ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's frontcourt

christophero

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 2, 2017
Just wanted to give a shout out to our frontcourt. Banchero has really played tough and smart in this tournament, and my opinion of him has changed. I always liked him, but he seems to have found that extra gear that has made him possibly the number one pick. He is also a clever passer. Williams is another one. He has been remarkably (ha) consistent, changing the game with his length and not getting into foul trouble. And Theo, who gives us veteran toughness and moxie. Do we even win against TT without him? He was built for that game. And finally Bates Jones. No he didn't play well yest. but he did give Banchero a much needed rest and is another veteran role player. Well done job to the best frontcourt in the country!

Agree. The chemistry between Williams and Banchero has improved greatly too. How many lobs earlier this year did Banchero toss to Williams that went out of bounds? Recently they have been playing very well together, and IMHO they could be nearly unstoppable. I've been praising Theo all year, but he too has stepped up his game. He's been playing very well, especially on the offensive glass.

Agree. The chemistry between Williams and Banchero has improved greatly too. How many lobs earlier this year did Banchero toss to Williams that went out of bounds? Recently they have been playing very well together, and IMHO they could be nearly unstoppable. I've been praising Theo all year, but he too has stepped up his game. He's been playing very well, especially on the offensive glass.
Theo has 3 rebounds combined the past 2 games. He usually gives us great minutes but he hasn't had much of an impact at all on the glass the last 2 games.

Just wanted to give a shout out to our frontcourt. Banchero has really played tough and smart in this tournament, and my opinion of him has changed. I always liked him, but he seems to have found that extra gear that has made him possibly the number one pick. He is also a clever passer. Williams is another one. He has been remarkably (ha) consistent, changing the game with his length and not getting into foul trouble. And Theo, who gives us veteran toughness and moxie. Do we even win against TT without him? He was built for that game. And finally Bates Jones. No he didn't play well yest. but he did give Banchero a much needed rest and is another veteran role player. Well done job to the best frontcourt in the country!

This tournament has made him the clear #1 pick IMO. NBA GM's have to be salivating at his skill set and now he is looking like he is getting a clutch and I'm the man the gene to go with it.

I disagree. Theo is not played a lot of minutes. He had two huge offensive rebounds late in the MSU game that gave us extra possessions. Last night he had an offensive rebound and a putback again, late in a critical game. That doesn't even take into account the intangibles.

I see Theo providing more leadership than Moore and Baker to be honest. His play set the tone for us physically.

Completely agree with this. It's too bad because we could use another guy off the bench.

That said, crazy thought, but if we need to give Paola a breather, what about bringing in Theo to spell him for a minute? Instead of bringing in Jones or Baker, why not Theo for a minute or two? He certainly wouldn't have played any worse that Jones.

Reactions: christophero
Count me as a Theo fan. I think he was an excellent pickup. He sets an example of how to be tough and selfless. We really didn't need another star. Could have used a similarly tough backup point guard but we didn't get one. Luckily we now have a very tough starting point guard!

Completely agree with this. It's too bad because we could use another guy off the bench.

That said, crazy thought, but if we need to give Paola a breather, what about bringing in Theo to spell him for a minute? Instead of bringing in Jones or Baker, why not Theo for a minute or two? He certainly wouldn't have played any worse that Jones.
Theo can’t guard 4s and he is foul prone. Bates has his issues but if he burns a couple of fouls, no big deal since he is only paying a couple of minutes.

Bates Jones can't guard 4's either. But I see your point about the fouls. Bates Jones can get Paulo a rest, and I think he can play better than he did last night.
I think he did good for being thrown in there. His shot wasn’t falling but he’s got five fouls so Paolo can get a rest .

I complain about K not using his bench enough, so I can't complain that Bates is in there. Using bates was like using the zone, to buy as some time. Looking at those old Ark. highlights Meeks was being abused by Williamson, but you have to give Parks a rest.

If Bates had hit one of his two shots, we would call his few minutes a wash. I was really rooting for him to hit one. Didn't work out.

I want Theo to save his fouls for the opposing big guy underneath the basket.

Reactions: sheyduke
With almost no team fouls, Bates should have been playing super physical and beating on his guy. Foul slows down the game, decreasing the minutes he needs to be in for and stops clock so he can be subbed out.

Hindsight, but I would have instructed him to foul as soon as his guy beat him.

This. If Theo only gets one foul in the first half. I’m telling Theo ,” you got four fouls dont be scared to use them!” But play smart.
Not only would I tell him not to be scared, I would tell him to be overly aggressive. Make the opponent look for you knowing that a ferocious pick or box out is sure to come.

John is doing very well. Two blocked shots last night. I am surprised that he and Banchero aren't better rebounders

Reactions: sheyduke
Not only would I tell him not to be scared, I would tell him to be overly aggressive. Make the opponent look for you knowing that a ferocious pick or box out is sure to come.

John is doing very well. Two blocked shots last night. I am surprised that he and Banchero aren't better rebounders
I agree. They might go to the line but as long as they are having to work for it and Williams is getting a breather I think Theo wears them down. But then again Mark ain’t no push over .

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT