ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Honestly, I chalked this game up as a loss before we played. On the road against an angry team that's at home, wants revenge, is extremely well coached and plays the best defense in the country.

I'm so impressed with the focus and maturity of our team. We took mostly high percentage shots and played excellent team defense. Cam is more consistent, RJ has really improved his shot selection... Just really proud of the squad.

Reactions: DUKEFEDFAN
Honestly, I chalked this game up as a loss before we played. On the road against an angry team that's at home, wants revenge, is extremely well coached and plays the best defense in the country.

I'm so impressed with the focus and maturity of our team. We took mostly high percentage shots and played excellent team defense. Cam is more consistent, RJ has really improved his shot selection... Just really proud of the squad.

I was wrong about This game....I picked us by 8.

Nah they are better they unc. The issue for uva is that they dont match up with us. Against unc they could play their normal defense because unc doesnt really have anyone that we kill them attacking the rim. Plus they will be mad
Unx will score in the 50’s tomorrow night.

I was wondering the same damn thing.

Now now, Yates is a good dude... everyone has a bad call once in a while;)

Btw, anyone notice Jack White calling at the end there, when he was inbounding on the UVA baseline and called timeout? Did K actually look at him as he came to the huddle and tell him “You don’t call timeout there, I will.”?

I kinda felt the exact same way. Wanted it in the worst kind of way but that was a tall mountain to climb. Damn if these kids didn't climb it! Like the "Dawn Wall!"

I think Lebron being courtside gave our guys some extra fire.
I’d love to think Lebron is a big Duke fan (he respects K more than any other coach it seems) however this was a Clutch-Sports agency play.
Rich Paul (Lebrons best friend, runs Clutch) was right behind him. There was that story where Cam and Lebron had lunch together right before Cam committed. Lebrons son all in the news about wanting to come to Duke. There is a YouTube video of Bronny James’s AAU team hanging out with Zion in Durham.

Lebron is planting all the seeds because Duke is gonna be sending in BIG MONEY dudes into the league, Zion being the biggest fish of all.

I live in PAC 12 country, and was watching last night, and realized, Cam reddish would be the best player in that entire conference. He is the third option on offense, on our team. That’s crazy!

Reactions: dukehokie

Btw, anyone notice Jack White calling at the end there, when he was inbounding on the UVA baseline and called timeout? Did K actually look at him as he came to the huddle and tell him “You don’t call timeout there, I will.”?
Is that what he said? I was wondering what K was telling Jack there....

Duke is better defensively than Virginia.

Reactions: Hurley22
I was wondering the same damn thing.

We shot 62% from 3. Last game, a 41% team from three (they hit there average last night) shot 3-17. And that wasn't the defense. They just missed threes.
I don't feel bad, at all, for not accurately predicting the occurrence of two separate, WILDLY improbable, EXTREME statistical anomalies. They had their worst shooting night vs Duke, and we needed every miss, to win by 4 (pointless, unguarded final 2 notwithstanding).
Last night RJ hit his first 5 threes. I'm not sure he could do that in a shooting drill. More power to him, and good for us, but I don't feel bad for not predicting the exact time and place of a lightning strike. I essentially said, "lightening probably won't strike at this exact time, in this exact place" and folks are stroking themselves, and each other, because lightening did strike at the perfect time, in the perfect place.
What I will admit too is underestimating this team's ability to step up in big moments. For the majority of the OAD era at Duke, I've predicted that our guys would play better in tournament settings, or other big games, because that was a close approximation of the game they've played for most of their careers (and would play again in the NBA after their 1 year anomaly in college). For most of these guys, 80% or more of their games up till now "didn't matter." I mean, they did matter, but the guys would go at about 50% effort and cruise to wins most nights. They played better in big games vs other top opponents, and they stepped up their effort and focus once elimination games started. And, for most of the OAD era, I'd been wrong about that. 2015 as the lone exception, but Jones and Cook were responsible for most of that through Jones's clutch shooting, and Cook's leadership. So I sort of thought that the OAD's wouldn't step up in clutch moments, and that Tyus was an anomaly.
This team does step up in big moments. Cam and Zion noticeably so. With Zion, I think he's got too much of LeBron in him, in that he's always been told to be nice and not to hurt or embarrass his opponents. As such, he always holds a little back, until he needs it. Cam's effort seems proportional to team need, which is why I understand the complaints he got in this regard on the recruiting trail. He does some things, and seems to see the game, in a way that very few players with his measurables and skills and athleticism can match. He should be unstoppable, all the time, but isn't for some reason.
Then there is RJ, who has more than a little of the low grade sadism that Kobe and MJ seemed to possess. RJ wants to win, for the team, his teammates, himself, and the fans. But there is a tiny part of him that likes winning because it hurts his opponents. That they feel the pain of loss, of knowing that they are lesser compared to RJ. Kobe and Mike, as athletic and gifted as they were, never had the athletic gifts of other top players. They were close, but in a world of LeBron's, KDs, and Zions, the Kobe's and MJs and RJs are just not in that elite top tier of raw athletes. But their drive to win makes up for it. You can tell that RJ likes it when the other guy realizes that he's just not good enough. MJ loved it, indeed he reveled in it, in a low key manner. So did Kobe. They weren't demonstrative in their scorn, they just quietly basked in the pain of their defeated opponent. I think RJ has some of that, which is a good thing when channeled properly, as it almost certainly is with RJ.
This could be the year when the OADs really step up their play come March, or in big games. The two UNC games, and the ACCT, will be telling in this regard.

Patrick, that would have been a really good post had you just left this part out

"I don't feel bad, at all, for not accurately predicting the occurrence of two separate, WILDLY improbable, EXTREME statistical anomalies. They had their worst shooting night vs Duke, and we needed every miss, to win by 4 (pointless, unguarded final 2 notwithstanding). "

I may just be partial, but I like to think we play pretty damn good defense. People need to stop dancing around the obvious , it's out now. We're better than they are.

Patrick, that would have been a really good post had you just left this part out

"I don't feel bad, at all, for not accurately predicting the occurrence of two separate, WILDLY improbable, EXTREME statistical anomalies. They had their worst shooting night vs Duke, and we needed every miss, to win by 4 (pointless, unguarded final 2 notwithstanding). "

I may just be partial, but I like to think we play pretty damn good defense. People need to stop dancing around the obvious , it's out now. We're better than they are.
Exactly. Uva just doesnt match up with us. You can make a very legit argument that they are the second best team in the country. I dont dont think they will lose again until they play us in the acc final

Reactions: dukehokie

That’s not what happened. K was mad that Jack took the ball out, he said to him, “who’s supposed to take it out”, which is Zion. Hence the confusion in the moment. Glad Jack called the TO.

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie

We ARE better, but those two games against uva were our best chances of getting blown out.o_O

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie
We shot 62% from 3. Last game, a 41% team from three (they hit there average last night) shot 3-17. And that wasn't the defense. They just missed threes.
I don't feel bad, at all, for not accurately predicting the occurrence of two separate, WILDLY improbable, EXTREME statistical anomalies. They had their worst shooting night vs Duke, and we needed every miss, to win by 4 (pointless, unguarded final 2 notwithstanding).
Last night RJ hit his first 5 threes. I'm not sure he could do that in a shooting drill. More power to him, and good for us, but I don't feel bad for not predicting the exact time and place of a lightning strike. I essentially said, "lightening probably won't strike at this exact time, in this exact place" and folks are stroking themselves, and each other, because lightening did strike at the perfect time, in the perfect place.
What I will admit too is underestimating this team's ability to step up in big moments. For the majority of the OAD era at Duke, I've predicted that our guys would play better in tournament settings, or other big games, because that was a close approximation of the game they've played for most of their careers (and would play again in the NBA after their 1 year anomaly in college). For most of these guys, 80% or more of their games up till now "didn't matter." I mean, they did matter, but the guys would go at about 50% effort and cruise to wins most nights. They played better in big games vs other top opponents, and they stepped up their effort and focus once elimination games started. And, for most of the OAD era, I'd been wrong about that. 2015 as the lone exception, but Jones and Cook were responsible for most of that through Jones's clutch shooting, and Cook's leadership. So I sort of thought that the OAD's wouldn't step up in clutch moments, and that Tyus was an anomaly.
This team does step up in big moments. Cam and Zion noticeably so. With Zion, I think he's got too much of LeBron in him, in that he's always been told to be nice and not to hurt or embarrass his opponents. As such, he always holds a little back, until he needs it. Cam's effort seems proportional to team need, which is why I understand the complaints he got in this regard on the recruiting trail. He does some things, and seems to see the game, in a way that very few players with his measurables and skills and athleticism can match. He should be unstoppable, all the time, but isn't for some reason.
Then there is RJ, who has more than a little of the low grade sadism that Kobe and MJ seemed to possess. RJ wants to win, for the team, his teammates, himself, and the fans. But there is a tiny part of him that likes winning because it hurts his opponents. That they feel the pain of loss, of knowing that they are lesser compared to RJ. Kobe and Mike, as athletic and gifted as they were, never had the athletic gifts of other top players. They were close, but in a world of LeBron's, KDs, and Zions, the Kobe's and MJs and RJs are just not in that elite top tier of raw athletes. But their drive to win makes up for it. You can tell that RJ likes it when the other guy realizes that he's just not good enough. MJ loved it, indeed he reveled in it, in a low key manner. So did Kobe. They weren't demonstrative in their scorn, they just quietly basked in the pain of their defeated opponent. I think RJ has some of that, which is a good thing when channeled properly, as it almost certainly is with RJ.
This could be the year when the OADs really step up their play come March, or in big games. The two UNC games, and the ACCT, will be telling in this regard.
Unreal post man, i don’t even know where to begin but saying KD is more physically gifted than Kobe or MJ is beyond wrong.

Only caught the 2nd half yesterday so re-watching the whole game now. Get to halftime and tweedle dee and tweedle dum immediately start up praising UVA??? These buffoons continue to slay me. Greenbug emphatically "If UVA does these 20 things they are winning this game"! Lol.

Patrick I agree, Duke is pretty darned good.

I don't know how many more ways we can beat Virginia. We beat 'em at home, we beat 'em away. We beat 'em with Tre, we beat 'em without him. We beat 'em with us shooting horribly from 3, and we beat 'em with us on fire from 3. Maybe Duke is just better, or maybe Duke is just luckier. I'm going out on a limb and saying Duke is better.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT