ADVERTISEMENT

Which one and done Duke players should have stayed at least one more year?

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I do believe there's been a few. There is the argument of course that if all had it gone we would have not got some of the other one and do we but let's overlook that.I have a few starting with Will Avery and Corey Maggette. More recently there's Duvall, Trent Jr.,Winslow mand Tyus Jones. Who did I miss

Frank Jackson. The only guy that I saw his announcement to turn pro as surprising. Everyone else was expected IMO, whether it be due to a guys performance or expectations of being OAD before the year started (a la Duval.)

You may be right about Avery. Thought he only played one year. Frank Jackson and Rivers are good ones .OFC

Luol Deng. I know Shaun Livingston changed his mind and went straight pro out of high school, but those 2 would have made that 04-05 team nasty.

Winslow, Rivers, Jones, etc where all first round/lottery picks. In todays go and get your money while you can world, i dont think any kid who is projected and got drafter in the first round made the wrong choice. Guaranteed money and contract it is on you to develope from there.

But someone like Duval who is a really talented kid, someone had to had told him there is a high chance of going undrafted. Even with jones coming in, if Duval stays and shows an improved jump shot and decision making. He is a potential lottery pick in the 19 draft that has a clear lack of strong guard prospects.

Luol Deng. I know Shaun Livingston changed his mind and went straight pro out of high school, but those 2 would have made that 04-05 team nasty.
Would love to have seen that team. I think Livingston would have been a monster for us.

Kyrie and Jabari. Only because I would have liked to see them 100% healthy for a full season.

Reactions: skysdad
Frank Jackson. The only guy that I saw his announcement to turn pro as surprising. Everyone else was expected IMO, whether it be due to a guys performance or expectations of being OAD before the year started (a la Duval.)

Plus, both Trent and Duval showed enough flashes to merit getting long looks by NBA teams. IDK what Frank did to think he merited a look.

I think Frank Jackson would have been an absolute monster in his second season if he decided to return.

Harry Giles, Frank Jackson, Trent Jr, and Duval... I dont blame Harry, get your money dont risk anoth ever r injury. Plus he was 1st rd. The other 3 should have stayed 100%. Frank Jackson doesn't see scrub mins in New Orleans. Trent Jr will probably not see meaningful minutes this year. And Duval probably wont see the Big League all year. All could have used year 2 to improve as players. Hell free clothes, best college program, free travel, free education. Best coach, and staff. Excellent facilities. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR.

Reactions: DukeNation12
Duval needed another year to evolve into an all around pg.

He’s the only one I can really say needed it to move into the early first round and the lottery.

Tyus was the only one who’s stock would have never been higher so imo he left at the right time and has been a productive back up in the league.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Frank Jackson. All of the others, whether I thought they should leave or not, were pretty much leaving, regardless. The only exception to that rule might have been Deng. He was at a time where it wasn’t uncommon to stay, but no one saw him being ‘that’ good, that early. He makes the 2005 team the national favorite.

Frank Jackson. All of the others, whether I thought they should leave or not, were pretty much leaving, regardless. The only exception to that rule might have been Deng. He was at a time where it wasn’t uncommon to stay, but no one saw him being ‘that’ good, that early. He makes the 2005 team the national favorite.

A soph Deng would have been exceptional.

For personal and selfish reasons and because everyone has an opinion just like a butt hole I think the only ones for sure that should have left are Irving and Tatum and probably Winslow, Bags and Carter. All the other could have used another year and a few of them two more years.

Last edited:
Hey .Gottagonow. I haven't ask in a while now are you doing? OFC

Last edited:
Not sure Frank would have played at all his second season. He was out his entire rookie NBA career with a leg injury.
I was thinking the same thing.. but, I’m pretty sure the injury happened during NBA workouts or something preparing for the NBA draft.. so, maybe the injury doesn’t happen if he stayed.

Hey .Gottagonow. I haven't ask in a while now are you doing? OFC
Sky thanks for asking. I will never be the same after the death of my daughter and life sucks most days. My health sucks as well as I am on Chemo with blood transfusions every 6 days.

Sky thanks for asking. I will never be the same after the death of my daughter and life sucks most days. My health sucks as well as I am on Chemo with blood transfusions every 6 days.
Gotta, really hate to hear about your health, and can’t fathom what you’ve already gone through with losing your daughter.
Good luck sir.

Love you gotta. I really do. I fee?I guilty even talking about my kidney issues because it seems like an annoying scratch. My prayers are with you my friend and I will make a better effort on keeping up with you. Also simply because I don't go on the how is mikeirby. Please send him my best wishes on his health. I wish no one had this awful disease. I have a dead friend who is fighting it with all his might. May our Heavenly Father bless you and your family and you and Mike Irby be healed. Stay strong and post as much as you can. I know this board cares for you deeply.Lot's of good people here. OFC

Love you gotta. I really do. I fee?I guilty even talking about my kidney issues because it seems like an annoying scratch. My prayers are with you my friend and I will make a better effort on keeping up with you. Also simply because I don't go on the how is mikeirby. Please send him my best wishes on his health. I wish no one had this awful disease. I have a dead friend who is fighting it with all his might. May our Heavenly Father bless you and your family and you and Mike Irby be healed. Stay strong and post as much as you can. I know this board cares for you deeply.Lot's of good people here. OFC

Very well said, and I'm sure it is echoed throughout all of DI....thats what I love about this place .....brotherhood

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT