ADVERTISEMENT

Additional Commitment to Duke 2023 Class

Another offer. Andrej Stojakovic, a 4* small forward from California. I am a little surprised as I thought all the targets for the 23 class were set.
Sounds like Jai Lucas and Duke are starting to have conversations with Mookie Cook (top 5 2023 kid). They haven’t offered him yet but Lucas was his primary recruiter at Kentucky. Sounds like they are discussing him playing the part of RJ Barrett which is a kid that could play SF at most schools but acting as CG at Duke.

Imagine the hesitancy in going full throttle of Cook is that he’s pretty infatuated with the G League. Article that just came out had him stating that he will visit Duke.

If we can get one of Flip or Mitchell back plus Young and Reeves that is pretty good. One more guy for depth. Who knows but something appears to have changed.
Still forgetting Duke has Stewart and Mgbako for 2023 as well. Seriously doubt the staff don’t know who’s leaving already and the ones that are on the fence . If Young were to return you Don’t need another C or PF that’s four already .

Sounds like Jai Lucas and Duke are starting to have conversations with Mookie Cook (top 5 2023 kid). They haven’t offered him yet but Lucas was his primary recruiter at Kentucky. Sounds like they are discussing him playing the part of RJ Barrett which is a kid that could play SF at most schools but acting as CG at Duke.

Imagine the hesitancy in going full throttle of Cook is that he’s pretty infatuated with the G League. Article that just came out had him stating that he will visit Duke.
Cook wants a Duke offer in the worst way.

Reactions: 9dukejames
If we can get one of Flip or Mitchell back plus Young and Reeves that is pretty good. One more guy for depth. Who knows but something appears to have changed.
Would love Flip or Mitchell back but I'm not holding my breath. Either one as a sophomore would be incredible.

Reactions: 9dukejames
^Agreed. Duke appears to no longer want another 5 for whatever reason. Looks like the focus is now on a versatile 3 type guy. If Cook comes in for a visit that would be interesting. I thought he had settled on the G League.

I imagine in this day and age the staff sit you down and ask what your plans are. Are you going to test? Are you going to go if you are on mock drafts? Are you 50/50? Of course things change and people have the right to change their minds but staff need to recruit accordingly.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Could be that DUKE needs a sf in 2023. When you look at the 2023 roster, if just Young returned that is a loaded front court. Now should Mitchel or flip return, that’s a really talented front court .

Reactions: christophero
Hubbard has grit . I’m not downing any move Scheyer and staff make . The one mold I hope Scheyer brakes is players from being scared of competing for minutes against the OAD
Shey, I think for the most part the coaching staff at Duke has done a fantastic job not recruiting kids that are afraid to compete for minutes. The Vrankovich’s, Goldwires, Jack Whites, DeLaurier’s, Bolden’s, Tyler Thornton’s, AOC’s, Matt Jones, Lance Thomas, Zoubek’s, Jefferson’s all come to mind.

Shey, I think for the most part the coaching staff at Duke has done a fantastic job not recruiting kids that are afraid to compete for minutes. The Vrankovich’s, Goldwires, Jack Whites, DeLaurier’s, Bolden’s, Tyler Thornton’s, AOC’s, Matt Jones, Lance Thomas, Zoubek’s, Jefferson’s all come to mind.
But the only low recruits you mentioned are Vrank, Goldwire and Thornton. The rest were four star recruits and outside of Bolden none of them were heavily brought in with OAD recruits. I would say the transfers from Duke would be the opposing argument . King,D.Thornton, Coleman, Brakesfield, Murphy, O’Connel , Carrick Felix( is the biggest one that was scared of competition), Semi and a couple others. All highly rated recruits .

But the only low recruits you mentioned are Vrank, Goldwire and Thornton. The rest were four star recruits and outside of Bolden none of them were heavily brought in with OAD recruits. I would say the transfers from Duke would be the opposing argument . King,D.Thornton, Coleman, Brakesfield, Murphy, O’Connel , Carrick Felix( is the biggest one that was scared of competition), Semi and a couple others. All highly rated recruits .
You are correct with your list. I will add Jack and and DeLaurier were in the stacked 16 class with Tatum, Giles, Jackson, Bolden.

Reactions: sheyduke
I will add I was bummed AOC, Thornton, Brakefield, Semi, and Coleman all left.

Everything I read about King seemed like he did not take basketball at Duke seriously.

Reactions: sheyduke
Honest Kid IMO . Duke is already loaded in the front court .
We really don’t know if we will be loaded in the front court or not. If Flip, Mitchell, & Young leave, we could be very thin at PF and Center. I’m not confident Stewart is going to be much more than a slightly better version of Amille Jefferson. Think he can be a great glue guy for the team if he sticks around 2-3 years but not expecting him to average over 10 points his Freshman year. Mgbako will be a stud his Freshman year but outside of him, we are putting a lot of faith in Reeves and Stewart.

Hopefully, this ends up being good news regarding Power or Cook because we are going to need someone else that can play valuable minutes.

Yes it's hard to say. I think Flip and Mitchell will go but hope we get one back. Maybe the uncertainty plus Young and Reeves could make someone wonder what the path to playing time will be. Say Flip does 2 years like Hurt and the other 2 reserves come back. A top 50 guy who wants to play right away may not see clear PT. I also have no idea how Bordon factors in, but he does seem to have gained some weight and is playing in Europe this summer. And Stewart does seems like an Amile type.

Last edited:
We really don’t know if we will be loaded in the front court or not. If Flip, Mitchell, & Young leave, we could be very thin at PF and Center. I’m not confident Stewart is going to be much more than a slightly better version of Amille Jefferson. Think he can be a great glue guy for the team if he sticks around 2-3 years but not expecting him to average over 10 points his Freshman year. Mgbako will be a stud his Freshman year but outside of him, we are putting a lot of faith in Reeves and Stewart.

Hopefully, this ends up being good news regarding Power or Cook because we are going to need someone else that can play valuable minutes.
Are you serious about Stewart? His stock has done nothing but gone up since last summer . I don’t look for him to be at Duke but one season along with Mgbako. Stewart will start with Mgbako with Reeves coming off the bench but pushing the two other bigs. You pick up a upper class in the portal and your front court is back to being stacked with out powers or cook.
Amile was a four star small forward coming out of high school who had to play pf /C at Duke . Stewart is a 6’8” pf five star who has done nothing but rise .

Last edited:
To be fair Amile was a MAA and ranked 17th on Rivals. Kentucky and Nova wanted him bad.
I know it came down to Duke and Nova and Amile choose Duke because there was ample playing time at three positions. Him defending all three really Helped the 2015 team .

This thread is hard to read. You guys are talking about the class of 23, when I don't even know who's on this team.
Mac, you talking about the 22/23 roster?
Jeremy Roach
Tyrese Proctor
Whitehead
Grandison
Mitchell
Young
Lively
Flip
Schutt
Blakes
Catchings
Hubbard
Max Johns
Reeves
And I think Borden the seven footer that walked on last year .

It's okay. I was corrected a few times about minor details so I stopped posting there.
Chris , I’m glad you and the rest that still post here still post. I mean it’s college sports . If everyone agreed it would be boring . I know I post some bad post and some good ones but it’s posters here that keep this board going . I mean if we all agreed we might as well just say hi. Oh and GTHC, GTH

Chris , I’m glad you and the rest that still post here still post. I mean it’s college sports . If everyone agreed it would be boring . I know I post some bad post and some good ones but it’s posters here that keep this board going . I mean if we all agreed we might as well just say hi. Oh and GTHC, GTH
Shey, awesome post!!

Yea I knda figured that was going to happen. I don't think Duke goes for another 5 for the 23 class Its possible Flip stays 2 years anyway. Power might be the next one that we hear about. He should be a really good combo forward. I have no idea if Duke is the leader, but I have read that he grew up a Duke fan.

Flip certainly has looked like a 2 year guy. Honestly he looks like a 3 or 4 year guy, if his high school ranking was lower. Maybe he will do the Hurt 2 year plan. I think he could have a great sophmore year at Duke. I wish I had a beer for every time I've said that.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Flip certainly has looked like a 2 year guy. Honestly he looks like a 3 or 4 year guy, if his high school ranking was lower. Maybe he will do the Hurt 2 year plan. I think he could have a great sophmore year at Duke. I wish I had a beer for every time I've said that.

Not sure we could find the keyboard if that was the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT