ADVERTISEMENT

Is Carter staying???

I'm hearing Vernon may reclassify and come to Duke. I'd rather have Carter back, but that would be nice too.
Wow if true but honestly I’d rather him just wait. I’d be more comfortable with Bolden/Vrank manning the paint. First off for experience/upperclassmen/earned this time. Second because there won’t be enough shots to go around with Barrett and Reddish demanding a lot.

Reactions: christophero
*Updated with social media rumors

C: Carter
PF: Bolden
SF: Reddish
SG: Barrett
PG: Jones

6: Zion
7: Vrank
8: Cremo/O'Connell
10: White

Last edited:
*Updated with social media rumors

C: Carter
PF: Bolden
SF: Reddish
SG: Barrett
PG: Jones

6: Zion
7: Vrank
8: Cremo/O'Connell
10: White

There is no way they sit Zion. If Carter stays then Bolden may bolt for G League despite not being ready. Also, Vrank wouldn’t see the court before Cremo or AOC if Bolden stayed.

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
I'm hearing Vernon may reclassify and come to Duke. I'd rather have Carter back, but that would be nice too.

Be a smart decision on his part since next year’s class is loaded at PF/C whereas this year’s class is weak. Would also make more room for guys like Stewart, Moore or Bacot. Don’t be surprised is Wiseman ends up doing the same thing and stays in Memphis to play for Penny.

Wow if true but honestly I’d rather him just wait. I’d be more comfortable with Bolden/Vrank manning the paint. First off for experience/upperclassmen/earned this time. Second because there won’t be enough shots to go around with Barrett and Reddish demanding a lot.
Yeah, this isn't fantasy basketball. Shouldn't need a top 10 recruit at every position. Would be great if he still had Jeter but since we don't, a junior Bolden will do just fine if he keeps progressing and works hard.

I hope everyone else spends all summer shooting 3s. Crazy that UK is probably going to 5-6 shooters and we'll be lucky to have 3.

Yeah, this isn't fantasy basketball. Shouldn't need a top 10 recruit at every position. Would be great if he still had Jeter but since we don't, a junior Bolden will do just fine if he keeps progressing and works hard.

I hope everyone else spends all summer shooting 3s. Crazy that UK is probably going to 5-6 shooters and we'll be lucky to have 3.
Who cares what uk has?

There is no way they sit Zion. If Carter stays then Bolden may bolt for G League despite not being ready. Also, Vrank wouldn’t see the court before Cremo or AOC if Bolden stayed.

Bolden won't leave for the G league

.....Jeter caused me more tantrums then public toilet paper lol

So if rumors are true, Duke backed off EJ. Something is in play here. Bolden is staying, or Vernon is reclassifying, or Cremo or someone else is coming, or the coaches are happy with what we have, which makes sense if Bolden is staying.

So if rumors are true, Duke backed off EJ. Something is in play here. Bolden is staying, or Vernon is reclassifying, or Cremo or someone else is coming, or the coaches are happy with what we have, which makes sense if Bolden is staying.
All 3 of those options are better than Duke getting EJ.
Best case- We keep Bolden, Cremo comes, and we get Carey JR for the class of 2019.
However, adding Carey JR to next year's team makes our ceiling incredibly high, I really want Bolden back though, can't see us having both.

Yeah I'd rather have Bolden back. Bolden, Javin and Vrank make us relatively experienced at the 5. And Jack could back up Zion. And AOC could back up the 1-3 if we don't get Cremo. Goldwire could get some burn if he makes a leap.

All 3 of those options are better than Duke getting EJ.
Best case- We keep Bolden, Cremo comes, and we get Carey JR for the class of 2019.
However, adding Carey JR to next year's team makes our ceiling incredibly high, I really want Bolden back though, can't see us having both.

We can, actually. Carey Jr is 2 years from being draft eligible due to his age. I suspect that the new NBA requirement, imposed this summer on the NEXT class (aka HS class of 19) will be to keep the age requirement in place, but to make it 2 years from graduation if you attend college, but you can go G league out of HS for 1-2 years before being draft eligible.
Look, realistically, guys like Cam or RJ could possibly do OK in the G league to the point that they'd stay as high level NBA picks.
HS age big men would be eaten ALIVE in the g league by a bunch of 27 year olds with mature bodies, a decade more experience, that are driven by desperation.
No matter what future regs the NBA imposes on HS players, essentially every big will have to take the college route. Given that 2 years in college seems likely, guys like Vernon would be wise to start the clock NOW.
Also, 2 years in college, with one being vs the bigs we already have, would be better for his development than dominating a bunch of physically overwhelmed HS bigs.
More also, Duke next year is going to run a NBA system. A nominal PG, with 2 wings that are more than capable of helping with team running duties, and a combo F. Alongside 1 traditional big. Given our recruiting, the next Duke team is likely to feature more of the same, with a strong perimeter around a solitary big.

It's possible but I agree with JWill that it seems unlikely that we get Bolden back and Carey Jr. If we do it will lead to guys leaving, which is happening at Kentucky. Let's let the experienced guys in the frontcourt step up. But like I said before, if Bolden leaves we need another body.

Is Carter coming back?!?!?! I wish he would but I believe it’s safe to say he isn’t coming back unless he lands some free tickets for the UNCheat game. Has any of the previous OADs ever came back for a game? Seriously I don’t remember seeing any coming back to watch a game

Is Carter coming back?!?!?! I wish he would but I believe it’s safe to say he isn’t coming back unless he lands some free tickets for the UNCheat game. Has any of the previous OADs ever came back for a game? Seriously I don’t remember seeing any coming back to watch a game
Jabari comes back regularly. Justise, Tyus, and Jah all have been to multiple games. I'd be willing to bet that every OAD has come back for a game or two.

These guys do play in the NBA, they play a lot more games than Duke does, and their travel schedules are ridiculous. Seems like guys attend games when they are either playing in Charlotte, during the all-star break, or not playing due to surgery (Jabari's case). Other than that, they don't have the time.

Sorry wrong thread lol. I need some coffee. Carter coming back would be amazing, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Still not getting my hopes up (or trying not to) but if Carter stays I think he would probably be this year’s captain, no?

Nothing wrong with hoping. I hope I win the lottery every time I play it and when I don't I realize as long as I'm still on this side of the dirt, life is good lol.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I would love for the young man to return

But

I recommend he goes.....I can’t see how that’s not the best thing for him but hey...

Frankly, if I were in his position, I would 100% go. The fact that he is even considering staying I think says a lot about how great a kid he is and helps debunk the notion that all of the OAD kids couldn’t care less about school. Sadly, Jabari went through a similar journey about leaving and ultimately decided the NBA was in his best interest which I’m guessing happens here. Also this wouldn’t be the dumbest thing to plant in the press to show NBA teams what a smart, level-headed kid they are getting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT