ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Moore Blurb

He’s not a great three point shooter though. Just be aware.

Neither was Winslow at the same point. I think he'll improve and that he's smart enough not to take dumb shots from 3. He'll only take wide open shots, and will het enough of them that he has to be respected from there.

Neither was Winslow at the same point. I think he'll improve and that he's smart enough not to take dumb shots from 3. He'll only take wide open shots, and will het enough of them that he has to be respected from there.

That’s the hope I guess. I know he’ll be a lock down defender. Winslow is probably the closest comparison.

Well that’s a relief, can’t take another year like the present. In the words of Kramer, we have a bunch of chuckers....

Reactions: dukehokie
Well that’s a relief, can’t take another year like the present. In the words of Kramer, we have a bunch of chuckers....

I guess it depends on the definition of Chuckers. I see a chucker as a guy that shoots, no matter what. Given how good our guys are at attacking the rim/paint, it is easy to view any perimeter shot as a lost opportunity to attack the rim, and thus we have "chuckers." I don't see it that way. I have seen very very few "bad" shots. Even those taken early in the position were, by and large, good looks. We are getting a lot of good looks at three because we aren't hitting them. And because teams would prefer to guard the paint as much as possible. But if they are going to give us wide open threes, we have to take them.
Some folks here seem to be of the opinion that a way to cut down on three point misses would simply be to take far, far few of them. Which would be effective in cutting down on misses, to be sure. But after a few games of not taking many threes, there would be 3-4 defenders in the paint at all times, RJ and Zion are great, but that many defenders would cut down on passing lanes, there would be that many more hands bothering drives, and that many more defenders contesting passes. Zion is at his best when he has to take 1, or zero, dribbles. If the opposing teams can restrict the paint enough, they will make Zion catch the ball further out, and he'll be less effective vs a more crowded lane. Ditto RJ.
There is no other fix (such that one is needed on this team). We don't need to take fewer threes. We have taken very few selfish or stupid threes. Most have barely been guarded. We'd have been thrilled to see Grayson, or Luke, or Tatum, or Ingram get this many open looks. So our guys are taking shots that are good looks.
We simply have to start making a higher percentage of them on a consistent basis. That will keep defenses from loading up on the paint.

I'm in the camp that says cut down on threes, but don't stop taking them completely. Take good threes in flow, and what goes in, goes in. What misses we will get a good percentage of offensive rebounds and convert them into 2's. Zion is a beast in this department. I just don't want us taking 43 when we are making less than 20%.

DismalMistyAntipodesgreenparakeet-size_restricted.gif

Wendell Moore has been getting a lot of positive buzz, he seems to be making a late surge (a lot like Justise), wouldn't be shocked if he's ranked somewhere between 10-15 at the end of this year.

He's right in the sweet spot of an Elite-guy who can help as a freshman but may stay 2 years. If he keeps this up, he's gonna be gone after one, much like Justise.
Wayyyyyy too early for this, but he's a late first rounder on 2020 mocks.

Reactions: PatrickYates
He’s not a great three point shooter though. Just be aware.

Where do you get that he's not a great 3-point shooter? I acknowledge that he stunk it up in the EYBL, but his perimeter shooting this year has been solid, at the bare minimum. He's 38 for 94 from 3, which is slightly north of 40%.

Where do you get that he's not a great 3-point shooter? I acknowledge that he stunk it up in the EYBL, but his perimeter shooting this year has been solid, at the bare minimum. He's 38 for 94 from 3, which is slightly north of 40%.

Being facetious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT