ADVERTISEMENT

Will Zion get the Shaq treatment from refs?

Feb 27, 2018
It might be something to look out for this season. He's going to get hacked alot trying to get the rim and I hope refs will call a foul just like they would for anyone else

There's an interesting quote from Ty Lue about LeBron and you can basically insert Zion's name for his on his playstyle:

"He's the Shaq of guards and forwards. ... He's so strong and so physical, when he goes to the basket, guys are bouncing off of him. Those are still fouls, but he doesn't get that call because he's so big and so strong and so physical.

We used to tease Shaq all the time about soft fouls. He said: 'Listen, if I pinch you, it feels the same way when you pinch me. No matter how big I am, it feels the same.' I never thought about it like that. That's kind of how LeBron feels."

The Canadian refs swallowed their whistles a few times as Zion and Barrett got hacked. Hopefully that doesn’t happen in NCAA play.

The Canadian refs swallowed their whistles a few times as Zion and Barrett got hacked. Hopefully that doesn’t happen in NCAA play.

You just wait until he plays in the Nose Dome and the refs allows Fluke Maye to go over the back and Zion barely touches him and gets a foul called on him.

Last edited:
i do remember either reading or hearing that in Canada, and maybe international basketball in general, the refs are taught to swallow their whistles unless the shot is affected in order to improve game flow. To purists that may seem wrong (and I'm one of them) but we all complain when there's no flow to a game.

Having said that, yes, there will be a double standard for Zion but I have this feeling he'll be OK playing through contact.

CNDBlueDevil , great post. I was just thinking about this exact issue the other day, will be extremely interesting to see just how this pans out.

i do remember either reading or hearing that in Canada, and maybe international basketball in general, the refs are taught to swallow their whistles unless the shot is affected in order to improve game flow. To purists that may seem wrong (and I'm one of them) but we all complain when there's no flow to a game.

Having said that, yes, there will be a double standard for Zion but I have this feeling he'll be OK playing through contact.

I actually like that. I like a physical game. And I believe as long as the players know going in and it’s fair on both sides, they’d rather take some bumping if it meant the game had better flow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT