ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS FLORIDA STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

You guys that have been here a while know I dislike stall ball unless you use it to score and extend the lead. FSU executed stall ball to perfection tonight. Also I talk about clutch time free throws. If you look at the stats FSU's percentage wasn't that great overall but they hit those clutch time free throws. Fats off to FSU. They man handled us tonight. I really thought we would win. Next game. OFC
I thought we were going to win also. When Duke took the 50-48 lead I felt pretty confident but it quickly evaporated! Oh Well! We lost! I'll never give up this Duke team, not any Duke team EVER!!! Onto the next one.

Let's Go Duke!!

Reactions: skysdad
Well at least there are no true road games in the big dance. Was going to be tough to win this one with Amile let alone trying to do it without him. Hopefully we will be healthy when they come to Cameron to see if it affects the outcome.
Don't see us winning at Louisville either. Without a real under control point guard they are going to struggle with Louisville 's d

I apologize for my being negative guys. I love Duke with a passion and I get my hopes up to much sometimes and this team really had me pumped before the year. The hardest thing right now is the preseason hype and looking at an epic fail team thus far and knowing the country is loving it. I still love em , and hope they can get it together and prove everyone wrong including me right now.

We haven't played well since the freshmen came back...the team that played against Kansas with Frank was better than this by a huge margin....

We loose at Louisville. All they do is attack the basket.
This team is scary to the point that with all the hype you match them up a mid major with one decent big and two good guards they could go home first round due to their lack of communication and effort.

I think we should put all the freshmen on the floor the last 3 minutes of a game like this. Let them toughen up or get embarrassed

Reactions: pisgah101
No mental toughness. Looks like they folded like a pup tent. Take some pride in playing defense.

I remember when Duke used to be known for its defense. Wow have times changed.

We are flat track bullies right now.....english term...can beat the weak teams and look great but crumble when faced with good opposition...we'll see Saturday if they are quick learners and can play with a chip on their shoulder.

Reactions: dukehokie
I apologize for my being negative guys. I love Duke with a passion and I get my hopes up to much sometimes and this team really had me pumped before the year. The hardest thing right now is the preseason hype and looking at an epic fail team thus far and knowing the country is loving it. I still love em , and hope they can get it together and prove everyone wrong including me right now.
Eh.. more like U.K. Fans an hole fans. They seem to be the only ones that care more if Duke loses than their team winning. Also we don't play in the ratchet SEC! And be thankful we don't.

Realistically they might be the 6th or 7th best team in the ACC. FSU, UNC, Notre Dame, UVA, Virginia Tech are better than Duke. They need a lot of work.

The bright side is, the media will be so focused on us getting blown out, they won't have to make up any tripping insidences.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Here's the thing fellas, we ALL saw this coming. Almost all of us knew FSU had the team and environment to blow us out tonight, especially with our lack-luster defense.

NOW, here's the good news. The winningest coach is sitting/laying down right now taking notes on how to turn this thing around. Do you think he was just twiddling his fingers? Nah. Expect him and Capel to be talking this one over.

Wasn't K in the hospital just last year or the year before and the staff said they could barely keep him in his bed and calm while watching a game?

Trust in K.

Reactions: Dukesince90
didnt expect to win this one. But the thing that is bothering me this year is the same as the last 10 years. Why is it so hard for duke to play defense? Does the staff not coach it anymore? Outside of 2010 and the end of 2015, duke has looked like total trash on defense.

Fellows we just cannot hang with a team like FSU that just made us look totally overmatched. I have been extremely impressed with FSU and their whole basketball program. They have players as good or better than anyone in the country, excellent coaching as always in Hamilton, they are as athletic as an NBA team and probably bigger than some, they have excellent guard play, shot makers, shot blockers galore, they dunk like Phi Slama Jama. FSU made us look very average compared to their talent. So dammed disappointed in what we thought was going to be a great once in a lifetime team. I am at a total loss about this team and have no idea of what to expect going forward even with Jefferson. I feel rather foolish about what my expectations were. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but it sucks.

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
who is going to draft our bigs right now? These guys might not be going anywhere. Giles looks 75% with 2 injury prone knees and Marques looks slow and robotic.

I think our freshman need to understand that they are not playing high school ball anymore and are not playing against high school players anymore. They are playing against men especially tonight. OFC
Men with NBA type bodies and talent.

Reactions: skysdad
didnt expect to win this one. But the thing that is bothering me this year is the same as the last 10 years. Why is it so hard for duke to play defense? Does the staff not coach it anymore? Outside of 2010 and the end of 2015, duke has looked like total trash on defense.

I know there are some that will scorch you for hinting that K is anything but perfect but our defense has been an issue for a very long period of time. I love being a fan of Duke and Coach K is still the greatest, but we simply do not defend the ball well and we haven't for a long period of time

Crazy I fully understand what you mean and I'm right there with you. I am so damed depressed now compared to how I felt in October.

I can deal with a loss, especially to this FSU team, it's just hard watching this group of kids be so nonchalant and lazy. Half look scared and the other half is worried about who can score the most points so scouts will see them. Even as good of a leader as Amile is, a few games he spent complaining more than hustling. There are a lot of things needing to happen in a hurry. I am most disappointed in Tatum. Too much of a ball hog, and makes silly decisions. He needs to be sat down by some guys like Grant Hill and Shane Battier.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
VA Tech/FSU - do they have 5 star McD AA's? We get very excited with recruiting yet teams with more 3/4's whip us. Maybe we should look at recruiting a true balance and not chase so many of the OAD's....I love Duke but its the old Duke that made me...the tenacious D and the great team play. 2015 was fun but unexpected....it would be great to see us roll back to the old Duke principles IMO. The last 5-7 years have been tough to watch..this year looks like it will be the same

We need a shot blocker and 4 other guys who are going to scrap for every 50/50 ball and give everything they have to defense. It's not talent it's a mentality. I said it earlier ill say it again. How many easy layups did we get in the second half? 0 that I can remember. How many did we give up? A million when I stopped counting. It's the little bit of effort between finishing 2 feet from a guy and being up on him that changes an uncontested layup into a much tougher one. They had 5 guys cycling to the rim at all times on both sides. We had one guy Jeter coming up for help defense and 4 others staring and watching us get dunked on. Until that changes, we will be a middle of the road team. Man up
Reading your post makes one realize how much we were out coached and outplayed tonight.

If memeory serves me correctly, this was the same thing you said to me over the phone a while back and we won the title that year. Hopefully it's the same this year.

Our freshmen aren't so hot and need a lot. Tatum needs to look at the tape and integrate. Frank needs more makes and a few less fakes. Harry needs to set screens and rebound mean. Bolden needs a faster pace and a slap in the face.

Our freshmen aren't so hot and need a lot. Tatum needs to look at the tape and integrate. Frank needs more makes and a few less fakes. Harry needs to set screens and rebound mean. Bolden needs a faster pace and a slap in the face.

And the odd bounce to go our way and our GOAT coach to be okay

I hate the over negative. The duke scout board is A horrible place because of this. But the defense has been bad for too long.

Like you I feel the same about k and duke, but the commitment to defense continually bothers me. What I loved about duke since I started following them in the late 80s was the effort on defense. Each duke team should have their own identity but tough defense should always be a part of that.

Hope to see more of jeter because he is committed to filling a defensive role despite his current weaknesses.

I know there are some that will scorch you for hinting that K is anything but perfect but our defense has been an issue for a very long period of time. I love being a fan of Duke and Coach K is still the greatest, but we simply do not defend the ball well and we haven't for a long period of time

For Grayson to stay sane, and Amile to heal his sprain!

Reactions: DukeDenver
I think that some of what people are passing off as impossible-to-quantify stuff like "heart" and "hustle" and "desire" are actually more like the other guy just being physically bigger and longer and more athletic and developed. A lot of seriously strong, big, quick guys on that FSU team. I feel like we usually have a lot of high skill guys, but we don't always have the serious athletes like other teams. When we do (guys like Winslow) they tend to do well, but... And that physical advantage shows both when playing D against guys who are not as much physical specimens, and also trying to defend that type, where length, strength, and foot speed are so important. And that is where we struggled; they bothered us on D, and drove past and out jumped a number of our guys on O.

I don't think our guys don't care or are being out hearted or out hustled... I think that physically some of them just aren't at the same level as a lot of the FSU guys. We might need to recruit some more physical athletes, and play them.

(Age helped them too, a little... They had some guys who were older and more physically developed too.)

Last edited:
Luke, Grayson, Amile have it but they don't get the chance
We have those guys, but that team admired Quinn and he had a glow about him that made the team rally around him and I honestly believe that 15 team played their hearts out to see him go out a winner. Those freshmen loved him. I don't think these freshmen care that much about the upper classmen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT