ADVERTISEMENT

Zion/NBA Lottery

Apr 27, 2019

There has been a decent amount of conversation about Zion not hiring an agent yet and not having a shoe deal. The shoe deal isn’t as big, but not having an agent at this point seems odd for the consensus number one pick.

Also, it was reported Zion was “whisked out the room quickly” after it was announced who had the number oneness pick. The other players hung around for other media engagements.

I am not sure who watched the NBA lottery last night but for a guy that was the talk of the night and the future number one pick, he didn’t really look to be enjoying himself.

would he actually come back to duke or could he just work out by himself? serious question, like can he just not play organized basketball for a year if he doesnt want to?

That would shock the world. Still, not having an agent at this point does seem like he’s left all options on the table. The one question I would have is who has been funding this trips to LA, the draft, etc..? An agent would front this out in advance but since there’s no agent, where’s the cash coming from?

Obviously as a Duke fan I would love to see this kid again next season...but...

Zion and his family have done everything right so far. He is the most well liked player with zero bad press that I have ever seen over my years of watching.

I get NO is a small market...the smallest...but I think it would be a big mistake to not just play where he is picked.

Franchises change all the time. Steph didn’t want to go to GS then they turn into a place to land the biggest FA. LeBron returned to Cleveland and Milwaukee has one of the leagues biggest stars.

Zion has a chance to change a city that will love him forever...don’t overthink it. The knicks and lakers would’ve traded him anyway.

Just saw another video on Bleacher Report of Zion and RJ when NOLA got the pick. It makes it look like NOLA may want to field calls for the pick.

Reactions: sheyduke
Just saw another video on Bleacher Report of Zion and RJ when NOLA got the pick. It makes it look like NOLA may want to field calls for the pick.
Not really a Boston fan but if I’m the pelicans and you can trade AD for some first rounders why not call Ainge and see about his three first rounders for one

I’ll be surprised if he returns to Duke but I just saw a post on Facebook that said that according to ESPN Zion would consider returning to duke if he decides that he doesn’t want to play in NOLA

And then what? Watch Memphis or someone win the lottery next year? I can think of worse places then NO. That would be awesome for us, but not going to happen.

When does he have to make a decision by I need to know how long I have to hold my breath

I’m not saying he will withdraw from the draft but when was the last time there was discussion that a consensus number one pick could possibly withdraw? It’s unheard of in my lifetime. Some have discouraged teams from drafting them(Eli/Elway/Dominique Wilkins) but I don’t recall it being reported so quickly after the lottery being announced that a kid may withdraw completely.

If you saw his interview with SLAM magazine recently, you could see how genuine he was about his time at Duke. He waited until almost the very last minute to put his name in and even commented he did it because he had to. He didn’t have to say that. RJ didn’t say that(not that he should have). He even made a comment about it being the best year of his life.

He will end up doing the smart thing and he should. I just don’t think it’s the craziest thought that someone would choose what made them the happiest vs what made them the most money.

Zion was crushed when he couldn’t be a part of the unc at duke game. The last game next year? Unc at Duke. Pencil it in now, Zion will “shock the world”, return to Duke.

Tre
Cassius
Hurt
Zion
Carey

No wonder Jav and Bolden don’t want to come back. Not enough minutes!

Also

tenor.gif

Reactions: DukeDenver
I want Zion to come back as much as anyone. If he does come back, I’d probably scream like a little kid in a toy store and do some uncoordinated middle aged white guy dance that makes Elaine look like Beyoncé.

Here’s why he won’t come back:

- It’s bad for his image and future earnings to bail out bc he doesn’t like his potential landing spot. He’d be forever hated in NO and other teams (not in NY or LA) would be weary of going after him bc he obviously has his sights set on a big city market. Any team that drafted him would have to assume it’s for only three years. Any team drafting #1 overall likely isn’t going to turn into a championship contender in 3 years.

- What are the chances NY, LA, or presumably Chicago gets the top pick next year? They’d have to tank (not happening in LA if Lebron is still there) and still have the same chance they had this year when they didn’t get the top spot.

- Injuries. Career ending injuries are less frequent in basketball, but not unheard of. Look what happened to the draft stocks of Bol Bol, Michael Porter, et al when they got injured in college.

-Now, barring a career ending injury, he’s likely going to make more money off endorsements than his first couple NBA contracts. He is also a humble kid that might not be as concerned with making $. But, the smart economic choice is to go pro now.

I would love nothing more than for him to come back, but the right decision (for him) is to go to NO for three years, act like he’s still considering resigning with NO when his rookie contract is up, then sign a max deal with the big market he wants to play in and act like it was a hard decision to make and thank NO fans for 3 great years.

I want Zion to come back as much as anyone. If he does come back, I’d probably scream like a little kid in a toy store and do some uncoordinated middle aged white guy dance that makes Elaine look like Beyoncé.

- It’s bad for his image and future earnings to bail out bc he doesn’t like his potential landing spot. He’d be forever hated in NO and other teams (not in NY or LA) would be weary of going after him bc he obviously has his sights set on a big city market. Any team that drafted him would have to assume it’s for only three years. Any team drafting #1 overall likely isn’t going to turn into a championship contender in 3 years.

- What are the chances NY, LA, or presumably Chicago gets the top pick next year? They’d have to tank (not happening in LA if Lebron is still there) and still have the same chance they had this year when they didn’t get the top spot.

- Injuries. Career ending injuries are less frequent in basketball, but not unheard of. Look what happened to the draft stocks of Bol Bol, Michael Porter, et al when they got injured in college.

-Now, barring a career ending injury, he’s likely going to make more money off endorsements than his first couple NBA contracts. He is also a humble kid that might not be as concerned with making $. But, the smart economic choice is to go pro now.

I would love nothing more than for him to come back, but the right decision (for him) is to go to NO for three years, act like he’s still considering resigning with NO when his rookie contract is up, then sign a max deal with the big market he wants to play in and act like it was a hard decision to make and thank NO fans for 3 great years.
TL,DR (head in sand)

Reactions: FearTheBeard

Are you trying to steal my reverse jinx schtick?

If Zion comes back to Duke and Bolden and Delaurier enter the draft that will mean one thing; the world will explode by June 1st.

This is what I imagine at an epic party at your house:

eb4a145e51fa78963c4f191669c0f2b3--bad-girls-sexy-girls.jpg

Guns, booze, and beauties.

I’ll be spending the next few days attempting to blackmail Zion into coming back to Duke just so this party can happen.
Everyday of my life has guns, booze and (1) beauty (my wife). I am a really lucky guy.

Everyday of my life has guns, booze and (1) beauty (my wife). I am a really lucky guy.
Me too, but the booze is usually only on the weekend and my guns stay locked or hidden away with me just wishing a M Fer would.

Something tells me an epic Showenuff party would start with shooting a bazooka at a car, a .50 cal at a watermelon or throwing grenades, then transition into excessive drinking on good whiskey or scotch. Our wives would attend which is what I meant by the hot girls. And if my wife reads this board that’s exactly what you’re going to tell her I meant.

Does anyone else feel badly for Zion? I gotta admit, I kinda do. Look, the actual draft is over a month away, and there could be dozens of trades and deals made between now and then. Zion could end up anywhere and playing with anybody. But I just can't shake this feeling of what bad luck it is thru a lottery process that he may end up playing in Louisiana where he will get a tenth of the exposure he would in a big market. It just seems like a raw deal for a kid who seemingly does so many things the "right" way.

Zion was crushed when he couldn’t be a part of the unc at duke game. The last game next year? Unc at Duke. Pencil it in now, Zion will “shock the world”, return to Duke.

Tre
Cassius
Hurt
Zion
Carey

No wonder Jav and Bolden don’t want to come back. Not enough minutes!

This is going to happen!

Does anyone else feel badly for Zion? I gotta admit, I kinda do. Look, the actual draft is over a month away, and there could be dozens of trades and deals made between now and then. Zion could end up anywhere and playing with anybody. But I just can't shake this feeling of what bad luck it is thru a lottery process that he may end up playing in Louisiana where he will get a tenth of the exposure he would in a big market. It just seems like a raw deal for a kid who seemingly does so many things the "right" way.

I really don’t think this is bad for Zion. What situation would’ve been better?...

I doubt anyone was super excited about Memphis or Phoenix or Cleveland (3 of his most likely outcomes)

The Lakers and Knicks trade him for Davis and he ends up in NO anyway with less talent around him.

Why do you think Boogie left? To open up the last scholly for Zion. Think about it. Zion only wanted to play in NY or Chi and they had a combined 26.5% chance to land him. Coach K did the math and nudged Ellis out the door. The 73.5% chance hit, and now Zion is coming back. It's a done deal. I've heard he and Buckmire have already applied for their dorm together next year.

40-0 baby this is so true!!!

He can be out of NO in 3 to 4 years and I think he will get plenty of exposure. Does anyone not know who Anthony Davis is because he plays in NO?

I guess. Maybe I am being selfish and spiteful after I hoped he would end up in NY and I could catch regular games. Either way, I wish nothing but the best for Zion!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT