ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden trending for Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol no he isn't

While I'll give you that Frank's not the next coming of Ricky Rubio, I just don't buy that Thornton would be transferring (+ be willing to sit out the year) if our staff had been willing to assure him that he'd be the starting PG next season -- as opposed to a guy who would be stuck competing for a starting role, and may have to split PG responsibilities with one or more players. The fact that the DT's transferring suggest to me that, at a minimum, the staff told him that he'd have to compete with Frank for a starting spot / minutes -- which, in turn, leads me to believe that they feel confident that Frank could play point. If the staff agreed with your assessment of Frank, I just don't see any scenario where they would have allowed DT to leave based on concerns about his role. From reading what the Thornton camp has been saying since the transfer, it seems pretty clear to me that DT's leaving b/c Duke's staff wasn't willing to commit to him as the unquestioned PG of the team.

I think so too Aah. And if you read Ingram's blog where he announced his jump to the NBA he mentions one of the things he liked about K and Duke was that the staff never promised him anything. He would have to "earn" his playing time and roll on the team. I would only assume K and staff say the same to every recruit and very likely every returning player on the team knows that's the way K rolls. That's a lot of pressure for these kids. Some thrive on it, some I can only imagine feel threatened by it.

I hope Chase is working his tail off this offseason and hope Javin is prepared too!

I am too! I really am excited to see what Javin brings to the program... I know they are highlights but I like his game! Hopefully he can adapt fast.

I hope the end of last year gave Jeter confidence. I really feel the tools are there he just needs to slow down and have the game come to him.

Not going to get into technicalities here, but he will be a combo guard being forced to play pg. he's not a pg, not really that close at all actually, but let's see what time can do....

Reactions: dukehokie
I agree with Crank he's not a pg. Not to say he can't play the position but that's just his natural position.

Still sick about DT transferring...

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
He will be a major upgrade at PG regardless of what we call him. We and he will be u stoppable next year

Reactions: mdowdy
Exactly DJ. I love we get Frank for DT. Better athlete, better shooter, scorer, more explosive. We won't miss out on a mid range jumper either , his is sweet. Best of all, Frank makes some sweet passes that place teammates in position to score. Also, Frank has no fear. None. Dude drips confidence, that's who I want leading my team. He's a guy who wants to win all the time, he's hungry , just like Giles and Tatum. It's going to be an incredible recipie for success.

I feel like it is an unwritten law that we only speak of the players who are:

1. On the team.

Or

2. Possibly joining the team.

Duke will be fine next year without Thornton despite not wanting to lose him.

And Duke will also be fine next year with or without Bolden too.

Us losing DT and UK seemingly on Bolden definitely shifts the balance of power between the two teams. Either way, we are #1 and #2. Coaching and team chemistry will decide the final result. We have a team full of great attitudes and work ethic. UK has plenty of talent. Fox and Monk can match anyone, but we'll see how they do for 40 minutes against a physical set.

FWIW one of my sources is saying they aren't as confident as they were a couple of weeks ago, but still remain confident that he picks Duke. The other says they aren't worried about it, and that he's coming.

From what I have read and inferred from Uncle Trainer -- DT wanted to be scoring more and giving less dimes. Frank comes into picture and DT thinks that he will not get any PT highlighting his scoring. Maybe that is too simple a viewpoint.

FWIW one of my sources is saying they aren't as confident as they were a couple of weeks ago, but still remain confident that he picks Duke. The other says they aren't worried about it, and that he's coming.
My source is the flip of a coin. A quarter, in fact. It's worth $0.25 more than your source.

Reactions: Bobcat94
Russell Westbrook wasn't a true point guard going into college either... Rivals had him listed as a shooting guard. He's obviously not Russell Westbrook, but there are some similarities coming out of highschool. It's not like it's impossible for a combo guard to become a great point guard.

What's with the equivocating? A good lie is in the details. Have your pretend sources say something definitive. If you won't believe your own nonsense, how can you expect us to?
Obviously, no one knows anything definitive. My "pretend sources" are much more plugged into Duke recruiting than I am or will ever pretend to be, therefore I post how they feel on it and what they tell me. My own nonsense doesn't seem to be any different than what else is being reported regarding his recruitment, but they feel that all of the speculation surrounding his recruitment as of late is just that. I can't help that it doesn't suite your UK shades, CorruptRafters may be better suited for that.

Obviously, no one knows anything definitive. My "pretend sources" are much more plugged into Duke recruiting than I am or will ever pretend to be, therefore I post how they feel on it and what they tell me. My own nonsense doesn't seem to be any different than what else is being reported regarding his recruitment, but they feel that all of the speculation surrounding his recruitment as of late is just that. I can't help that it doesn't suite your UK shades, CorruptRafters may be better suited for that.
It's amazing because all the articles, crystal ball predictors, and recruiting experts surrounding the bolden recruiting still have Duke as a favorite to land him.

You can have your opinion but I strongly disagree and many others do as well.. Including the team USA coach and coach K which is all that matters

As do 'many others' agree that he isn't a PG. Again, you act as if I think the kid isn't a special basketball player; he is. As stated for the 1,002,002nd time, he attacks, he scores, BUT he lacks court vision, and isn't near being a FT PG. Can Duke win without a PG? Absolutely, it'll just be a little more difficult at first, IMO, and people here act as if Giles will come right in and dominate. Somehow you forget that he is just now getting around to running, coming off of a season where he played 2 minutes and change in the first game. He will bounce back, but let's calm the expectations a bit.

Russell Westbrook wasn't a true point guard going into college either... Rivals had him listed as a shooting guard. He's obviously not Russell Westbrook, but there are some similarities coming out of highschool. It's not like it's impossible for a combo guard to become a great point guard.

I said 'right now'. He MAY become a solid PG, but he has a ways to go. Some here act as if he will come right in, and Duke will steamroll everyone with an already solidly-set, natural PG. He isn't. Maybe over time, though, given the staff around him.

Jackson is going to be fine. I'm not worried. Thornton obviously had apprehension about 1) playing time, 2) fighting to earn minutes, and 3) being challenged.

Those aren't great attributes, either....and they're the kind of attributes that can drive a wedge through the team.

Yep, not sure where anyone said Jackson wouldn't be fine. I am just calling on the people who think he's a natural PG who will step right in with no difficulties. That's simply not the case.

with Duke's team next year, they won't have too great a need for a typical point. Grayson, Tatum, and Giles can create their own and dominate offensively. Duke will also have plenty of outside shooters. They should have great rebounding and inside scoring, including much better offensive rebounding. And with Tatum and Giles, they have at least 2 guys they can put at the foul line to attack zones. They also have multiple bigs who can handle the ball to help defeat the press and better finishers to attack the press. Basically, Jackson at point needs to be a little more consistent than Thornton at knocking down wide open 3s and solid on D. The only concern for me is if he can stay in front of very quick point guards. If not, hopefully Duke is a better shot blocking team and having 3 athletic forwards 6' 8" or bigger on the court together, can erase those opportunities.

Reactions: pisgah101
Yea, crank, i'll agree he's not what you're calling a true pg, but saying he has no court vision? Where did you dig that up? He's got great court vision. I love his court awareness, he pulls off some fantastic passes. I know you don't see those in mix tapes but in game he does pass well, he's WAY better at creating scoring opportunities with his pass, something DT was actually pretty horrible at. I think the only category DT may have had on him is defensive positioning, DT was good at staying close up on his man. But in the end if you weigh all categories between the two, I'll take ol Frank every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Even with all this talk about how Frank will do as our full time starting point guard, I still see us opening the season with Grayson and Jones as our starting backcourt. That may change as the season progresses though.

Reactions: dbav
Yea, crank, i'll agree he's not what you're calling a true pg, but saying he has no court vision? Where did you dig that up? He's got great court vision. I love his court awareness, he pulls off some fantastic passes. I know you don't see those in mix tapes but in game he does pass well, he's WAY better at creating scoring opportunities with his pass, something DT was actually pretty horrible at. I think the only category DT may have had on him is defensive positioning, DT was good at staying close up on his man. But in the end if you weigh all categories between the two, I'll take ol Frank every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yeah, "unstoppable" is too much, but so is "no court vision." The answer is probably somewhere in between.

Reactions: twdukefan
Yeah i'm not sure who starts there, but i can tell you 3 spots are locked up, and most likely with the "official" news we already knew about Amile, i'll bet 4 spots to start the season are locked up. I don't know what will happen at the 5th spot to START the season, but i can definitely see midway, with good production and practices Frank taking over that fifth spot. I hesitate to label it a PG or 1, but a lineup with him in there takes off some of the pressure of Grayson/Matt to bring the ball up. I also could see Luke running that roll to start the season.

Timo, do you think Bolden to UK? Meaning your 4 starters would be
Allen
Tatum
Giles
Jefferson

Yep, not sure where anyone said Jackson wouldn't be fine. I am just calling on the people who think he's a natural PG who will step right in with no difficulties. That's simply not the case.

You know I love this conversation.

I've seen Frank play once, so I won't say what he does or doesn't have, but my main beef with your assessment of Frank not being able to pass of lacking vision may or may not be based on 1 or 2 TV games. If you've seen him a lot, then there you go you become subject matter expert. But on both sides of this fence, we have a limited view of what Frank can do at point. Good or bad, let's pump the brakes and put some faith in this staff.

We had a top 5 offense without a true point guard so I tend to personally believe defense and not offense will be what puts this team over. We'll see in about 6 months.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
As long as most of our guys can pass the rock pretty well, we'll be fine with the 4 taller guards that we have. Amile, Harry, Jayson, Luke and Frank can all pass the ball very well. Matt makes some lazy ones, but has shown the ability to move the ball around the horn. Grayson is the master of the drive and dump. Chase, well he only needs to pass the ball to the nearest guard and start running. It all depends on the chemistry. Another fun year.

Reactions: Ulla1
This whole thing feels like the Tony Parker decision all over again. Where the kid that holds out the longest often gets built up to be more than they turn out to be. That's not to say Bolden won't be good. I'm not saying that at all. I just think too much is being made about which team he chooses. Hopefully, there won't be a 2+ hour reveal show like Parker's. Mostly, I just simply can't wait until all the UK crap is out of my timeline on twitter...

Reactions: DukeDenver
I live in Utah, and have been to quiet a few lone peak games. He is an all around good basketball player, with very good vision, and always looks to make others around him better. He's an absolute dominate athlete, so those things get a little bit lost when people are attempting to make limited sample size evaluations of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT