ADVERTISEMENT

What would you rather see?? Tonight’s games.

ThemDukeBoys

Recruit
Jan 10, 2018
Tenn VS USC
Unc vs GT
UVA Vs NC state

All would be pretty big upsets...which would you like to see the most? (Of course GT besting UNC) And which do you think is most likely to happen?

Most likely is South Carolina and Tennessee. But how awesome would it be to see GT beat the Heels?

Reactions: DukeDenver
Tenn VS USC
Unc vs GT
UVA Vs NC state

All would be pretty big upsets...which would you like to see the most? (Of course GT besting UNC) And which do you think is most likely to happen?
I want to win the ACC title outright, not worried about UNC.
We need UVA to drop a game. Plus UVA losing increases our chances of getting the 1-seed in DC.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
Anyone over unx would be my first choice. After that, don’t care either way.

Anytime unc cheater u loses makes my day. Anything is possible. I would love to go to work at the lake tomorrow and listen to the unc cheater u fans trash them and hof coach roy williams. Whenever they lose they trash them but when they win the heels should be ranked in the top 4 and a lock for a #1 seed. This happens every time they win or lose. I work with 3 of them and when they do win I just tell them they are right. When they lose I say nothing. That's a lot of fun. OFC

I think NCSU is the only real chance of an upset tonight. I'd love to be wrong, and anything can happen, but I don't give GT or USC much chance. More than Vandy probably has, but still. NCSU might have a chance.

Reactions: dukehokie
Don’t leave out Texas possibly upsetting Kansas tonight. Also, Michigan plays Ohio State tonight. Would love for unc, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, Kansas, and Michigan all to lose tonight

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehokie
Don’t leave out Texas possibly upsetting Kansas tonight. Also, Michigan plays Ohio State tonight. Would love for unc, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, Kansas, and Michigan all lose tonight
I switched on the Texas Kansas game and heard who was announcing and couldn’t change the channel fast enough.

Bilas just said He thinks Virginia is the best team in college right now. He didn’t mention their recent loss to Duke.

Bilas just said He thinks Virginia is the best team in college right now. He didn’t mention their recent loss to Duke.

He also said the other night that when it comes to blue bloods, Ky and Kansas are at the top of the list. He said you have to throw Duke and unc in there too, but nobody has done it better than ky or Kansas.

He also said the other night that when it comes to blue bloods, Ky and Kansas are at the top of the list. He said you have to throw Duke and unc in there too, but nobody has done it better than ky or Kansas.

Kansas??? :eek::eek:

Jay Bilas is like about every sports announcer in that whoever he is currently talking about is the best team in the land.

Virginia is the best (team) right now and if I wasn’t a homer I’d pick them to win it all. Gonzaga beat us without one of their guys sooo....?

Reactions: PatrickYates
You can say that again. It'd be like not giving any credit to beating Virginia or saying that was our best chance to get blown out at home since 1995.

"Let's see how stupid I can say something and see if it sticks!"
Eassssssyyyy haha

You can say that again. It'd be like not giving any credit to beating Virginia or saying that was our best chance to get blown out at home since 1995.

It was our best chance of it happening. Do folks here not understand the definition of the word "chance?" It means possibility, not certainty.
UVA is a 39.6 percent team from 3pt this year. Vs Duke, they shot a blistering 3 of 17, for 17.6%. Though we won by 2 points in that game, the "true" margin of victory was 4 points because we didn't attempt to guard their final shot, resulting in a great look for an incredibly short range jump shot. So we actually won by 4. Ergo, 4 of 17 for UVA in that game, sill less than 25%, probably results in a loss for them. 5 of 17, less than 30%, results in a win. 7 of 17, just below their season average, would have added 12 points. That would have resulted in a 8 point win. They also shot poorly from the FT line. 68% vs their season average of 76%. So, assuming they hit another 3 points from the FT line, that is an 11 point victory from UVA, just if they have an average shooting day.

And 11 points, at the UVA pace, is bordering on a blow out win. That is like us winning by 18 or so.
And, again, that is if they have an AVERAGE shooting game. If they'd had a good shooting game, Duke could have lost by closer to 20. And contrary to prevailing belief, their poor 3pt shooting was all because of Duke. They blew some wide open looks. Not all of their misses were open, but plenty were.
See, there's that word: IF. It ties in nicely to the word I used: Chance. I never said we would definitely get blown out (per my quote which you helpfully included). I said that the UVA game, our first without Tre, and featuring a Cam Reddish who'd been too sick to go earlier in the week, offered Duke's best POSSIBILITY (aka CHANCE), not CERTAINTY, of being blown out. And it did. We've been blown out in recent years, but the chance of that happening was relatively low going into each of those games. Vs UVA, which is playing very well on the whole, us without Tre, and with a recovering from illness Cam, was the game with the highest possibility of us getting blown out. Healthy now, going forward, essentially wipes out any chance of us getting blown out going forward, at home or on the road. Not that it can't happen (Zion gets in early and severe FT, while the rest of the team goes cold, and RJ gets dumb on O), but the possibility of that has greatly reduced now.
I never predicted that we'd lose, much less get blown out. I laid out a very rational argument for why that game was the best chance of Duke getting blown out since 95, a year when the possibility of us getting blown out was very high for certain games (the @ UNC game, which was basically the highlight reel for Stack and Sheed on draft night).

Post of the month!!!!

Yup, I guess that one of Duke's strengths has nothing to do with another team's poor 3 point shooting. I like this if game though. Duke only hit 14.3% of its 3 pointers. So if we hit 1 or 2 more to get closer to our average, then your argument is a wash. Free throws were only at 58.1%- also below our average. Pretty sure UVA didn't contest any of those. I guess we beat ourselves there. What if we made a couple more of those?
We scored the more points than anyone else has this year against them and held them below their scoring average. We won the game Patrick. Enjoy it

It was our best chance of it happening. Do folks here not understand the definition of the word "chance?" It means possibility, not certainty.
UVA is a 39.6 percent team from 3pt this year. Vs Duke, they shot a blistering 3 of 17, for 17.6%. Though we won by 2 points in that game, the "true" margin of victory was 4 points because we didn't attempt to guard their final shot, resulting in a great look for an incredibly short range jump shot. So we actually won by 4. Ergo, 4 of 17 for UVA in that game, sill less than 25%, probably results in a loss for them. 5 of 17, less than 30%, results in a win. 7 of 17, just below their season average, would have added 12 points. That would have resulted in a 8 point win. They also shot poorly from the FT line. 68% vs their season average of 76%. So, assuming they hit another 3 points from the FT line, that is an 11 point victory from UVA, just if they have an average shooting day.

And 11 points, at the UVA pace, is bordering on a blow out win. That is like us winning by 18 or so.
And, again, that is if they have an AVERAGE shooting game. If they'd had a good shooting game, Duke could have lost by closer to 20. And contrary to prevailing belief, their poor 3pt shooting was all because of Duke. They blew some wide open looks. Not all of their misses were open, but plenty were.
See, there's that word: IF. It ties in nicely to the word I used: Chance. I never said we would definitely get blown out (per my quote which you helpfully included). I said that the UVA game, our first without Tre, and featuring a Cam Reddish who'd been too sick to go earlier in the week, offered Duke's best POSSIBILITY (aka CHANCE), not CERTAINTY, of being blown out. And it did. We've been blown out in recent years, but the chance of that happening was relatively low going into each of those games. Vs UVA, which is playing very well on the whole, us without Tre, and with a recovering from illness Cam, was the game with the highest possibility of us getting blown out. Healthy now, going forward, essentially wipes out any chance of us getting blown out going forward, at home or on the road. Not that it can't happen (Zion gets in early and severe FT, while the rest of the team goes cold, and RJ gets dumb on O), but the possibility of that has greatly reduced now.
I never predicted that we'd lose, much less get blown out. I laid out a very rational argument for why that game was the best chance of Duke getting blown out since 95, a year when the possibility of us getting blown out was very high for certain games (the @ UNC game, which was basically the highlight reel for Stack and Sheed on draft night).

Dude....get help. Seriously.

I think he’s a smart guy that just digs a little too deep sometimes.

Kyle Guy averages 4.4 2-pt attempts per game and Ty Jerome averages 5.5. Against Duke, they took 12 and 13 2-pt attempts respectively.
Guys averages 6.5 3-pt attempts per game whereas Jerome is at 5.1. Against Duke they took 7 and 5 respectively.
These two have taken the vast majority of 3s for UVA this season (129 and 101 respectively - the next closest guy has taken 43).
Perhaps Duke contributed to the poor shooting on UVAs part by playing really good defense on the perimeter. You know, like Coach K said was the gameplan and like how the stats suggest we defend the 3 pretty well.

We also shot 2-14 from 3 in the game. This was 14%, which is below our season average of 31%. By this, we should have made at least 2 more 3s - or scored 6 more points. We've also shoot 68% from the FT line, but against UVA went 18-31. We should have made 21 FTs to shoot our season average. So we're looking at an additional 3 points there.

So instead of the 4 point win that Patrick gave us, really we should have won by more like 13.

Kyle Guy averages 4.4 2-pt attempts per game and Ty Jerome averages 5.5. Against Duke, they took 12 and 13 2-pt attempts respectively.
Guys averages 6.5 3-pt attempts per game whereas Jerome is at 5.1. Against Duke they took 7 and 5 respectively.
These two have taken the vast majority of 3s for UVA this season (129 and 101 respectively - the next closest guy has taken 43).
Perhaps Duke contributed to the poor shooting on UVAs part by playing really good defense on the perimeter. You know, like Coach K said was the gameplan and like how the stats suggest we defend the 3 pretty well.

We also shot 2-14 from 3 in the game. This was 14%, which is below our season average of 31%. By this, we should have made at least 2 more 3s - or scored 6 more points. We've also shoot 68% from the FT line, but against UVA went 18-31. We should have made 21 FTs to shoot our season average. So we're looking at an additional 3 points there.

So instead of the 4 point win that Patrick gave us, really we should have won by more like 13.

So let me get this straight.....you are saying maybe, just MAYBE, Duke had a little something to do with winning that game???

We were on the same page. You went into more detail though to further prove the point.

Reactions: dukephysics

Seems fishy. Patrick’s theory is more in line with reality. Just ask him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT