ADVERTISEMENT

BOB LANIER R.I.P.

Liftee

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 6, 2011
For the OFC's in our midst, you probably remember Bob Lanier. A huge but kind man with excellent big man skills.

I was lucky enough to see him play in college in the NIT. He had soft hands, great footwork and a soft shot. He was one of the most dominant college players I ever saw. He was also a great pro although he was stuck on mediocre Detroit teams.

We have lost a great man from the basketball past and I didn't want his passing to go unrecognized.

For the OFC's in our midst, you probably remember Bob Lanier. A huge but kind man with excellent big man skills.

I was lucky enough to see him play in college in the NIT. He had soft hands, great footwork and a soft shot. He was one of the most dominant college players I ever saw. He was also a great pro although he was stuck on mediocre Detroit teams.

We have lost a great man from the basketball past and I didn't want his passing to go unrecognized.

I was a big Lanier and St. Bona fan as a young man growing up in Buffalo. I remember watching Lanier and Calvin Murphy battle it out when Niagara played the Bonnies. Also remember how St. Bonaventure went to the FF but Bob broke his ankle or foot and could not compete. Would have been an amazing matchup against Artis Gilmore. I think the Bonnies would have won that but likely not beaten the UCLA machine. Still, what might have been …

There was also a sporting goods store in Buffalo that had a pair of his used basketball shoes under glass (I always remember reporta he wore as size 21. That was what those were. Some reportedsize 22 or 18. I don’t think the latter were accurate).

Lanier was a class act. Thanks for posting this.
RIP.

OFC

Reactions: Liftee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT