk a lot.
5. Young tough and solid again.
6. Lively blocked Blakes with his elbow.
7. Mitchell and Whitehead look better than Keels and Griffin.
8. Flip shot well.
9. Roach solid again.
10. Schutt hit a few 3s.
Like all this except Mitchell and Whitehead looking better then Keels and Griffin. It’s scrimmage so I’ll wait until I see them during an actual game . All scrimmages and practices look good until the actual game . I do like the hustle .

You're right. But I see a motor with Mitchell that is unique. Kid's got the eye of the tiger.
I agree on this. He will do the bull of his scoring from 15 feet in to the basket. He has a nice jumper.
I’ll even go further in saying Whitehead and Mitchell might be better then Griffin and Keels. We saw glimpses of what Griffin can do but never saw his full potential on display and Keels needed to hit shots. Whitehead and Mitchell are more attack first and if you leave them open they will make you pay . If they are hitting their open three’s that’s good for Duke bad for opponents because your not going to take away the lane with three slashers on the floor and two bigs.

We definitely have flexibility in our line ups. We can go with Roach/Blakes, Roach Whitehead, Roach/Schutt, even Blakes/Whitehead. And then we add Proctor. Up front we can go small with Lively/Mitchell, Flip Mitchell, or Young/ Mitchell. We can also go big with Lively/Flip, although I think those 2 need to become a little more assertive. It's only summer, so plenty of time. One caveat is our guys never seem to have trouble scoring on each other in scrimmages. Even in past years. Blakes does seem improved, but it will be interesting to see how much better Proctor is than Blakes. Roach, Whitehead and Mitchell seem like sure starters at this point, and probably Lively. The only issue with Mitchell at the 4 is it may clog the lane a bit.

We definitely have flexibility in our line ups. We can go with Roach/Blakes, Roach Whitehead, Roach/Schutt, even Blakes/Whitehead. And then we add Proctor. Up front we can go small with Lively/Mitchell, Flip Mitchell, or Young/ Mitchell. We can also go big with Lively/Flip, although I think those 2 need to become a little more assertive. It's only summer, so plenty of time. One caveat is our guys never seem to have trouble scoring on each other in scrimmages. Even in past years. Blakes does seem improved, but it will be interesting to see how much better Proctor is than Blakes. Roach, Whitehead and Mitchell seem like sure starters at this point, and probably Lively. The only issue with Mitchell at the 4 is it may clog the lane a bit.
If you start, Roach, Proctor or Grandison, Whitehead, Mitchell and Lively that’s an athletic line up with interchangeable parts.
I do think the starting five will be
Roach, Grandison, Whitehead, Flip and Lively.
Second unit of Proctor, Schutt, Blake’s, Mitchell and Young off the bench . Mitchell and proctor will play starter minutes and a course the line ups can always change .

Mitchell could thrive in a 6th man role. If we need to go quick we can start him at the 4. Based on the scrimmages Flip seems more like a 4 than a 5. But we have Lively and Young at the 5.
Just read that Bill Russell died. That is sad.

Last edited:
When is proctor gonna start practicing with the team? He is missing on valuable time here.
No he’s playing against pro’s but this isn’t his fault as far as getting on campus . He’s still waiting on his campus and state status paperwork to clear . He’s not just sitting around though he’s working out and playing good.

Reactions: jamsession3
Has he been cleared to play yet? Seems like there is still a lot to do.
Haven’t heard anything but it’s just not about basketball. He still has to be approved for his move to the United States. Not sure how the process goes but I do remember all the early enrollments their paperwork took some time during processing and some missed the summer workouts.

Reactions: geddoughton23
No he’s playing against pro’s but this isn’t his fault as far as getting on campus . He’s still waiting on his campus and state status paperwork to clear . He’s not just sitting around though he’s working out and playing good.
I understand that but playing with your teammates is invaluable. You have to understand your guys despite your talent

Like all this except Mitchell and Whitehead looking better then Keels and Griffin. It’s scrimmage so I’ll wait until I see them during an actual game . All scrimmages and practices look good until the actual game . I do like the hustle .
This ^
Some players look like Tarzan in practice and play like Jane in games.

I understand that but playing with your teammates is invaluable. You have to understand your guys despite your talent
Once again there is nothing he can do about this it is out of his hands! He would be here if he could but he’s waiting on clearance isn’t anything the staff or him can do about it .

Once again there is nothing he can do about this it is out of his hands! He would be here if he could but he’s waiting on clearance isn’t anything the staff or him can do about it .
Surely a Duke alum has contacts at the top of the State Department

Great post, Chris! I heard today that the great Lou Carnesseca started his St John's coaching career as baseball coach following Frank McGuire who took the Johnnies to the 1949 college world series and then the 1952 Final Four

Lou was great. He was a screamer during practice. I remember him screaming at Marco Baldi for missing a dunk. He made him keep going til he dunked it. Took him like 5 tries.

Surely a Duke alum has contacts at the top of the State Department
I think him playing with the Aussy National team will only help same with Blake’s . These are just scrimmage videos the hard work will begin next month.

I can’t believe I’m reading someone panic because an Aussie player isn’t at Duke yet.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Watching our Elite Eight match up with Arkansas 2022. I'll have some thoughts.
1. Arkansas has 4 senior starters. They were a veteran team.
2. Mark Williams is really good. Lively has some big shoes to fill.
3. This was a really solid Duke team. Moore, AJ and Keels are big strong wings, and Banchero is a huge PF.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT