ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS STEPHEN F AUSTIN OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

And we pretty much went to a 6 man rotation down the stretch. Expect it all season.

I am ok with it as Javin is simply not beneficial to have in the game. Played 6 mins last night and I’m good with that as his limit. AOC is just too inconsistent and Goldy is what he is. I would love for Baker to get more minutes considering he is likely the best or 2nd best 3pt shooter we have on this team. Jack’s energy around the ball and hustle are great and likely rubs off on teammates - he just needs to be more productive on the offensive end.

Morning after... I’m really not upset I’m excited for thanksgiving though! And I know next week when we go to MSU and win everybody will be smiling again. Lots of weird things happened in this game but it’s early! I still like our team a whole lot and think we have potential to be the best “team” we’ve had in a few years.

It sucked last night but I think our boys really did try so I’m fine with the result.

Only one real long term concern I saw from this game was FT’s. I’m not a believer that those are in season thing that can really get a lot better.

the rest I think we for sure can get better. It’s cool.

Been lurking this forum for years but finally decided to create an account.

1. Coach K needs to figure out how to coach an offense again. We’ve been super reliant on ISO ball the past few years and that’s worked because we’ve had players like Zion, Barrett, Ingram, Tatum, Winslow, Grayson, etc. No one on this team has that level of ball creation.

2. I love Tre but he really really needs to focus on running an offense that scoring. He’s been taking the worst shot in basketball too often (mid range jumper) and he hasn’t even been efficient at it. He also needs to be more careful with the ball. It’s really tough to consistently watch him fail to beat his defender off the dribble and take a bad shot or force a bad pass. Defensively, he’s nowhere near the same player he was last year. I understand he spends more time running the offense but he’s been getting beat of the dribble by decent college talents let alone the NBA talents he’s going to face later in the year.

3. Wendell Moore needs to figure his shit out. He plays 30+ minutes and is almost invisible all game. He played well against Georgetown but got lucky on some really bad shots. He has flashes of talent but really needs to do more without the ball in his hands.

4. Practice your free throws. Holy shit.

5. Most importantly, there is absolutely no role for Jack White in this team. He’s not the player who shot 40% and played great defense. He’s completely inept at basketball. Him being in the floor makes it harder for everyone to operate in the offense. Defensively he’s been awful. Awful decisions, getting beat and stupid decisions to help. Hurt’s role to this offense is so important because of his ability to space the floor. Final conclusion, please for the love of god, don’t put Jack White on the floor. Play Hurt or play small with Baker or O’Connell. I’d honestly love to see what Jrob can do with real minutes

6. I think we need to temper expectations for this team. This is not a #1 ranked team. We really lack the NBA talent we’ve been accustomed to. I don’t know if this team has any lottery players or even NBA rotation players.

Forgot to mention the positives. Stanley is a stud

A couple things and then I’m going away for a bit to recover.
1. I found it super annoying and unproductive that it seemed like literally everything needed to run through Tre. He always had to touch the ball. There was multiple times when we had a 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 advantage with Wendell/Stanley but they would give it up to Tre and we would lose our advantage.

2. The coaching last night...sheesh. I get it, it’s 1 game, and maybe K was trying to teach these guys to win through adversity. Butttt Jesus, call a timeout at the end when we can have another last shot. Every single one of our Out-of-Timeout plays was GARBAGE, they scored on all of theirs. Why the heck did we run a 2-3 zone for 1 play and gave up a three?? Why wasn’t Vernon in more? They had no one who could stop him.

Reactions: Fourteen44
The only positive to take away from last night...all teams suck this year, not a single team in the country is loaded, so we can still win it all.

The first thing we should probably do to improve our title chances is to understand that all 5 guys can’t go for an offensive rebound every play, never in my life have I seen so many run outs.
Most of them were on Tre, the last play was on Jack, what in god’s name was he thinking??

The only positive to take away from last night...all teams suck this year, not a single team in the country is loaded, so we can still win it all.

The first thing we should probably do to improve our title chances is to understand that all 5 guys can’t go for an offensive rebound every play, never in my life have I seen so many run outs.
Most of them were on Tre, the last play was on Jack, what in god’s name was he thinking??
Exactly what I told my wife last night. I dont see anyone to be scared of. Looks like every team is vulnerable so far.

Agree with you college basketball sucks, oad has killed it. This duke team is not very good.

Uk fan here........that's what happens when a young team takes another team too lightly........I know..been there...All majors will play better against another ranked major.. Duke and UK will be there in April with only a few Conference losses. (Just take out UL)

Even Stephen A Smith just said it's not a big deal, Duke would be fine. People are over reacting. Duke is just as a good team as any other top ten team.

You are exactly right as always. Wish you were our coach. OFC
You can keep kissing his behind when it’s full of ish if you want. I will not. When he get out coached I’m going to let it be known. The team played like the game was supposed to be given to them. They’re young. There’s no way Vernon shouldn’t have touched the ball every trip down in overtime. That falls on coaching. It’s basketball though. It’s easy to get upset in basketball. It is what it is

Gonna learn a lot soon, @ MSU and @vt. Could get ugly fast
Cut it out. We will be fine. MSU doesn’t look too hot. We just look disinterested against these smaller schools. And in basketball when the other team gets confidence talent goes out the window. They believe and become hard to beat

What little experience we have ( outside of Tre) saw limited time. Jav always gives 100% so maybe he could have helped energize or change the flow, Robinson wasnt given any chance yet he is a senior captain...again, could have helped get the team on track....Joey saw 3 mins...probably our best outside shooter. AOC...6 mins. If this is how the team responds to being challenged, and the coaches, then we are going to have a long season. I remember times the whole starting 5 were benched to send a message. Didnt happen. 6 deep this early against this opposition is a worrying sign for a team that was meant to be 8-10 deep.

This team has talent and room to grow and I hope they will but the past couple of years issues that have ailed us in November seemed to still ail is in March.

While everyone can score, for the most part, I really don’t know who we want with the ball in their hands in a last possession scenario. That guy that we are like go get us a bucket and win this game.

none of it will matter if they don’t learn to shoot free throws. That always kills you in March.

Friday can’t get here soon enough That’s for sure.

Reactions: Liftee
I am not sure what some see as not interested or lack of energy........Duke players were slapping the floor, they were ready for the fight, they just got outplayed and out coached, it sucks but it is what it is. Moore is the only player out there that seems to think he is to cool to do the dirty work. Hopefully during film session he will see how foolish he looks trying to go one on one every time he touches the ball and off ball defense is atrocious.

Calm down folks we will be ok cause some here say so....you know the same ones that actually think Jacob and AOC have a chance to contribute...don't worry K will snap his fingers and everything will be fine....right guys?

Been lurking this forum for years but finally decided to create an account.

1. Coach K needs to figure out how to coach an offense again. We’ve been super reliant on ISO ball the past few years and that’s worked because we’ve had players like Zion, Barrett, Ingram, Tatum, Winslow, Grayson, etc. No one on this team has that level of ball creation.

2. I love Tre but he really really needs to focus on running an offense that scoring. He’s been taking the worst shot in basketball too often (mid range jumper) and he hasn’t even been efficient at it. He also needs to be more careful with the ball. It’s really tough to consistently watch him fail to beat his defender off the dribble and take a bad shot or force a bad pass. Defensively, he’s nowhere near the same player he was last year. I understand he spends more time running the offense but he’s been getting beat of the dribble by decent college talents let alone the NBA talents he’s going to face later in the year.

3. Wendell Moore needs to figure his shit out. He plays 30+ minutes and is almost invisible all game. He played well against Georgetown but got lucky on some really bad shots. He has flashes of talent but really needs to do more without the ball in his hands.

4. Practice your free throws. Holy shit.

5. Most importantly, there is absolutely no role for Jack White in this team. He’s not the player who shot 40% and played great defense. He’s completely inept at basketball. Him being in the floor makes it harder for everyone to operate in the offense. Defensively he’s been awful. Awful decisions, getting beat and stupid decisions to help. Hurt’s role to this offense is so important because of his ability to space the floor. Final conclusion, please for the love of god, don’t put Jack White on the floor. Play Hurt or play small with Baker or O’Connell. I’d honestly love to see what Jrob can do with real minutes

6. I think we need to temper expectations for this team. This is not a #1 ranked team. We really lack the NBA talent we’ve been accustomed to. I don’t know if this team has any lottery players or even NBA rotation players.

That was a mouthful. A few questionable takes but I get it. I agree with the J Rob part. He should play. Alex has become unplayable. But jack definitely should play. He does everything except score. We need to play him with Vernon and Matt with Javin. Last night we just didn’t have the necessary intensity to win. They had the confidence and played harder than us

That was a mouthful. A few questionable takes but I get it. I agree with the J Rob part. He should play. Alex has become unplayable. But jack definitely should play. He does everything except score. We need to play him with Vernon and Matt with Javin. Last night we just didn’t have the necessary intensity to win. They had the confidence and played harder than us

JRob has zero business on the floor...Jacob should play 5 min max...AOC 5 min max

JRob should play why? Cause his dad was great?

1. We have a few guys on our team that just aren't very good. People keep saying they're disappointed with their lack of development from year to year, but they just are what they are and you have to play with what you have.

2. I think our guys just took SFA too lightly and are probably looking ahead at MSU. Hopefully this loss has caused them to pay more attention to Winthrop.

3. I know there are those on this board who think the coaching staff is absolutely beyond critique, but thinking mistakes were made doesn't mean you think you'd be a better coach than K. It seems to me that in recent years in-game coaching has really taken a back seat to letting the players execute what they learn in practice. It doesn't seem as if we run nearly as many offensive sets as we used to. This was - by far - my biggest complaint of last year; we just rolled the ball out there and let RJ and Tre do what they could and Zion clean it up. Did we run anything for Zion? Did we make it a point that Zion must touch the ball at least once on offensive possessions? Zion was insane, but he got his through his own athleticism and work ethic, not because the staff made it a point to get him the ball.

I am not that upset either. Disappointed yes, but not upset. I never thought we were the # 1 team in the country anyway. This year is wide open with 15-20 teams that could cut down the nets in April. I think we are a good team but a work in progress with ups and downs throughout the season. Yes, we played like crap but SFA came to play and they are a decent team. They had a down year last season but their program is up as you can see by their NCAA Tournament appearances.

We are not a great team and I do not expect us to be but, I expect us to grow as the season progresses.

Losing the recruit Ellis along w AOC not giving 10-15 minutes of consistent bench production has been a problem. Yes I wish we had Bolton for rim protection but small ball will work if you have the guards.I expect Jordan to start getting more PT.

Hate to say it but I did say to temper expectations after the KU game. Our defense isn’t legit like many of you thought. Pair that with a mediocre offense and you get a sweet 16:elit 8 exit. Honestly, it’s who we’ve become. We recruit stars, not players. It’s sad but it is what it is.
Virginia once lost to UMBC. Does that mean their defense wasn’t really good? Little emotional last night huh? We had the wrong scheme and once that team got confidence they became hard to beat. It’s basketball. Upsets happen a lot in a one game scenario

It’s going to alright - I think we all need to accept that college ball is so open this year. I won’t be shocked if Duke loses 10 games and yet I won’t be shocked if they lose 3-4.

JRob has zero business on the floor...Jacob should play 5 min max...AOC 5 min max

He always seems to do good things when he’s on the floor. Javin does nothing on the floor majority of the time. I don’t see a drop off there. I don’t know who Jacob is. I didn’t say play J Rob 15 minutes. You can throw him out there and see what he can get done in a 4 minute window. If he doesn’t produce then back to the bench. It’s early in the season. You’re trying to find out what people will do in situations. Wins and losses aren’t a big deal now

Last night was the definition of basketball coaching insanity - throwing the same players onto the floor and expecting a different result. A change or two to attempt to control the game or alter its course is what was expected....but never happened. No changes, same result...Robinson against this opposition would have been fine...and a change for SFA.

When Coach K didn't call time out, I figured it was because if he did, SFA might go back to the zone defense that Duke couldn't attack all night, let alone in a 10 second offense. That didn't surprise me and I'm OK with it.

I'm not OK with a bunch of 5 star guys not being able to shoot free throws, and not being able to beat their man off the dribble, or to stay in front of their man, or in one guy's case, not being able to handle a pass to win the game. Those are the things that are all on our players and I don't know if they can learn those skills before they go off to the G league (except for Carey, who may be the only one who is NBA ready).

We brag on Tre, and he is good. But he wasn’t last night. He struggled to keep his man in front of him, and he had 8 turnovers. He played all 45 minutes too.
If we improve as a team, he has to be the rock.

We brag on Tre, and he is good. But he wasn’t last night. He struggled to keep his man in front of him, and he had 8 turnovers. He played all 45 minutes too.
If we improve as a team, he has to be the rock.

I’m sure he will be. One bad game.

Losing the recruit Ellis along w AOC not giving 10-15 minutes of consistent bench production has been a problem. Yes I wish we had Bolton for rim protection but small ball will work if you have the guards.I expect Jordan to start getting more PT.

If you’ve seen Boogie at Memphis, he’s not the answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT