ADVERTISEMENT

Vernon Carey JR is in good company

Is it me, or does he get a bunch of rebounds that look like they are going to be snared by the other team?
Really nice to see his hustle and effectiveness on D. Not just getting blocks, but good positioning and good rotating and help D.

Way better than I thought he’d be. Dude can make 3s on the regular too
Is it just me or does it seem like he’s attempted and made more 3’a than he has because according to his stats he’s only attempted and made three 3’s so far during this season.

I think it’s been established that we can’t go wrong playing through Vernon.

i think it’s also been established that we struggle to go right not playing through Vernon. Him and Tre are the two most important players on the team and it’s not even close.

Reactions: Quavarius
One of my favorite things about Carey is how he doesn't seem to at rattled. Too often when a big missed a bunny you see them get frustrated with himself or at the ref for some miss call. Carey not so much he just goes right back up to get the rebound and comes back at you.

He was rated first in his age group at times...other flashier kids surpassed him. Great get, and glad he is on our team. I think he’ll be a better pro than some of our other recent big men.

Said in another thread that he's been as good or better than Bags and Carter considering his defense. Good to see the stats back it up. Of course, he has a big time PG advantage over Bags and Carter as well.

Good post OP, been watching this young man since he was a Jr. in HS, and I am so impressed with how much he has improved his stamina and endurance. If you didn't get to see him in HS, he didn't run the floor very well, mainly because of his conditioning . I was really worried when he picked Duke, but the S&C program has done wonders for him.
I really like "Big Vernon" and he will be a big key to the success that this team is going to have this year.

Go Duke!
OFC

His stock certainly improved in New York! As long as he remains consistent when the competition increases, he will be a high lottery pick!

Reactions: jwill133
His stock certainly improved in New York! As long as he remains consistent when the competition increases, he will be a high lottery pick!
It’ll be interesting to see if he does go lottery. After watching the first six games I’d say he should. Granted that is extremely biased.

It’ll be interesting to see if he does go lottery. After watching the first six games I’d say he should. Granted that is extremely biased.

He is the 21st century big man for the NBA! If he does this against ACC opponents and Duke makes a deep NCAA Tournament run, then yeah. I don’t know what his measurables are, either.

In fairness, those Bagley numbers are basically 5 games for him, because the MSU Champions Classic game he played in, he went out 5 minutes into the game with the eye injury and never came back. That is just silly.

I think the thing that has impressed me most about Vernon is his ability to run the floor and get easy points. I didn't think he would be able to do that. Oh, and the defense, his defense has been much much better than advertised.

In fairness, those Bagley numbers are basically 5 games for him, because the MSU Champions Classic game he played in, he went out 5 minutes into the game with the eye injury and never came back. That is just silly.

I think the thing that has impressed me most about Vernon is his ability to run the floor and get easy points. I didn't think he would be able to do that. Oh, and the defense, his defense has been much much better than advertised.

He plays much better positional defense than was assumed. He uses his hips so well to get into position. He’s also shown a propensity to take charges. Loving the Vernon/Tre combo. Tre has himself a Jah like his brother.

He plays much better positional defense than was assumed. He uses his hips so well to get into position. He’s also shown a propensity to take charges. Loving the Vernon/Tre combo. Tre has himself a Jah like his brother.
His willingness to take charges is one of the things i like about him. It feels like our past bigs haven’t been too willing to take a charge but really this whole team so far has shown they’re willing. We’ve take a lot of charges so far. Oh and Wendells feet were set!!!

His willingness to take charges is one of the things i like about him. It feels like our past bigs haven’t been too willing to take a charge but really this whole team so far has shown they’re willing. We’ve take a lot of charges so far. Oh and Wendells feet were set!!!

The Wendell Carter school of offensive fouls.

This teams willingness to take charges, especially this early in the season, is a very good thing!!

This isn’t meant as a knock on our 17-18 team, but it helps Vernon that he’s our only big in the game. It allows him to do his thing, and our spacing is better.
The negative though, to talk out of both sides of my mouth, is Vernon is our only true big, so foul trouble on him could be a problem for us. My prayer is that Javin can become a little more serviceable as the season goes.

Last edited:
This isn’t meant as a knock on our 17-18 team, but it helps Vernon that he’s our only big in the game. It allows him to do his thing, and our spacing is better.
The negative though, to talk out of both sides of my mouth, is Vernon is our only true big, so foul trouble on him could be a problem for us. My prayer is that Javin can become a little more serviceable as the season goes.
The biggest problem with foul trouble on Vernon is Javin can’t seem to not foul. So he goes in because Carey gets an early second or third foul and immediately gets himself in foul trouble too.

I know that’s why having Marquis Bolden would have been ideal for this team.

I know that’s why having Marquis Bolden would have been ideal for this team.
He would be a massive help, especially since Hurt has been slow out of the gate due to strength issues.

One would think...without Hurt giving us much, and with Javin seemingly taking a step back, that we shouldn't be a good rebounding team. But I love the way this team rebounds.
Vernon is obviously a monster. Jack is as steady on the defensive glass as anyone, but what makes this team special is how great our wings rebound.
Cassius flies through the lane and snags offensive boards at will, Wendell is a big strong wing who also helps rebound, and Tre isn't too shabby himself either. Heck, even Alex has been crashing the glass.

He has been such a huge big man. I have to admit that I was worried with our situation in the paint, but he has delivered thus far. The only concerns are when he has those games that he gets in foul trouble and unfortunately in the ACC he will have some of those games. We struggle in the paint when he is on the sidelines, but Coach will figure something out. He is the GOAT

Vernon has been sensational. It makes me wonder why some people 'downgraded' him after initially thinking he was the bomb. Well, I'm no expert, but he damn well looks like the bomb to me.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Vernon was named Co ACC POW. Does anyone know who he shared it with?

Found it: he shared it with GT’s Michael Devoe!

Vernon won ACC Freshmen of the Week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT