ADVERTISEMENT

I'm all-in for Scheyer

BluePhil

Cameron Crazy
Jan 28, 2008
I really have not been around as much the last couple of seasons in the group due to being a 24/7 caregiver for my father for part of the time and other family health situations.

Anyway - I realized most of my posts have been negative. mainly because I have posted on gamedays.

As Duke fans we have not had new Coach blues for over 40 years. I'm in my 50's and barely remember Bill Foster, and if my father had not been a Sports Editor at the time, probably would not have remembered K's first few seasons all that well. We have seen many schools go through the new Coach malaise, but our experience is pretty much nil unless you are a charter member of the OFC.

So I wanted to make this post, that I am all in for Scheyer. Sure it is easy for me to sit back and and rest on the Laurel's of my two-time Lazyboy ArmChair Coach of the Year Awards and criticize the job he is doing, but he has come into the most difficult environment (in terms of expectations) of any Coaching job in the country.

We all know he bleeds blue. We all know he has an incredible amount of determination. Whether we felt he should have been chosen or not he is our Coach and deserves some support along with the critiques. He deserves 3-4 years to give it his best shot, and I for one am going to watch and cheer during every game.

So if you do see a negative post - or 5 - from me, remember I love Scheyer for all he has given to Duke in the past and hope for a future that involves him having incredible success at Duke for many seasons to come.

I agree Jon can coach and is learning on the job. He needs to get some of the freshman to return. Because I don't think he is a good enough coach to get a bunch of freshman to the FF/EE like coach K did. Not at the moment anyway. If we can get 5-6 guys back I think we see more consistency next year. We need to convince guys that playing year two at Duke is not a badge of shame, and one more year is better than rolling the dice in the second round for the Proctor/Mitchells of the world.

I'm with you Phil it's hard to follow a legend no matter the sport. Jon is a class act and pulling for him to be a success and do it his own way. It makes his job a lot tougher with young players being the most talented on the team.
And his first season coincided with overrated recruits like Lively and Proctor, Whiteheads injuries, the team leader Roach who is not NBA caliber. All of this with a deeper than usual ACC. Not a great league but a lot of teams like Clemson, Wake, Miami, and Pitt who are better than usual. Nd FSU and Ville are horrible that offsets it somewhat but we only play FSU once not sure about the other two

I absolutely love what he does s doing on the court except for the part where at crunch time the ball should be in Roach’s hands not Proctor and Flip should get a touch on every possession. He is not a freshman any more. It looks like he is trying to get away from the one and done crowd by recruiting a mix of players. He does need a few of the freshman to stay. I would say Flip and Dariq go other than that it is a toss up.

Reactions: christophero
I think Scheyer is going to be great but it might take a few years. I know he has tremendous competitive fire but we are getting killed by the refs and Scheyer has to speak out at some point. Otherwise, it's not his fault that the top recruits so far have been historically underperforming (except for Flip, thank goodness for him).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT