ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS STEPHEN F AUSTIN OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I love the effort these kids give. We were outplayed. They scored 81 in regulation on what, 2 3’s, and we never were able to stop them. I think if everyone is honest, the concern going forward is will we really improve enough?
I read the comments. K will chew some a**, I’d hate to be in the locker room, we will adjust and win going away...but the issues with the last few teams in November wind up being the same things that do us in come March. That’s what has me concerned.
Will we improve.

I love the effort these kids give. We were outplayed. They scored 81 in regulation on what, 2 3’s, and we never were able to stop them. I think if everyone is honest, the concern going forward is will we really improve enough?
I read the comments. K will chew some a**, I’d hate to be in the locker room, we will adjust and win going away...but the issues with the last few teams in November wind up being the same things that do us in come March. That’s what has me concerned.
Will we improve.

This is a great post and 100 percent accurate!

How am i supposed to sleep when i feel like a ball of fire???
Lol, I'm hoping like a golf ball and not a basketball. Quicker to out out right lol? I feel you man. I can't do nothing but laugh right now.

Will we improve.

This is what concerns me most these days. It is a bit unsettling to see Alex, Jack, and Javin not be any better than they've been the last few years.

Reactions: jamsession3
Not that we didn’t deserve to lose this one but grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Oh well. Defense didn't bring the intensity and Tre played the worst game of his career. I'm not really surprised by some of the decisions Coach K made. I expect it now.

source.gif

I'm grateful to our mods. I know you must have had a rough night. OFC

Eh, what can you do. Sometimes a team loses. Honestly, it’s not like anyone who watched this Duke team really thought they were a number one team... only two reliable scorers, and role players who largely haven’t developed or gotten any better... that win vs Kansas was luck as much as anything else. A loss teaches a lot more than a win, and at this point it’s more important for this team to learn, because they need it. Fingers crossed K can figure out how to smooth out the offense and make it more efficient.

Reactions: jamsession3
Eh, what can you do. Sometimes a team loses. Honestly, it’s not like anyone who watched this Duke team really thought they were a number one team... only two reliable scorers, and role players who largely haven’t developed or gotten any better... that win vs Kansas was luck as much as anything else. A loss teaches a lot more than a win, and at this point it’s more important for this team to learn, because they need it. Fingers crossed K can figure out how to smooth out the offense and make it more efficient.

Our true deficiencies showed up. Player development is our only answer.

Sadly, if we won it would only motivate our egos, not acknowledge the team's true identity!

Will we improve.

Do you think Duke can’t improve? The easiest fix for stopping interior scoring is double teaming, going zone, etc. It’s not an improvement issue, it’s a game plan issue.

We can throw the words “be honest” and “it’s pretty clear” around about Duke’s defense actually being bad instead of good, but it’s a 1-game sample. Duke has proven with this particular team that the defense is solid. Sometimes you need more of a game plan to aid the skill that you already have.

It’s more likely that Winthrop beats us by 20 on Friday than Duke will not improve their defense going forward. The team will learn from this.

I’m far more concerned about the free throw shooting. That was a hideous display.

I know some may not have liked that we go zone, only to have them hit a 3, but I thought it was a good move by K that just didn’t work out. We surely weren’t stopping them the other way.
And how about the kid that hit one of their 3’s. A former player from NJIT. Wow. The New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Do you think Duke can’t improve? The easiest fix for stopping interior scoring is double teaming, going zone, etc. It’s not an improvement issue, it’s a game plan issue.

We can throw the words “be honest” and “it’s pretty clear” around about Duke’s defense actually being bad instead of good, but it’s a 1-game sample. Duke has proven with this particular team that the defense is solid. Sometimes you need more of a game plan to aid the skill that you already have.

It’s more likely that Winthrop beats us by 20 on Friday than Duke will not improve their defense going forward. The team will learn from this.

I’m far more concerned about the free throw shooting. That was a hideous display.

Yea. I can’t believe how many FT’s that were missed! I mean if we had just made a few more of those, then it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that Duke would have still won the game.

Reactions: dukehokie

Maybe we can improve. I didn’t say we wouldn’t. But you have no reason to believe we will improve like we need to, no more than to say we won’t. That’s why I said it was my concern. I didn’t say we are doomed.
I hope this team does what the last few didn’t do, and that is improve.
And free throw shooting? Just as bad as the last few teams.

I know some may not have liked that we go zone, only to have them hit a 3, but I thought it was a good move by K that just didn’t work out. We surely weren’t stopping them the other way.
And how about the kid that hit one of their 3’s. A former player from NJIT. Wow. The New Jersey Institute of Technology.

The zone came 15 minutes too late. That trap zone we deployed with Ingram’s team might be effective with this squad. I could care less if we see it in November. I hope it’s an option in March.

Maybe we can improve. I didn’t say we wouldn’t. But you have no reason to believe we will improve like we need to, no more than to say we won’t. That’s why I said it was my concern. I didn’t say we are doomed.
I hope this team does what the last few didn’t do, and that is improve.
And free throw shooting? Just as bad as the last few teams.

It would be fortune telling to say either scenario would happen, but there’s a larger sample size saying this is a good defensive team.

Reactions: SWEc/o95
I didn't get to see the game,needless to say,I was shocked when I saw the box score this morning.Looks like free throws are going to be an issue again this year.Our defense had been coming along very well so far but it looks like we were man handled in the paint.K will figure this out,on to Winthrop,I expect to see a very different Duke team on Friday.

SFA played some damn good defense as well. But regardless of Carey's free throw problems, he has to be in the game that last possession. Most reliable offensive option we have right now. I'll take a chance to win it at the line over what happened.

And we pretty much went to a 6 man rotation down the stretch. Expect it all season.

I don’t think there is need to panic as of yet. It was a really bad loss that came because we where really bad at turning the ball over and making free throws...In terms of improvement those are two things that are more easily correctable. Eight turnovers from Tre was terrible..I don’t expect that to happen much if at all ever again.

The defense wasn’t great but take away probably 30 pts off turnovers and make half of the free throws we missed and we win going alway.

We lost because we where terrible. Lump in a few really questionable coaching decisions and we couldn’t overcome it this time.

Overall all three things are probably the most easily correctable. Value the ball, Make FT, and coaching needs to make better decisions to help these guys down the stretch.

I feel pretty good about those things being better going forward.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
Also have to get Tre a breather every now and then. All of his shots including his free throws were coming up short. Even the two he made towards the end hit the front of the rim first. He can't continue to play a high level of on ball defense and run the offense effectively without rest.

Well, based on the last 5 minutes of action....coach K expects Tre to beat his guy 1 on 1 and create scoring plays for everyone....there was no other option and he was not able to do it. Give SFA credit, they flat out maned up and took it to Duke.

SFA set high screen in roll after another and we continue to go over the top of it when they did not want to shoot 3’s....not sure why but that is one adjustment I would have made. At least make them prove they can make it before I give up.....oh wait, they just scored again in the paint.

Been lurking this forum for years but finally decided to create an account.

1. Coach K needs to figure out how to coach an offense again. We’ve been super reliant on ISO ball the past few years and that’s worked because we’ve had players like Zion, Barrett, Ingram, Tatum, Winslow, Grayson, etc. No one on this team has that level of ball creation.

2. I love Tre but he really really needs to focus on running an offense that scoring. He’s been taking the worst shot in basketball too often (mid range jumper) and he hasn’t even been efficient at it. He also needs to be more careful with the ball. It’s really tough to consistently watch him fail to beat his defender off the dribble and take a bad shot or force a bad pass. Defensively, he’s nowhere near the same player he was last year. I understand he spends more time running the offense but he’s been getting beat of the dribble by decent college talents let alone the NBA talents he’s going to face later in the year.

3. Wendell Moore needs to figure his shit out. He plays 30+ minutes and is almost invisible all game. He played well against Georgetown but got lucky on some really bad shots. He has flashes of talent but really needs to do more without the ball in his hands.

4. Practice your free throws. Holy shit.

5. Most importantly, there is absolutely no role for Jack White in this team. He’s not the player who shot 40% and played great defense. He’s completely inept at basketball. Him being in the floor makes it harder for everyone to operate in the offense. Defensively he’s been awful. Awful decisions, getting beat and stupid decisions to help. Hurt’s role to this offense is so important because of his ability to space the floor. Final conclusion, please for the love of god, don’t put Jack White on the floor. Play Hurt or play small with Baker or O’Connell. I’d honestly love to see what Jrob can do with real minutes

6. I think we need to temper expectations for this team. This is not a #1 ranked team. We really lack the NBA talent we’ve been accustomed to. I don’t know if this team has any lottery players or even NBA rotation players.

Reactions: jwill133
This loss was full of we needed to do this and didn’t do that. Make at least a few more of our free throws and we would be discussing a W. Stopping at least a couple of the endless breakaways they made on us for uncontested baskets would have been helpful too. I’m as frustrated as a lot of you on here but I’ll just go with the motto of live and learn and hope they learned a lot last night:)

Reactions: Kobe #1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT