ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- duke vs fsu

Watching the extended highlights and here are my observations.
1. Blakes really being aggressive, and playing with a lot of confidence. He's a strong kid, and is playing like a senior.
2. Young just abusing the FSU bigs with his Kevin McHale moves. Nice to see the pump fake.
3. Grandison doing his job with 2 threes and good D.
4. Whitehead starting to come on.
5. Roach is clearly still feeling the toe injury.
6. Flip with some solid plays. He's playing hard and not forcing things.
7. Mitchell starting to heat up. He's a little reckless with his drives, but I like his energy.
8. Good win to get us back on track. The next step is to get a road win. At NC State Wed.

Last edited:
I didn't say they can't score on the road, I said they can't carry us on the road. Other guys need to step up. Esp as Roach is not 100 percent.

Reactions: Devilinside
@sheyduke we are getting you a Grandison jersey for Christmas btw….
Already bought one after he started shooting more 😂. If he simply shoots and doesn’t think about it he’s good . Not sold on his defense but I just want him to shoot .
Ryan young is balling old school style and I don’t think it’s Roaches toe as much as teams know he is a driver . You take away the lane and live with him shooting jump shots .

It would be amusing if Blakes declared and Roach and Proctor came back. Could we possibly get Roach, Blakes, Schutt, Mitchell, Young and Reeves back next year? My guess is Mitchell goes. But that's a nice core.

Good win today and the team looked good with Blake's, Whitehead and Mitchell on the floor. Put a lot of pressure on FS defense to either drive or shoot. Roach may be back just don't see him in the draft

Lively is what he is, if he gives us more than 5 pts, 5 rebounds, and a couple blocks then it’s a good game.

About Flip, when he’s on the floor with Blake’s and Whitehead, he’s not getting many, if any shots.

I think we’re getting better. I just didn’t want to use my post to say the same things that’s been repeated many times already.

At Raleigh will not be easy.

Reactions: christophero
Noticed a few games ago teams were drawing charges left and right on Flip when he would get the ball at the 3pt line and get going downhill. Remember the same happened to Zion years ago. Idk if that's something he can combat by pulling up before getting into his spin move or maybe start getting the ball on the block and going to work there.

I'm so happy for Young he is my favorite player on this team. When I watched games of him this summer I kept asking "what's the catch?" He didn't come from a small school and was putting up nice numbers against big 10 heavyweights. I knew he was a little slow but he just looked like a really good college center. If they re-ranked the top transfers he would definitely be in the top 20, maybe the top 10. He's performed better than Nance at UNC, Smith at Gonzaga and Baylor S at Creighton. He should help with us getting transfers in the future. It also takes pressure off Lively; as if we didn't have Young there would be a lot of heat on him. Plus Young seems like a pretty serious student, which is always nice to see. Him and Blakes will be leaders next year.

Last edited:
I'm so happy for Young he is my favorite player on this team. When I watched games of him this summer I kept asking "what's the catch?" He didn't come from a small school and was putting up nice numbers against big 10 heavyweights. I knew he was a little slow but he just looked like a really good college center. If they re-ranked the top transfers he would definitely be in the top 20, maybe the top 10. He's performed better than Nance at UNC, Smith at Gonzaga and Baylor S at Creighton. He should help with us getting transfers in the future. It also takes pressure off Lively; as if we didn't have Young there would be a lot of heat on him. Plus Young seems like a pretty serious student, which is always nice to see. Him and Blakes will be leaders next year.
Amen Chris!! OFC

At Raleigh will not be easy.
Never is.Seems they always play us like world beaters at their place. We look like a deer in the headlights. They despise us almost as much as UNC.Even in '15 our natty team was 14-0, and got blitzed there on a Sunday afternoon. I am enjoying this one today, and sipping on some spirits for the New Year. I will worry about State later though.

OFC

Hopefully Jon can prepare them for NC State, as he has been there for many buzzsaw moments. Jon has taken some heat this week but I thought he made some nice adjustments today; like starting Blakes and his strategic placement of Grandison. Young should move into the starting line up along with Blakes. Lively can sub in if we have trouble on D. I still like Mitchell at the 3, and then Whitehead can come in and give us bench scoring.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Hopefully Jon can prepare them for NC State, as he has been there for many buzzsaw moments. Jon has taken some heat this week but I thought he made some nice adjustments today; like starting Blakes and his strategic placement of Grandison. Young should move into the starting line up along with Blakes. Lively can sub in if we have trouble on D. I still like Mitchell at the 3, and then Whitehead can come in and give us bench scoring.
Yes Mitch looked good 2nd half, and Whitehead appears to be getting comfortable. His crossover move with Euro step and lay-in 1st half was special.

OFC

Mitchell and Whitehead are our x factors. I'm not sure about Lively and Proctor. They are both skilled but need a summer in the weight room. It was a little shocking seeing Proctor at PG after seeing Blakes in there. He seems so frail. Their games are entirely finesse at this point.

Mitchell and Whitehead are our x factors. I'm not sure about Lively and Proctor. They are both skilled but need a summer in the weight room. It was a little shocking seeing Proctor at PG after seeing Blakes in there. He seems so frail. Their games are entirely finesse at this point.
Blakes can score the ball from anywhere. Tyrese is only a scoring threat from about 12-15 ft in.

OFC

Absolutely love the way Young and Blakes are playing. Other than that, not much to be impressed with. We beat a very bad team.
Not to be negative, but Lively may be the worst top ranked recruit I’ve ever seen. I don’t get the number one ranked kid having no offensive ability.

Proctor has a bright future don't get me wrong. I just wonder how much he can give us this year.
He has to get over the FIBA style of play and he’s starting to, but when you don’t do one thing good consistent, it’s easy to game plan for you . He’s trying to be a true pg but much like lively , I don’t know if this team is best designed for his game .
Lively has to just simply be able to stay on the floor to get his confidence up.
Moving proctor to the bench is a good move . A lot of time left to figure things out .

And I’ll be shocked if he’s back next year, absolutely shocked…..
Fourteen I am sure he has a great upside. I simply do not think he's ready yet for this level of college hoops. I also would tend to agree with your prediction. I think he's going to have to improve his perimeter shot to get to another level.

OFC

Absolutely love the way Young and Blakes are playing. Other than that, not much to be impressed with. We beat a very bad team.
Not to be negative, but Lively may be the worst top ranked recruit I’ve ever seen. I don’t get the number one ranked kid having no offensive ability.
I can't help but think Blakes would be even better if given half a chance to see the floor last year. However he played behind THE GREAT OAD, Trevor Keels. OFC

Good win. Holding serve on our own floor in ACC play is always a positive. Blake’s and Ryan were terrific. The weak play from Roach (injured) and Proctor has me concerned though for better teams in our conference. Without strong guard play I think we will struggle against the top half of the conference.

Good win. Holding serve on our own floor in ACC play is always a positive. Blake’s and Ryan were terrific. The weak play from Roach (injured) and Proctor has me concerned though for better teams in our conference. Without strong guard play I think we will struggle against the top half of the conference.
Agreed. Roach seems lost out there. Spends a lot of time just dribbling at the top of the key. Missed repeated layups. Shot was clanging off the iron. He has a long way to go to be our "go to" guy. Hard to understand why Schutt did not get a few minutes at the end.

OFC

Any chance Lively comes back? I know everyone will say no but it could happen. People were predicting freshman year Mark Williams as his floor but it has been well below that so far. He could have a Mark type breakout but it is hard to see that happening. I thought the NBA values rim protection, rebounding and shooting from the outside in big men. If Lively keeps playing like this his stock will go down. He's already out of the top 20 in some mock drafts. He seems like a guy who could follow Mark's 2 year plan. I doubt it; but food for thought.

I doubt Lively comes back because someone will draft him late first round on that word, "potential". I do think that one of the 5 stars comes back but my mind on who it might be changes from week to week. As you know, in the not-too-distant past, every single one of them would have been projected to be back. IMO, none of them are remotely ready to compete for a starting spot at the next level and yea I know that is a Captain Obvious opinion.

I’d look for Mitchell to come back if any of them do . You could say Flip given his draft range won’t change between next year and this one .
Wiseman has done no favors for big men when it comes to drafting them using the word potential. Lively will put it together before the end of the season .

Agreed. Roach seems lost out there. Spends a lot of time just dribbling at the top of the key. Missed repeated layups. Shot was clanging off the iron. He has a long way to go to be our "go to" guy. Hard to understand why Schutt did not get a few minutes at the end.

OFC
Good points on Jeremy. Also if I were Schutt I would have been pissed. Scheyer made a coaching error there IMHO: Even though it was just garbage time vs FSU, it would have been nice to let Jaden see the floor vs ACC opponent. Never know if we'll need his shooting.

OFC

Last edited:
Roach could be back next year as well. The plan was probably to have a big junior year and then make the jump. But so far he looks like the guy he was last year. He's capable of being very good but he's so inconsistent. Flip has not played like an All ACC guy so far in conference, but a lot of season left. Not sure if it's the freshman wall or if teams have figured out his moves. Lively will probably go but he's hardly a sure thing. Whitehead will but it will be interesting to see how much explosiveness he gets back. The scouts like something in Proctor but if he shoots 20 percent from 3 that will raise some questions. Mitchell looks to me to be the most NBA ready. He's been hitting the 3 and is an elite slasher.

Good points on Jeremy. Also if I were Schutt I would have been pissed. Scheyer made a coaching error there too IMHO: Even though it was just garbage time vs FSU, it would have been nice to let Jaden see the floor vs ACC opponent. Never know if we'll need his shooting.

OFC

I agree, and also Reeves. I am convinced that with Lively's foul problems, there are going to be games where Reeves is going to be needed (UNX for one). As wonderful as Young is on offense, he won't be able to guard athletic bigs. Reeves is our starting center next year.

Roach could be back next year as well. The plan was probably to have a big junior year and then make the jump. But so far he looks like the guy he was last year. He's capable of being very good but he's so inconsistent. Flip has not played like an All ACC guy so far in conference, but a lot of season left. Not sure if it's the freshman wall or if teams have figured out his moves. Lively will probably go but he's hardly a sure thing. Whitehead will but it will be interesting to see how much explosiveness he gets back. The scouts like something in Proctor but if he shoots 20 percent from 3 that will raise some questions. Mitchell looks to me to be the most NBA ready. He's been hitting the 3 and is an elite slasher.
I wouldn’t say elite slasher . He can attack the basket but doesn’t do it at the level he needs to do it to produce in the league . His shot is like a line drive . He needs a little more lift on it . Even though he is making the majority he takes . His handles also worry me especially in traffic .
Everyone needs to remember proctor came early . I think the benching was very warranted given his lack of production on both ends.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I agree, and also Reeves. I am convinced that with Lively's foul problems, there are going to be games where Reeves is going to be needed (UNX for one). As wonderful as Young is on offense, he won't be able to guard athletic bigs. Reeves is our starting center next year.
Reeves could really be valuable to us too in certain situations as you noted Lift.

OFC

I think it would be smart, for a while, to have Flip work out of the post more often. The perimeter and even high post have been a challenge for him lately, and at times he can be a turnover machine. That said, he is very physical and pretty good around the rim. I'd like to see him getting his footing down low and then work his way back out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT