ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH***

I, like SOME others want duke to win championships. SOME understand what it takes to win and when losing characteristics are right in front of you call it out. OTHERS feel like every duke player and coach is perfect and there should be no criticism. Being soft on our youth like this is what is making them soft post college. The duke players need to be crushed in practice and in film sessions by the coaches right now.

We are having warranted conversations on effort. When a K team lacks effort that is trouble.

I can't stand how poorly duke is playing and am so critical because I care so much. You play to win. So much can and needs to be improved upon. No one is asking for a new coach.

It's comical how posters on this board want people that are critical to no longer be fans. Personally I feel if you're not extremely critical right now of the team you're not a true fan. I don't care how long you've supposedly rooted for duke. Duke is not playing or giving the effort the name on the jersey demands.

Yes I think matt jones doesn't deserve 20 minutes a game. Yes I think chase will be a bust based on his recruiting rankings. I wish k would get Luke to put some effort on D. I wish amile would be a leader and not a complainer and whiner all game. I wish Grayson would grow up. I wish bolden would play with effort. I wish frank would attack all game when it's there.

On the positive side, matt busts his butt on d, Luke is playing amazing offensively, Tatum can get any shot he wants, Giles is improving, frank can attack, there's time to improve. K can make amazing adjustments when he isn't stubborn.

I feel we should be discussing what needs to happen to be a clear favorite to win it all.

There is a difference in being critical of a team/player/coach and lashing out at them. I don't think many here would disagree with many of the actual concerns you have, but with the manner in which you voice them ad nauseum. And while I think you should be allowed to vent your frustrations and concerns however you want on a public message board, the frequency and the way you choose to bring attention to negative aspects of the team make you come off as a whiny little bit** and so people are going to call you on it.

Oh god... I've lashed out at them? Hopefully they can feel better at their finger painting class tomorrow.

I've been extremely critical of this team more than others because of their potential.

My critique hasn't been emotional. Not like duke has played one poor game and I say coach k can't coach anymore. I think he is doing a poor job this year because they've played a lot of poor games vs an easy schedule. the only player I see improvement in is luke and k wasn't even planning on starting him over matt his year. Ludicrous.

Hopefully they're getting their arse run into the ground today and not being coddled. They look and play out of shape too.

This Duke team is really bad right now,so is Carolina. Still think it can be turn around, watching Giles yesterday you could see his talent, agree Matt Jones is not a point guard, bet Jackson will end up starting.

Oh god... I've lashed out at them? Hopefully they can feel better at their finger painting class tomorrow.

I've been extremely critical of this team more than others because of their potential.

My critique hasn't been emotional. Not like duke has played one poor game and I say coach k can't coach anymore. I think he is doing a poor job this year because they've played a lot of poor games vs an easy schedule. the only player I see improvement in is luke and k wasn't even planning on starting him over matt his year. Ludicrous.

Hopefully they're getting their arse run into the ground today and not being coddled. They look and play out of shape too.
You say you are a coach right.Four of your players have leg injuries which precludes them from working out for four to six weeks and you expect them to be in game shape within two weeks.How is that even reasonable?Again I will say it again it takes some time to get familiar with your teammates and to get back in shape.This a team that is a work in progress

I agree with Get Nasty reference the "effort" comment. Its just not where it shoud be right now, especially for a DUKE team. I understand his frustration...Even w/the chemistry not there at one end of the floor, you can still play Duke defense....I expect Georgia Tech to see a fully loaded for bear Devils squad Wednesday. Its early, but dont discount the importance of this one. You have to protect your home court in this league!

OFC

I don't think it's necessarily effort. I saw a lot of effort, but unfortunately it looked like they were completely lost and confused out there. On both ends. Offensively it is a lot of standing around and watching rather than fluid ball and body movement. I think K needs to go back to the drawing board and try and figure out how to open up the floor and create better looks. I think lineup changes are certainly part of this. Defensively, wow couldn't be worse than we were yesterday and we had the audacity to make fun of the unc/U.K. Swiss cheese defense? We look lost and have no clue how to be a unit. So many offensive rebounds and open looks. K HATES giving up 3s and we gave more yesterday than I care to remember. Good on them for making them but we have to get tougher on defense. Box out for me one time.

I think we get this figured out, there is precedent for it. Injuries and blaming them sucks but that doesn't mean it's not reality. Later on this season if these issues are still here than color me concerned. Right now it's frustrating.

I agree and I meant the effort part from not getting hands in guys faces to matador D on dribble penetration.....A bad, bad day....

OFC

Reactions: kingbluedevil
You say you are a coach right.Four of your players have leg injuries which precludes them from working out for four to six weeks and you expect them to be in game shape within two weeks.How is that even reasonable?Again I will say it again it takes some time to get familiar with your teammates and to get back in shape.This a team that is a work in progress
These aren't ankle sprains,were they out of shape and overweight coming into practice? Was k gone over the summer allowing the players to slack? What's led to this many non common basketball injuries? Shoes? Weight and conditioning program? There's something systemic with this many foot injuries.

I'm not questioning the team not being in sync, I'm questioning their selfishness on offense and effort on D and k seems to not be doing anything yet to change it.

We're not accepting mediocrity, thats absurd. Mike Krzyzewski accepting mediocrity, lmfao. We've fallen way past the mark. I am certain that's not coaches fault. I AM certain it's a mixture of reasons ranging from injuries to chemistry and a dash of stupidity on Grayson's part. K is usually a master of that very thing, getting players to buy in to the team concept rather than the me . But that job became ten times the normal challenge this year simply because the team was divided by circumstances, not attitudes. And as the older players were holding down the fort, they were also hearing all the glamour about the young guns on the bench. This divided the team a bit and you know it. What's worse, they came into the fold at different times, each time affecting chemistry, they haven't been playing in practice together, there's no flow. Melt all those problems into the end all, be all of leaders, Grayson, ends up showing his ass, letting the team down and eventually stripped of his captaincy. Maybe I'm crazy, but that sounds like one HELL of a challenge , for ANY coach, to handle. Especially when you're at a university that expects excellence EVERY game. Still, I feel once Grayson Pulls his head out of his ass and reunites this team , by then Harry should be more comfortable, Tatum will be back to form and all of them will have actually spent some time on the court and in practice TOGETHER, which is really all this team needs. I would not have the guts to write this team off yet. It only needs one bomb to go off and make all these weapons become one and if we make it to that place, somebody is gonna tote an ass whipping.

Let's show some patience because it's going to take some time. It will be a real challenge without a point guard but I think the team will figure it out. The one thing going for Duke with the talent level is if they drive to the basket we have weapons. Tatum is quick for someone his height, Allen can drive and so can Kennard. Tatum will also be a good defensive player in a month or so. We are not the only team trying to find their way. I would like to see Vrank get into some games when Amile is struggling because he hustles and hits his foul shots.

Let's show some patience because it's going to take some time. It will be a real challenge without a point guard but I think the team will figure it out. The one thing going for Duke with the talent level is if they drive to the basket we have weapons. Tatum is quick for someone his height, Allen can drive and so can Kennard. Tatum will also be a good defensive player in a month or so. We are not the only team trying to find their way. I would like to see Vrank get into some games when Amile is struggling because he hustles and hits his foul shots.

It's true we don't have a true pg, but Grayson is probably the best at facilitating our offense. And with him (when he gets back) plus Luke on the perimeter it opens up the floor with the attention both of them receive with their shooting prowess.

As you and Show both said...time is the key. Also, our next 2 games are at home, and close together. A little playing time, plus home crowd energy should do wonders for our team.
Go Duke!

OFC

We don't need a PG. We need 5 guys to think like PGs. Even PGs score. We are not looking for the advantage off of passes. The reason for hope is we've been darn good at getting into the lane off the dribble. Tatum seems to get by his man 90% of the time. The spacing off those drives has been OK, but the decisions made after that are slow. We have to dial things up.

Reactions: Showenuff

Nasty you sound like you enjoy them playing poorly so you can justify your criticism of them. The team is really playing poorly in every phase of the game currently and I am pretty sure they realize this don't need you to tell them constantly. They are going to show great improvement next game and you can give it a rest. We are all frustrated but they will be much different next game.

We don't need a PG. We need 5 guys to think like PGs. Even PGs score. We are not looking for the advantage off of passes. The reason for hope is we've been darn good at getting into the lane off the dribble. Tatum seems to get by his man 90% of the time. The spacing off those drives has been OK, but the decisions made after that are slow. We have to dial things up.
They listened to me against GT. Everyone was looking to find the open man.

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT