ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SOUTH CAROLINA NCAA 2ND RD OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Status
Not open for further replies.

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
I had the last one listed as second round because I get all confused (and feel like it changes every year) of the "First Four" or first round/second round - whatever, now we're onto the second round!

South Carolina will be a tough opponent, no doubt - but I like the way we match up. South Carolina is a grind it out (although you wouldn't know it from its win over Marquette) defensive team oriented team. They're schedule however, is sort of all over the map. They have some grind it out games and some high scoring games - which leads me to believe they're a bit erratic, too. Regardless, they're well coached and I have no doubt will bring their A game on Sunday night.

SC is led by senior guard, Sindarius Thornwell. Thornwell had 29 in the win over Marquette and is averaging just over 21 for the season. Shutting Thornwell down and keeping the Gamecocks off the offensive glass will be a big key to victory.

On the other hand, it's more of the same from Duke. If we can continue to hit perimeter shots we are extremely hard to beat. I do think we need a better game from Kenard tonight but Grayson has to keep up his hot play.

All in all, I think we get the win tonight but it'll be a hard-fought battle. Survive and advance.

Tonight's game is slated for an 8:40 pm est tip and will air on TNT.

Duke 77

South Carolina 70

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: BettisND and Dad2ze
Duke 80
SC 72

After watching the SC/Marquette game and the way they pretty much shut Marquette down late in the second half, I'm a little nervous but I still believe we win and go to the Sweet 16.

This one could be close. I think the strength and speed of Duke will wear them down late. I don't see anyone stopping Tatum.

Duke - 75
USC - 69

Duke wins 82-72 after coming back after halftime. Foul shooting is the key to victory. I expect complaints about the calls from SC fans (common for fans at football schools who don't really understand basketball).

Reactions: Baller224 and dbav
I anticipate a grind it out "Virginia" type game w/Tatum being the difference maker.

Duke-69
USC-62

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
It's certainly justified given our season to think we may come out flat, disorganized, sloppy and seemingly unmotivated. We have seen this sort of thing a lot in the middle the season, and during that run I think like many of us I certainly wondered which Duke team would show up for any given game. But I really think we are past that. We have been cohesive and committed to K's concepts since the beginning of the ACCT. We have fallen behind and fought back to win multiple times.....against top 10 teams. Check out the bench during the UL, UNC, and ND games. This is NOT the team we were in February. Team D has been much better.

It's unlikely that all our offensive threats are clicking on any given night, but it's equally unlikely that all of them are "off". Grayson, Tatum, Luke are formidable. Add Jackson, and it's a quadruple threat. Sprinkle in a little Giles and Matt Jones and we are unstoppable......by anyone! Play some good team D, toss in a little zone to control dribble drives, and we got this.

Duke 82
USC 71

Expect every team's best shot, win and advance. Go Duke!

Alan

I think in the beginning the game will be close but Duke shows it's strength and pulls away for the win.

Duke: 78
USC: 64

Let's Go Duke!!

Look, we pay the refs. CBS wants us to make the FF. The NCAA gave us the worst 1 seed so they would lose early. All conspiracy theories are in full effect. Duke will win by default.

Duke 72
SC 62

SC can't score with us, that should be the ultimate difference. But I want to see how Duke handles those 3-4 minute lulls where the ball isn't going into the basket. Our MO has been to let teams back into it by giving up easy buckets in the lane in transition when our shots aren't falling. It would be a great sign to see us holding those leads with solid D during those stretches,

We don't lose to a mediocre SEC team. Duke by 14.
The Cocks were great in the middle of the season and in the last 8 minutes of the Marquette game. Let's hope they aren't hitting threes. We know Sindarius is going to ball. If Notice, Felder or Gravett get hot, we need to play up on them and rebound like champs. We can let Dozier shoot all he wants, just keep him out the lane. They are streaky. Have to clamp down at the right times.

Amile can draw fouls on Silva easily. We need to give Amile post touches early to put Silva on the bench. Then we can get open threes easily with Kotsar lumbering around.

The Cocks were great in the middle of the season and in the last 8 minutes of the Marquette game. Let's hope they aren't hitting threes. We know Sindarius is going to ball. If Notice, Felder or Gravett get hot, we need to play up on them and rebound like champs. We can let Dozier shoot all he wants, just keep him out the lane. They are streaky. Have to clamp down at the right times.

Amile can draw fouls on Silva easily. We need to give Amile post touches early to put Silva on the bench. Then we can get open threes easily with Kotsar lumbering around.
Nice scouting report Denver.

This one will be close early with duke pulling away. The shots have to fall for this one to be comfortable.

Living is SC I have a lot of Cock friends who are pro Duke but today they all want blood. Some say this is the biggest game played in SC decades. They have the crowd and the Turd Heel fans backing them to boot but we are battle test, we have Coack K and we ARE Duke.

We win a dogfight!

Come out focused and ready to play and we will be just fine

And please show up today Luke...you were due a bad game and had one...need you today

The Cocks will be ready to go from the tip. They'll try to drive it right up the middle, go backdoor, and bang with us down low. They'll be overeager, though, shooting all over the place, and they'll fade down the stretch.

I like Duke to advance. I am a bit concerned about it turning into a road game. Vegas set Duke as a 7 point favorite though, and that really makes me feel good about Duke winning tonight. UK is only giving Wich. St 3.5 and L'ville is only giving Mich 3. So Duke giving 7, in what is pretty much a road game, is a good sign IMO.

The Cocks will be ready to go from the tip. They'll try to drive it right up the middle, go backdoor, and bang with us down low. They'll be overeager, though, shooting all over the place, and they'll fade down the stretch.

Your breakdown is pure genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT