ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Duke Lacrosse...

Hofman19

Recruit
Oct 27, 2007
Let the journey to Titletown commence....

There is definitely room for growth, but overall, I loved that the team was able to fight back from an 8-4 halftime deficit to completely control the final 30 minutes and emerge with a 12-10 victory over a legit top-5 opponent like Denver!!

I know in the past we have not awarded game balls for lax contests. However, allow me to make an exception...TURNER UPPGREN!!!

Talk about a feel good story. The kid loses his starting job after being in cage the past two years and then comes on and saves (no pun intended) the Devils by making 11 stop on 15 SOG (73.3%)...I don't want to totally write off the All-American, Adler, after just one appearance. However, he better find his groove or else he is destined to be labeled as someone who was just a medium fish in a small pond at St. Joe's.

Honorable Mention game ball to Brennan O'Neill....As a fellow Long Islander, I have been hyping this kid on the board since he committed and he lived up to that praise this afternoon...Making his collegiate debut, he notched a hat trick and added an assist to tie Princeton transfer/2020 National Player of the Year, Michael Sowers (1G, 3A) for the team lead with four points!!!

Owen Caputo came up clutch as well, scoring both of his two goals in the second half, including the eventual game-winner with 7:38 remaining in the 4th quarter! He joined O'Neill as the only other multiple goal-scorer today for DU!

BRAVO to the pole unit as a whole!!! The deeper into the game it went, the better they played!!! To hold an experienced and dynamic Pioneer offense to just two goals in the second half if no easy feat!!!

Friday's triumph marked the 200th victory for Coach Dino at the helm of the Devils.

Note: Duke was without the services of Senior attackman, Joe Robertson (90 goals, 29 assists in his college career)!

BOX SCORE: https://goduke.com/sidearmstats/mlax/individual;team=home

Last edited:
Awesome comeback and win! Heard we were down 8-4 and by time I got home and tuned in, it was 10-10 deadlock! Fantastic finish by the #1 ranked Devils!!!! Denver is tough and deserving of its #5 ranking as well! OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Hofman19
Turner Uppgren is a great name. Suitable for a comic book hero. Lacrosse is a spectacular game. My nephew is 6'7" and receiving basketball scholarship offers, but he hates AAU basketball, and hopes that his lacrosse ability will at least get him back door admission to an Ivy League University or Virginia, UNC or Duke. He explained to me how Denver emerged as a power, but I have forgotten

Reactions: hart2chesson
Turner Uppgren is a great name. Suitable for a comic book hero. Lacrosse is a spectacular game. My nephew is 6'7" and receiving basketball scholarship offers, but he hates AAU basketball, and hopes that his lacrosse ability will at least get him back door admission to an Ivy League University or Virginia, UNC or Duke. He explained to me how Denver emerged as a power, but I have forgotten

Lax is a "spectacular game" ged. I really enjoy it, and truly marvel at the skills these guys possess. I am sure my Devils and your Tar Heels will have their usual exciting shootouts this season! OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
UNC beat Denver in lacrosse this morning 24-13. UNC led 21-6, and took the foot off the gas. Game was on ESPNU this morning and will be replayed tonight on ESPNU

hart2chesson, thanks for your kind words on the UNC-Duke basketball thread. You are 100% correct. Basketball is a team game, but you need the guy who can take over the game as needed

Reactions: hart2chesson
hart2chesson, thanks for your kind words on the UNC-Duke basketball thread. You are 100% correct. Basketball is a team game, but you need the guy who can take over the game as needed

Your welcome kind sir! Yeah we just lack that guy I feel this year in Durham.

OFC

We're still looking very much like an imperfect product (UNC and UVA have looked a little smoother at this point), but there were some real positives in today's 17-8 victory over Mercer.

It is great to have our man #8 [Joe Robertson] back on the attack. In his return after missing the entire 2020 season due to injury, it was as if he did not skip a beat...4 goals, 1 assist to finish with a 5-point afternoon!

Sowers seems to getting more comfortable within the offense...After not scoring a legit goal (had the fluke kick-in versus Denver) in his first two appearances for the devils, he ripped the net four times today, while simultaneously remaining as one of our best feeders (2 assists)...His six point effort topped all DU personnel.

Montgomery continued to show the well-roundness of his skill set. In the win against Robert Morris, he was a finisher (hat trick). Today, he was the facilitator (team-high 3 dimes).

True freshman, Naso, is emerging as a reliable FOGO...He won 12-of-22 on Saturday and netted his first career goal.

Named the conference Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in Duke's 2-0 start, Tyler Carpenter, stayed hot, forcing a team-high four turnovers and ending the day 2nd with 5 ground balls.

The live video feed was rather choppy, but aside from that, everything was working for the Blue Devils in their 18-7 victory on the road against a usually tough and defensive-minded Towson squad.

Today was by far the most complete effort by Duke thus far this season....At one point, they lead 18-3 before surrendering some garbage goals in the 4th (while getting some reserves quality playing time).

Four different DU student-athletes recorded at least a hat trick, with #1 ranked freshman, Brennan O'Neill, topping the list with four...Joe Robertson, Nakeie Montgomery, and Owen Caputo all had three.

"Quarterback" Michael Sowers finished the contest with a team-best six points, as he scored twice and dished four assists.

Jake Naso (another frosh out of St. Anthony's; like O'Neill) was outstanding again at FOGO, winning 21-of-25 draws!

Mike Adler has seemingly shook off that rough first appearance in the Duke uniform (against Denver)....He stopped 8 of 10 shots to improve to 3-0 this year in cage!

When you consider that UVA was receiving high praise after beating this same Tiger program 20-11 earlier in the year, I'd say that in typical fashion, Coach Dino has us in a very good spot at this point of the season...

HUGE 12-11 win in overtime over the Heels in a clash of #1 vs. #2 programs in the country!!!

A lot of people point at Sowers as being the linchpin of the offense...Personally, some nights it seems like Robertson is the real difference-maker...And tonight was one of those nights.

He netted the game-winner, thus completing an incredible 4-goal, 3-assist outing for #8!!!

Brennan O'Neill, Owen Caputo, and Dyson Williams each posted 2-goal showings!!!

Mike Adler played his best game of the season in cage, standing on his head in the first half (12 saves) en route to a 17-save effort against an opponent who entered as the top-scoring team in the country!

Jake Naso continued to have a fabulous rookie season as the Devils' primary FOGO. He went 15-of-24 draws on Thursday...For the season, he has been credited with 132 face-off wins who is at the moment is 2nd most in the land!

https://goduke.com/news/2021/4/2/me...o-1-duke-to-victory-in-a-rivalry-classic.aspx

Last edited:
HUGE 12-11 win in overtime over the Heels in a clash of #1 vs. #2 programs in the country!!!

A lot of people point at Sowers are being the linchpin of the offense...Personally, some night it seems like Robertson is the real difference-maker...And tonight was one of those nights.

He netted the game-winner, thus completing an incredible 4-goal, 3-assist outing for #8!!!

Brennan O'Neill, Owen Caputo, and Dyson Williams each posted 2-goal showings!!!

Mike Adler played his best game of the season in cage, standing on his head in the first half (12 saves) en route to a 17-save effort against an opponent who entered as the top-scoring team in the country!

Jake Naso continued to have a fabulous rookie season as the Devils' primary FOGO. He went 15-of-24 draws on Thursday...For the season, he has been credited with 132 face-off wins who is at the moment is 2nd most in the land!

https://goduke.com/news/2021/4/2/me...o-1-duke-to-victory-in-a-rivalry-classic.aspx

#DevilsLaxWins
#CoachDRocks
#GTHCGTH

OFC

This team is really special. The depth we have on offense is just absurd, and the D has really progressed during the season. Adler had an absolutely hell of a game last night in net. Really hope we keep it up and cruise to title #4 on Memorial Day.

Big game against Notre Dame on Saturday morning on ESPNU. Hope we can keep the momentum going.
Probably the only time all year (minus conference tournament rematch) I will be pulling for the opponent....

Notre Dame just happens to have a lot of fellow alumns from my high school that play prominent roles...

The Good news is that there is influx coming to Durham in the 2021 and 2022 classes. So I can go back to being 50/50 pretty soon.

If Kavanagh and Entenmann both play well and Duke still wins, I am good with that!

Really sloppy game from Duke on Saturday. Hopefully we can have a better showing when we face off with Notre Dame again in Durham in 10 days.

Also, big away game at UVA on Thursday night. Need to get the team back on track after the dismal performance this past weekend.

I know Maryland is undefeated, but Rutgers is really the only decent win they have this season. Meanwhile, Duke has beaten 3 top-5 teams, as well as Syracuse and Denver. I don't see how our resume can be worse than Maryland simply because we dropped a game to a top-5 Notre Dame team.

Should be an exciting stretch run in May. Hope we can make it to Memorial Day.

Happy with the #2 seed, but we have a really tough path to the finals based on what the head-to-heads this season showed us.

-1st round vs. High Point---We beat them convincingly (27-8), so we should be able to cruise in this one

-Quarters vs. Denver---Struggled to beat them in the season opener, trailing for the majority of the game before using a 3-0 advantage in the 4th quarter to win 12-10....With Ierlan now at Denver handling FO duties, possessions are going to be at a premium.

-Semis vs. winner of Notre Dame/Maryland----Notre Dame came darn close to sweeping the Devils this year. They won 13-8 at home and if not for the goal being waved off, would have won hung on for a 13-12 win on the road....Maryland on the other hand got the #3 seed despite being the lone unblemished team in the field. They entered selection Sunday as the #1 ranked team in the country (albeit unproven by a lesser SOS).

Simply put, we are going to need to play good ball if we hope to reach the 'ship!

Before looking at the brackets, I figured every team has a tough road, but now I see that UNC at least in theory has an easier path as the #1 seed. Monmouth, Lehigh, and then Georgetown or Virginia before a final against Duke or Maryland. Obviously, UNC would have to play well, but their opponents don't have the ability to play great like Duke's foes

Duke plays High Point on Sunday at 5:00 PM on ESPNU in Chapel Hill. Seems odd to play the game in Chapel Hill

UNC hosts Monmouth at noon on Saturday, also on ESPNU. I certainly don't know, but I would think that Monmouth is slightly better than High Point

We got a tough draw, but this team has the talent to win #4. Will be a hell of a challenge likely going through Denver and Maryland or Notre Dame to make it to the championship game, where UNC will likely be waiting. Looking forward to see how we do.

Also kudos to the guys who made the All-ACC Team, and a special shoutout to Brennan O'Neill for being named Freshman of the year!

Caught a bit of a break in my opinion with Loyola pulling the upset against Denver last night. Hopefully that makes getting to Memorial Day weekend a lot easier. Looking forward to the Elite 8 matchup on Sunday afternoon.

Caught a bit of a break in my opinion with Loyola pulling the upset against Denver last night. Hopefully that makes getting to Memorial Day weekend a lot easier. Looking forward to the Elite 8 matchup on Sunday afternoon.
Agreed...I think now that we don't have to worry about Ierlan dominating FO, we should be able to control possession and let our dynamic offense do its thing.

In theory, the only concern I might have is that after being very average for the first half of the season, the hounds are really starting to put things together...They enter on a five-game winning streak and there is nothing scarier than a team that is hot.

I read that the Duke Women's Lacrosse Team defeated Maryland in the NCAA Tournament
They've got a pretty big hurdle this weekend against a Northwestern squad that is a perennial title contender. Hopefully they can pull the upset and make it to the Final Four.

Reactions: bobcrane14
The UNC vs Rutgers game was incredible. Rutgers led 10-8 late. The Rutgers goalie stopped several point blank shots . Tar Heels won 12-11 in overtime. Lacrosse is the most exciting close game, much like ACC basketball in the 60s and 70s. Virginia crushed Georgetown, so it's UNC vs Virginia next Saturday in one semifinal

The UNC vs Rutgers game was incredible. Rutgers led 10-8 late. The Rutgers goalie stopped several point blank shots . Tar Heels won 12-11 in overtime. Lacrosse is the most exciting close game, much like ACC basketball in the 60s and 70s. Virginia crushed Georgetown, so it's UNC vs Virginia next Saturday in one semifinal
#GoCavs

OFC

Reactions: bobcrane14
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT